1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pet summoning in Ilshenar

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by Coppelia, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Coppelia

Coppelia Guest

Publish 55 :
    "Players can no longer summon pets via the pet summoning ball in Ilshenar"

What do you think about it?
    I don't understand why we shouldn't be able to summon our pets in Ilshenar. I don't associate pet summoning to recall/gate. I don't know, it was just a more comfortable way to go to a hunting spot without dragging your pets all along the way.
    Since the BoS change, hunting in Ilshenar is not very practical, but I don't understand why making it even less pratical? Were we overpowered in PvM? ('cause apart for Siege, Ilshenar is PvM only)

I don't understand where does that change come from... :sad4:

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I don't think we were ever supposed to be able to summon them in actually, we've been enjoying the benefits of an unfixed bug, if I understand correctly.

The recent changes to pet commands does make it easier to take a pet through hostile territory without losing it, plus there are three places that I know of in Ilshenar where you can claim a pet from the stable. Admittedly they're all in roughly the same area. Maybe it would be possible to ask for these to be more evenly spaced through the facet, or even a couple of additional ones to be added.

3. EnigmaMaitreya

EnigmaMaitreya Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It wont have any effect on me, as I mostly have just given up on Teleport/Recall in Ilshenar anyway. It is just way to inconsistent to know when I can or can not.

4. Sarphus

Sarphus Guest

I think it was a waste of dev time if it took much time to change. Especially when you consider you can just relog to get your pet (presumeably)

5. Coppelia

Coppelia Guest

Yeah that's true... :/

6. UO Relic

UO Relic Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Can still take your pet out of stable but leave him in a safe location, run to safe spot close to where you want to hunt in Ish and log out/in now your pet will be beside you. This way still saves time than trying to drag your pet thru some areas.

7. Shanna

Shanna Guest

It does seem like an unnecessary change. When I use my greater dragon to hunt, I hope on my ethy, runto the hunting grounds, and summon. Now, in order to run to the grounds, I can do it with a slow pet that gets caught on everything or just run on foot which takes a while.

8. EnigmaMaitreya

EnigmaMaitreya Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

This is one of the big issues for me, the seemingly constantly getting hung up on something.

The ability to summons the pet was, as first glance, an apparent solution to this problem for me. The realities of the limited places you can summons a pet and the total inability to predict (I know you all know them by heart by virtue of being in the game when it happened) when and were I can summons a pet, has just simply put that ability on the side for me (as in unused).

9. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I was kind of surprised to see this listed in the publish notes because I could have sworn pet summoning balls didn't work in Ilshenar. Did they inadvertently start working there, someone realized it and this changes things back to how they were?

10. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

You couldn't summon a pet when it was in Ilshy, but you could park it at a moongate and run where you need it, then summon said pet. I think that's the bit which was changed.

I don't mind it, you don't have to run that far to get to different areas in Ilsh and now pet AI is working, it's much easier to pull pets past spawn too. I think it's better that than having pets standing losing loyalty while owners go to a hunt spot. Maybe they were getting too many pages about pets going wild or something.

Wenchy

11. Coppelia

Coppelia Guest

Well that won't help if the solution is to let the pet out somewhere, go to hunting spot and log off log in to get it at your feet. If the problem really was pets going wild while waiting at the moongate to be summoned, they should have let pets being summoned from stable to Ilshenar.
    I think it's more related to someone believing it's a good idea to link pet summon and recall and some random guy years later who saw that it was still possible to do it in Ilshenar and took the initiative to remove the possibility.

Well, whatever. I'll relog if I need to get a slow pet to a far hunting spot. Devs fail again.

12. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

That's absolutely true, although I'd guess that they wanted us to walk pets through and forgot about the re-log pet summoning thing. Or that's also getting fixed. With EA prediction is futile these days lol.

Wenchy

13. Anakena

Anakena Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I have always thought it was funny that in an online game, sometimes the best way to control a pet was to log off:bdh:

14. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

It's the UO equivalent of a timeout :D Just a pity my RL pup thought when mum went into the next room, she was free to cause more trouble unsupervised. I'm glad my greater draggy doesn't think like my pup ;)

Wenchy