1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Parry] Parry Skill with no Shield

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by Katrena, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Katrena

Katrena Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Hi,

If you have 120 Parry with no shield or Bushido, do you still Parry a certain percentage or is it zero?

Thanks, Katrena

2. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Hopefully someone else will confirm this.

But I think it's with a 2-hander, you parry at half. (So 60, if real Parry is 120.)

And with a 1-hander I'm also thinking it's at half, but it has not been that way for as long.

-Galen's player

3. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

You can find accurte block chance calculations here:
    http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/combat.php

They have never steered me wrong.

Stayin Alive,

BG

4. Katrena

Katrena Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I do not understand the results from the "Chance to Block on Attack" calculator. There is no difference between a one or two handed weapon when no shield is equipped. I used 120 Parry and 150 Dex for these results. For some reason, it shows these same results when I add 100 Bushido, which I thought would make a difference. Also, is there a difference between Parrying and Blocking?

Chance of blocking with a shield: 35%
    Chance of blocking with a 1-handed weapon: 20%
    Chance of blocking with a 2-handed weapon:20%

Thanks, Katrena

5. Vexxed

Vexxed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The BLOCK CHANCE calculator may be borked! I was trying to remind myself what 80 dex, 120 bush/parry and two handed weapon gave as a block chance and the calculator wasnt working for me today. Have to retry it to confirm.

6. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

It appears the calculator is not accepting entries for Bushido skill. The formulas/mechanics given below the calculator are accurate though.

Stayin Alive,

BG

#6 Barry Gibb, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  7. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

With Parrying (only), the chance to block an attack is greatest with a shield. The chance to block an attack with either an 1H or 2H weapon is the same. Review of the formulas shows your chance to block with a weapon without the Bushido skill will always use the Legacy formula (since the New formula calculates to 0% chance at 0.0 Bushido). The Legacy formula for 1H and 2H weapon block chance is the same, this is why there is no difference.

The calculator appears to not be accepting Bushido input, at the moment. Given your above entries (120 Parry, 100 Bushido, >80 Dex), it should return:
    Chance of blocking with a shield: 10%
    Chance of blocking with a 1-handed weapon: 30%
    Chance of blocking with a 2-handed weapon: 34%

Your chance to block with a weapon will increase with your Bushido skill, however your chance to block with a shield will decrease. With Bushido, your chance to block will use the New formulas, not the Legacy formulas.

Blocking and Parrying are synonymous. A successful block/parry prevents the attack from landing and doing damage (not including weapon Hit xx effects). This is an independent combat mechanic than the % Chance to Hit (given earlier on that page).

Stayin Alive,

BG

8. Cephas [V]

Cephas [V] Journeyman

Having read all that, and not to derail the thread, but what then is the special move Block? What does it do, and how does it affect/augment Parry?

9. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

http://www.uoguide.com/Block

-Galen's player

10. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

The Block Chance calculator has been fixed. Thank you Stratics Team. :thumbup:

Stayin Alive,

BG