1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Picking skills to start with vs training from zero

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Gellor, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Gellor

Gellor Guest

This is more of the generic picking skills to start with question than any template in particular.

So, what skills do you think are "must" start with at 50?

To aid, lets go for some generic groups of skills:
    Taming skills: vet, taming, lore
    Fighting skills: weapon skill/wrestle, tactics, anatomy, healing, bushido, ninja
    Magery skills: magery, eval, necro, spirit, spellweave, med, focus
    Crafting skills: smith, tailor, arms lore, tinker, carpentry, lumberjack, mining
    "Thief" skills: hiding, stealth, steal, snoop
    Misc: resist, poison

I've got no templates coming up so I am presenting this as a curiosity and/or aid to newbie players:scholar:

2. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Well, really anything that takes resources, should be one. Except magery/necro, as LRC takes care of this. Or anything that is painful to raise. Such as taming to 50. Id take taming, forget lore, its very easy to raise.

So for each of those, id suggest
    Taming: Take Tame, and maybe vet. (again depending on template)
    Fighting: Take healing, and either bush or ninja
    Magery: whatever you wanna take. magery can be done free, EI goes with it, necro is free, spirit is easy, spellweave maybe. Med and focus raise so fast, dont pick them.
    Crafting: Take tailor, and tink. Tink to make tools, tailor cause it costs a fair amount if you dont get leather/cloth yourself.
    Thief: stealth cant be taken, hiding is easy to raise IMO. So maybe steal and snoop?
    Misc: Poison for sure. Resist is easy, LRC suit, and cast on yourself.

3. archite666

archite666 Guest

the guy above me hit it pretty well.

Taming would be definite, but you don't want to be a tamer *invokes jedi magic*

4. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Well, here are all the skills and a general guide as to how hard they are to raise, 0-50 with 1 being the easiest, 5 being the hardest. If you're starting a new character, it's a decent guide on what to start with:

Alchemy - 4, requires lots of reagents and skill timer.
    Anatomy - 1, just fight stuff.
    Animal Lore - 1, just lore stuff, or goes up easy with taming.
    Animal Taming- 5, skill timer and a PAIN to raise.
    Archery - 3, requires arrows.
    Arms Lore - 1, skill timer.
    Begging - No clue.
    Blacksmithy - 4, requires ingots and skill timer.
    Bowcraft/Fletching - 4, requires boards and skill timer.
    Bushido - 5 sort of - If you have access to bushido jewelry, then it's a 1. If you don't have access to bushido jewelry, take bushido because you can't raise without it.
    Carpentry - 4, requires boards.
    Cartography - No clue. I think a 2, cause all you have to do is buy blank maps.
    Chivalry - 1, LRC and cast.
    Cooking - 4, requires fish or other things to cook.
    Detect Hidden - 5 (I THINK)
    Discordance - 3, discord people in town.
    Evaluating INT - 1, raises easily with magery.
    Fencing - 2, fight stuff.
    Fishing - 4, slow raising.....
    Focus - 0, just run around.
    Healing - 3, keep healing.
    Hiding - 2, 10 sec skill timer.
    Inscription - 4, requires scrolls, reagents, mana.
    Lockpicking - 4 (I THINK)
    Lumberjacking - 2, just hit trees.
    Mace Fighting - 2, fight stuff.
    Magery - 1, LRC suit.
    Meditation - 1, waste mana.
    Mining - 2, hit a mountain.
    Musicianship - 1, double click an instrument.
    Necromancy - 1, LRC suit.
    Ninjitsu - 3 a little slow but ok.
    Parrying - 2, get 10 sheep to constantly whack at you.
    Peacemaking - 2, area peace.
    Poisoning - 5 slow, painful.
    Provocation - 5, slow, painful.
    Remove Trap - 5 (I THINK)
    Resisting Spells - 1 if you are a mage (cast on yourself), 3 if you are not (easiest to just train up magery just to train resist then drop it later).
    Spell Weaving - I really don't know, assuming 1 with magery.
    Spirit Speak - 1, skill timer.
    Stealing - 3, (I THINK)
    Stealth - Can't start with this
    Swordsmanship - 2, hit stuff.
    Tactics - 1, hit stuff - goes up with weapon skills.
    Tailoring - 3, requires cloth.
    Tinkering - 4, requires ingots.
    Tracking - Don't know.
    Wrestling - 2, hit stuff.

5. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

One thing to note. As many would take alchemy as a crafter skill I would not. Here is why. It takes a bit to get going, regs aint cheap. However myself, with only GM mage, on my crafter, would farm mummies. Summon an EE, and use my beetle. Attack with EE first, then blue bug. Would make 60k/hr with it, get loads of aids (to sell or use), and each one had 5 garlic. Now, I used GC all the way to GM. I had 4k garlic quickly from mummies, and never used it all to GM. Getting to 70, cost me about 90k, to buy the regs from NPCs.

6. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I disagree. If you are a 100% new player to the shard, always take a fighting skill. Reason?

"Bunny bashing". Farming leather at Jhel and Glow is the best way to make money for a start up char, ever. Realistically, you could grab a decent weapon off the ground, kill bulls/cows for 3-4 and make 100k+. Skills go up to 70 far too quickly here. And even if they were a mage, I'd suggest taking inscribe or something, as it is harder to raise.

7. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Bruin, looks good. Thanks:bowdown:

8. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I dont agree that a wep skill is needed as a 100% new. I was 100% new when I came here. And I started a crafter off the hop. I used a blue bug, and or summons. I spent my first month in Delucia. Wacking with either summons, or my bug, and going to the bank. I also mined there, and lumberjacked. I sheered sheep and made cloth.

Now some are gonna say you cant summon in town, but you can if you walk outside the gate, summon and EE, and walk back into town.

9. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

both bushido and ninja require you to have 25 skill to start training. so both of them if you pick to start then start at 25. if you dont pick then you need to borrow the jewels to raise your skill to 25 to start training.
    both are easy to train at 0-50
    Lorddog

10. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

I'd put stealing as a 4, it's a pain moving items back to the packy.
    Detect Hidden is a 3 using npc crates, just click and wait, click and wait.

Or however you adjust it to fit your scale.

11. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Agrees, on both parts. It's too bad you can't start with any points in remove traps...that is a bugger, I have only gotten into the 40's, and that was with eating a couple of those neat little SoTs...la

12. Have you tried the backroom in west trinsic bank?

13. Carto's more of a 4....it and remove trap were the worst 2 skills I've trained so far....detect although time consuming, it isn't a hard skill to train. Poisoning takes cash, not the player, but gold to earn a keg and even then, ugh.

14. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Nah, it wasn't that important a skill to master, so I have it sitting on a stone in my bank. LOL. Been too busy working up my dexxer and poison skills as of late. Poisoning isn't too bad as long as you are training Alchemy at the same time. No need for kegs either...just flip flop alchemy training to poison after making 100 pots or so of the needed poison level...la

15. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

You are probably looking for a temporary template, a template which you will
    run up to only 70.0 in skill points per selected skill.

I suggest for this temporary template the skills:
    Magery (50.0), Chivalry(50.0),Tactics, Anatomy, one weapon skill and any two other skills
    you prefer. Just try them out until you get to 70.0 skills points, then chose or
    drop as you stituation changed from being new to familar with Siege Perilous.
    By then, you should know what you want.

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

16. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Personally, I'm not starting any new characters.

I've got my crafter fully developed aside from lumberjacking. I've got my other char 80% developed. The "killer" being poisoning and even then it wasn't too bad since I was working alchy on my crafter when I started the char. Just ROT gains now.

Working skills is always nice when you have resources/money available when you start a character. You can get your bushido/ninja jewelry and avoid picking either of those as a starting skill.

As an example, my crafter started with 100gold :eek: I didn't spend a cent working up his mining, smithing, tailoring, carpentry, lumberjacking, or tinkering. When I started working alchemy, I had a modest cash reserve and bought the regs I needed.

My mage was "given" an lrc suit and mage wand. So again, no money spent on magery skills or poisoning because of the alchy on my crafter:lick:

The reason I brought this question up is I saw an established character working taming... "you see legendary mage taming a rabbit":hahaha::hahaha:

17. how do i get poison up

18. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

small point, you can't start with spellweaving, you can't train that till you've done the quest.

Stealing is easiest if you use UOA. Put the items in a back pack, put the back pack on the packie (or just on the floor somewhere in Buccs Den). Steal the items, pick the pack up, use 'organiser agent' to re-fill it.

Cooking is easy to train, pick wheat from Brit farms, turning that into flour gets gains, then turn the flour into bread, which stacks.

19. SavageSP

SavageSP Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Pull the Poison tab out of your skill menu, Dbl klk it, target poison, target an apple/food or dagger/kryss , wait 10 seconds, repeat

Start with lesser poison and have a method to cure and heal yourself until you hit 80 poisoning.
    Sell your body to an alchemist for all the lesser/reg/greater kegs of Poisons

(I cant find my poisoning chart atm, so from memory)
    0-37 lesser poison
    37-65 reg poison
    65-95ish greater poison -whenever you stop gaining switch to deadly, some say greater will take you to GM