1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Players with EM in front of there name.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by MrNiceMNC, May 20, 2010.

1. MrNiceMNC

MrNiceMNC Journeyman

1 person banned, others makeing char's named after popular atlantic em's and trying to sell clothes with the mark. Are dev's gonna make it so you cant put EM in front of your name like GM or what?

2. Demonous

Demonous Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

i hate when people get banned for creativity :(

3. Tazar

Tazar Guest

It's a long-standing rule that you are not allowed to impersonate EA staff - for good reasons.

4. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Item 4 of the Rules of Conduct

4) You may not impersonate any Ultima Online Customer Support representative or other employee of Origin Systems.

EM's are paid by EA/Mythic... They are employees.

5. MrNiceMNC

MrNiceMNC Journeyman

im not banned just know someone who was, i think its a good rule, but they shouldnt allow players to make characters with EM in front of there name. Its a simple change isent it? just dont alow it on creation and with name change tokens. The End.

6. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Oh I agree its something they should do... Rares collectors pay stupid crazy amounts for Event Items... Sucks some people try to take advantage of that.

7. I guess this is against the rules and all, but if you are stupid enough to pay 54,000,000,000 gold for some robe because it says EM So-and-so on it, you almost deserve what you get. rolleyes:

8. DarkVoid

DarkVoid Guest

If they make sure they don't break popular names beginning with "em" in their name, this would be a good idea. Allowed are such like this:

Emily
    Emmanuel
    etc.

Proper names beginning with em should not be banned from creation simply because there is an "em" in their name.

They have made changes like this before, and the filter system just blindly applies it to everything with the banned phrase in it without checking for case.

I do not want to see them stuff up on such a simple change.

9. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

There could already be players that use Em for a characters name since it is short version of Emily. Someone might even have a character named Em with a last name. The best solution for something like this is the EMs should have UOEM(ultima online event Moderators, and no one should be allowed to make a characters name with UOEM at the begining of it.

10. jack flash uk

jack flash uk Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

there was a player in Europa that i gave a house to, a returning player, when i checked the house a few weeks later it was owed by a char, can't remember the full name but it started with E.M *********** which i thought was odd, a few weeks ago i was at its idoc guess i know what happened

so names that start with Em(ily) etc are fine its the E M initals that are bannable

11. Coppelia

Coppelia Guest

Like in EMILY?
    Caps are allowed.
    They don't have a proper filter. And you are just too much in an assisted state of mind. Automatization isn't a solution. The solution is to take you responsabilities and behave.
    I'm fed up with stupid filters, intrusive security programs, etc.

12. Tazar

Tazar Guest

"Oh, Auntie Em!"

I think Dorothy will stay lost in Oz without Auntie Em...

13. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I have an Emily...

And yes it will break things just like there are certain combination of letters you can NOT use in the creation of a character name...... (off the top of my head I can't think of them right now, but I know they are pretty dumb) anyway the thought of adding EM to the list of letters you can't put together is kinda dumb.... but... NO ONE.... should be able to use the names of EM's... and anyone trying to "fake" that should get banned... permanently.

It's in my opinion a purposeful and blatant violations of the ToS. No one "accidentally" names a character "EM Insert-any-EM's-name-here"... It's obviously done to defraud the other players.... and the penalty for doing so should be steep. But to penalize creativity because of it and to take away yet more character names because of it is silly.

*Though being one of the very last and few Emily's might be cool one day... No, No.... that's bad.

14. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

again, typical EA biting into an orange thinking it is an apple.

news flash to devs: if there is something you can do in the game, people are going to do it.

HELLO? ARE YOU OUT THERE? STOP BANNING PEOPLE!

we need block/ban/gm reform. and we have needed it for years and years.

15. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

I don't trust it to be done right. You can't name a character Titus because of the first three letters it possesses. I'm sure people can think of others.

I'd rather they leave it in and ban the troublemakers when they find them.

Jack_UO likes this.
  16. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

And if you do something offensive or against the rules, there are consequences.

The banned individual broke the TOS trying to scam someone. The banning was the correct action.

17. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

I have had numerous names that I have been brought to jail for, never banned since I wasnt making a profit off of them. I really like the funny names, most kids that play the game don't know what they mean, and once they do, its funny not dirty. The names I have been brought in for

Buster Hymen
    Craven Moorehead
    Ultima Online (yes that was paged on)
    Anita BJ

18. No, what we need is to get rid of cheaters and scammers.

19. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

I PvP, thats pretty much it. You trammys cheat WAY more than us fellucca people ever will. You dont see too many PvPer farming gold, farming resources, farming items, all of which is done mainly with scripts.

As fas as being scammed, thats your fault. I have watched people get scammed and all I can do is LOL at them since if you get a deal thats just too good.... guess what, it is.

20. What we need is both. Get rid of cheaters and scammers, as well as block/ban/gm reform.

21. Wait "we" Trammies cheat? Are you implying that I cheat? Also, if you take a look around, you will find that I am on the side of PvPers, even if I got bored with it and stopped doing it a while back.

I don't disagree with that. Gold farmers are a HUGE problem in this game. So are speeders. Cheating = Cheating.

As I said in my first post, if you are stupid enough to buy something because it says "EM so-and-so" on it, then you probably deserved to get scammed...but the problem is, the people running that particular scam are violating an actual rule...not just exploiting someone's stupidity.

Again...Cheating=Cheating.

22. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

"you" is a general term, unbunch your panties.

I get accused of speed hacking all the time. Not my fault I can afford an extremely over powered, over clocked PC. I'm not running anything, never have. I just find it funny that when I kill a player thats not as good as me it's instantly "YOU HACKING &%^". These changes are not going to change anything. Some of us are good, some of you are not. Going to stay that way.

23. No bunching...thong! :)

There are whiners in every game. People accuse me of hacking in BF:2 as well. I don't hack, I am just a good shot.

But it doesn't mean that cheating is okay, and that nothing should be done about it.

24. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

in case you forgot, scamming is perfectly legal in UO.

25. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

I don't think it is.. I think it's more of a "they won't do anything" type of thing.

The TOS says something like not causing grief to other players, etc.

Edit: So in effect, I guess you're mostly right.

26. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

My favorite was I wasn't able to name one of my Tinker's (who is named for the creator of the M5 computer in classic Star Trek) packies "Constitution" - oh, the irony in that prohibition....

27. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I think one of my guildmates was paged on for "Richard Cranium" (and that's not even obvious)

Then there was Minstrel Flo (who WAS a bard, after all)

and another guildmate with a character named Anita Bigjohnson.

28. Nexus

Nexus Site Support

Naming your toon for the purpose of impersonating a EA/Mythic employee isn't....

The issue isn't scamming really it's the name of the characters, it's a violation of the ROC.

29. Thunderz

Thunderz Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Its funny you would post this just as these items pop up on atlantic (where i see you sat every day)

[​IMG]

Trying to get your items become a little rarer!!!

Thunderz

30. It's obivious that Stratics has a few posters (not aimed at you Nexus) that do not want to abide by EA's TOS or RoC.

31. Konge

Konge Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

We also need players to actually read the ToS, it was quoted at least twice in this thread. You obviously haven't read it.

EM's are employee's of EA.

ToS clearly states you cannot impersonate an EA employee.

Naming your char EM <CharName> is impersonating an employee, breaking the ToS thus ample reason to ban.

32. dragonthorn

dragonthorn Guest

I also saw this the other day and had to chuckle, it's like asking to be banned. I would get rid of the fake EM items asap if I was him. I wonder how many fake EM items he has sold....I see these types of items at luna all the time.

33. Fink

Fink Guest

I actually have a character named Uoem.

I don't feel I should have to change it to appease someone who wasted gold on a piece of cloth with a GM tailor's name on it. If they're going to trade in rares, or anything at all, check the facts and check the prices.

34. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

In case you can't read, they tried scamming someone BY BREAKING THE TOS.

Someone breaking the TOS is subject to being banned. Thus, again, the banning was the correct action.

35. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

only if you are indeed impersonating an EA employee. you can't accidentally impersonate.

also, the TOS says nothing about punishment. the punishment should be a name change to random NPC name. not a ban. get a grip people. please.

36. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

scamming was actionable, it is not anymore morgane. i'm just stating facts.

37. Who would be fooled by that? Actual EM items don't have that crafted by, do they? I haven't seen any that do.

38. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Incorrect. Actually, as far as I have found, the only punishment mentioned in the TOS is a termination of membership, which is a ban.
    I also see a difference between an offensive name, and an impersonation of an EA employee.

39. Konge

Konge Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Uh-huh. Just like you can't dress up like a cop and pretend to be one, right? Same thing with a doctor?

By giving yourself the name "EM <blah blah blah>" Despite whether or not you can look like one is still impersonating an EA employee as it's common knowledge that the EM prefix refers to event moderator and not everyone knows that it's not declined by the create char page like GM blah blah blah is.

The ToS says nothing about punishment? Says who? You obviously didn't read it. Don't play that game with me, you're not good at it.

40. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

I was wrong, you are right it does specifically talk about punishment. while it is up to the GM to decide on what action to take including a name change. it is probably CS policy to suspend an account for impersonating an EM, and this could lead to a ban if there are other infractions.

it is my opinion I feel that the punishment should be a name change, because I don't think people should be able to create names with "EM_" in the beginning in the first place. this woud not exclude names like Emily as discussed in another thread. they might have to exlude names like EMILY or EMily though.

and

and

41. slaveone

slaveone Guest

Personally i think it's kinda funny. To me the biggest scammers of them all were the people parading around after these events and trying to hawk EM or GM or whatever M items for 30-50 million. That to me is a total scam!!! A friggin Robe with a EM name or some Sash or whatever sorry but that's not worth squat. The real scammers are the people selling the "legit" items and wanting crazy millions for them. These dumb clothing event items especially ones with no mods and some ****** EM name are just flat out garbage and anyone willing to buy said items from a "legit" or "unlegit" seller deserves what they get legit or not its a scam to me either way!!

42. I don't get the appeal of these items either. I got a few of them, because I happened to be in the right place at the right time with friends...but I have seen people selling these "EM so-and-so" sashes and robes for crazy prices.

To each their own I guess...I never buy items in the game unless they serve a purpose...so I am not what you would call a "rares collector".

43. Konge

Konge Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

This person didn't acidently name their char EMily or anything like that, they named their person EM (SPACE) <CHAR NAME> Which I've templated earlier in my replies, the person then sold items with the craft by tag for large amounts of gold.

That's scamming, by impersonating an Event Moderator, who is an employee of EA. So under your own quoted passages from the ToS, that's a name that directly violates the ToS which is grounds for a termination of the account.

44. Konge

Konge Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

...? You contradict yourself, repeat yourself, and make very little sense... do you even understand what you said?

The people selling fake items aren't scammers, but the people selling items actually created by an EM are scammers...? Do you even know what a scam is?

45. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

this is but one necessary facet out of many needed to compete.

speed hacking is something entirely different and every time, one of you pretend to claim otherwise.

btw, overclocking doesn't do anything for uo. that part was really stupid on your part, just a decent dual or quad with decent video and isp is what you should have said. but overclocking really shows how little you know yet you use overclocking as a viable explanation for your success. that's very funny to me.

46. BigEv

BigEv Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Good job Thunder for pointing this out.... Too funny! Wonder if he will post to defend this........prolly not.

47. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

EMs are NOT employees of EA. They are independant contractors.

48. Konge

Konge Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

They get paid a wage. They might as well be. That's a technicality and you know it. You're as bad as a Grammar Nazi, oh and by the way.

It's independent. E instead of A. You see, I can be nick-picky, too.

49. cdavbar

cdavbar Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I almost want to buy a name change token to see how long i could last with one of these names lol but who knows, my vollam is named aphu**head and i havnt gotten paged yet lol. (the **) are jsut there to keep this clean hehe on and my Cu is named hunglikeahorse roflmao