1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pixel Colour Customization Possible?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by King_Fisher, Jun 7, 2012.

1. King_Fisher

King_Fisher Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I just had a thought, instead of just dunking our objects (Armour, Clothing, etc) into the dye tubs of UO would it ever be possible to get a zoom feature to dye individual pixels? Turn your robes into a guild emblem. Add your makers mark to armour in a bullseye shaded pattern? I just thought it would be cool to be able to customize the finest details. Give your favorite PvP/PvM weapon an edge of reddness like blood, or a few jewels to your mages gnarled staff, etc. Also Allow us to toggle which armour/clothing spots can be visible. That way we aren't all running around in robes. I know both of these changes will lead to god awful designs and the return of naked people to the world, but why not eh?

2. MagicStar

MagicStar Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Id love to go streaking through a dungeoun

3. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I suspect the end worth of being able to dye every pixel would in the end be a bit less exciting than it sounds.

What I would like to see... and something I have a particular mindset for implementation along a similar standard already used for UO... is the ability to dye a single item with multiple hues. Knowing how UO handles its current hue system, and also knowing that much of what should be able to be hued isn't properly because later DevTeams either forgot or ignored that they shouldn't be creating cloth in full color, I'm certain a system could be implemented where you could dye different portions of an item with different colors. Now, mind you, it would require some retooling of existing artwork to make it work, but the system would also work in a 3D/textured environment too as long as the standards were adhered to.

Thus, say you had a candle... under the system I'd see implemented, you could manufacture the base of it in an appropriate metallic color (either through ingots or the metal dyetub -- though... ugh... what a goofy dye tub), and then you could dye the candle itself another color (perhaps a combination of the plant pigments and beeswax to do so... thus adding a use for beeswax AND another use for plant pigments).

So many systems, so much improvement could be made.

But in short, I'd rather see multi-hue objects implemented at some point rather than "dye every pixel." Allowing someone to change every pixel, in essence, would allow things to fall outside the flavor of the game, which would be a bad idea if you ask me.

4. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

*imagines the number of shields with swastikas or phallus on them*

No... Just no.

MalagAste likes this.
  5. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Not without a large investment of dev time. So nope.

6. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

^^ This ^^

7. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

All it would take is just one, and the feature would be yanked.

It's why with all of EA's acquisitions, they never acquired Second Life or anything approaching it. It's also why they would be careful about Minecraft-style games.

8. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Geeesh!
    And I thougth i was a bit off tonight.. kiddo your in need of sleep.... your mind has you bean counting the pixels!!!

We have some weird sence of humor players ... all I can say is no... not that can of worms!!!!

Sauteed Onion likes this.
  9. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

well we can dream cant we!
    *puts shield back into chest, gently covers the Clan of the Flaccid Phallus crest*

MalagAste and Martyna Zmuir like this.
  10. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

LOL :lol:

I used to play SL about 5 years ago. It became all bout sex, furries, and gorean trash...

Not that I think UO would devolve that far, but yeah just the overhead to police these items would be wildly prohibitive.

11. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I gotta say no on this too. There are things I just don't want to see.

Sauteed Onion likes this.
  12. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I would rather them come up with a different way to hue items and allow crafters to enhance the look of the items.

The patterns could be placed on the clothing/armor with the crafter able to keep a master list much like recipes. Perhaps crafters have to obtain pattern etchings from locations around the world to be able to enhance certain items with that emblem. The shrines for the symbols of the virtues and have other famous symbols/objects around the world... have special ones in dungeons that crafters have to band together with people to protect them or protect themselves. It would be a mini-collection game and could be used to place crests on items like breastplates, robes, cloaks, etc. It would require the artwork to be redone, but since the patterns are pre-approved they wouldn't require babysitting and possibly a system could be put in place to dye multiple parts of the patterns/symbols much like banners. They could in the future also incorporate towns/guilds or hold contests for future pattern additions with the players doing the artwork.

*wistful sigh*

Woodsman and Mirt like this.
  13. Ashlynn_L

Ashlynn_L Lore Master

The stuff you want is much easier in a game that uses 3d (ie: guild tabards, mariokart DS icons, L4D tags, a bunch of other stuff I can't remember right now that players can make, etc). UO doesn't use 3d so it won't happen. Btw it's also the reason we only get rehued stuff instead of new wearables and the like.

But hey, keeps the game classic right? =P

14. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

would be neat to be able to multi- hue things like they do clothing in Rift. It would probably require new art that is two shades that they can add programming to. I am guessing the reason we have a monochromatic dye system is they at least have the unpainted version of the art. The pianos in the sneak peek post were created and programmed to easily host different colors, so if they wanted to, and I know they don't want to, but they could be made to be customizable with a dye tub where only the color parts would change color. This is why we don't get plants with green stalks and colored flowers. The art would have to be done with that in mind.

15. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

actually, much of the new art is created in a 3D program and then shot at a certain angle to appropriate for the isometric platform. The banners that are availble with the UO symbol would have been created in a 3D program. The symbol would have been applied to the surface as a texture picture file just as if it were for a 3D game. But then its set at the angle and a save is made and used in the same way the pixel art is. If the texture picture file of the symbol was applied in color, then we are stuck with those colors. If they built it in grey hues, then the end result could be re-hued.

I am guessing that the pets that come in many colors were done like this in EC. I only wish that the original art was shot with deeper contrast and had some texturing so they wouldn't look so plastic.

16. Ashlynn_L

Ashlynn_L Lore Master

They might have been created in a 3d program but the game is not 3d. And we're talking about the animated stuff - swords, wearables and the like, not static art assets such as furniture and banners. I think grimm has already hinted at how much work goes into working with those.

I assume what the person in the opening post would like to do (and I also think would be pretty great) is if you could do something like make a small symbol for your guild and have it appear on the paperdoll and avatar on a robe (ick) or something. The former might be possible (because it's static but if it's only on the paperdoll, it misses half the point) but the latter is not going to happen in the current clients.

And as I said, it's the same reason we don't get new wearables outside of big expansions. And it's the same reason we don't get the really fun dance and gesture animations that used to exist in the third dawn client. And it's the reason they haven't bothered putting in art assets for the fur boots, fur cape, gilded robe and flower garland even though they existed in the third dawn client. And and and. You get the point.