1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

para or disco taming pets

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by Damia TMC, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Damia TMC

Damia TMC Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I have a question for those who know the answer to this. I have always been told that if you para tame a pet it's stats will be lower so it's never a good idea to para-tame. Tonight I was told that that para-taming is okay it's discord taming you don't want to do, if you discord tame a pet it's stats will never go back to what they should be. My question is ... is it bad to para or disco tame?
    thanks

2. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

Discord taming has no negative effects on the pet. You will have to wait for the discord to wear off, if you need to re-lore the pet. You have to wait for the skill timer before you can begin taming. Those are just minor inconveniences, there is no real harm to discording the pet.

Paralyze taming causes the post-tame Skills to be 4% lower than if it were tamed without paralyze. It has no effect on the Stats (HP, STR, etc.) of the pet. Additionally, it lowers the skill cap of the pet. This is where you can run into problems. If the pet can have greater than GM skills (e.g. Rune Beetle or Greater Dragon) it loses part of the skill cap off those skills, which results in an inferior pet tan if it were tamed without paralyze. All skills can always be trained to 100, so for pets which cannot get greater than GM skills (e.g. Cu Sidhe) it's simply a matter of more training time. In short:
    • Do not Para-Tame pets which can have above GM skills.
    Peace taming has no negative effect on the pet. You have to wait for the skill timer before you can begin taming.

This thread is still accurate: http://stratics.com/community/threa...ies-on-pets-during-the-taming-process.243380/

Stayin Alive,

BG

kitiara-atlantic likes this.
  3. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

What Barry said :D I've never had any issues with a pet after it was disco'd. I just tell the pet to stay after it's tamed, move out of range and wait a minute, then the disco effect has worn off and the pet is back to normal.

Para taming used to be a sure fire way to get your target pet really angry and puffing fire, I got dragon-chomped badly the first and only time I tried it on a dragon - he magic arrowed himself, broke his para and ate me. I took the hint!

I only para tame cu sidhe that I don't intend to keep, and even then I really only para tame when I'm tired and likely to get stuck on a bit of terrain and eaten. You can safely use para on pets whose skills aren't above GM, as that only takes you down an extra 4% skills and you can still train them back up again. But I don't, because it just means extra training time at the end and it's always quicker to just buckle up and do a basic lead tame.

Wenchy

Barry Gibb and kitiara-atlantic like this.
  4. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

Doesn't para-taming also make them lose hp, intel, and str which cannot be worked back up?

5. Aibal

Aibal Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

No. I've tamed Cu's via para taming for years. All it costs is an extra hour (or less) to get them to GM in their skills. HP, Intel, and Str are unaffected.

6. kitiara-atlantic

kitiara-atlantic Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

That's correct. Paralyze taming only affects skills. It does not affect hit points, resists, or stats.

All tamed pets lose 10% off of their wild skills upon taming, but paralyze tamed pets lose an additional 4% (for a total 14% skill penalty). Like Barry and Wenchy said, paralyze taming won't permanently affect anything as long as you're doing it on pets whose skills only go up to 100/GM. The additional 4% penalty from paralyzing can be trained back up. But if the pet can have skills higher than 100/GM (such as a rune beetle's poisoning skill or a greater dragon's magery skill), then that additional 4% skill penalty is permanent on those over-GM skills. They cannot be trained back up that 4%.

7. Aibal

Aibal Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I understand that Kit. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I agree with Barry and Wench when they say don't do it on pets whose skill go above GM. I never para tame any pet other than Cu's. Trying this on pets whose skills go above GM can really hurt an otherwise awesome pet. However, for Cu's, it's about speed for me.....farm them to get what I want, tame, release and kill as fast as possible.