1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Please allow us to bind object handles to keys of our choice

Discussion in 'UO Enhanced Client Discussion' started by Llewen, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

This is one of those "Waaaa, I got pwned in Fel!" posts. :)

I just died because of a bug in the 3D engine that the enhanced client uses. Basically if you use the cursor keys to move, and you press "ctrl-shift" at the same time there is a good chance you will start running off on one direction and be unable to change direction or stop. The only fix when that happens is to log off and on.

I use the thumb joystick on my G13 to control my movement, which means I have the cursor keys bound to that joystick. That means that if I happen to accidentally hit ctrl-shift while I am moving, or I make the mistake of trying to bring up object handles when I am moving, I will merrily head off in one direction and be unable to stop.

Unfortunately that happened just now in the middle of a pvp battle and my only option was to log off and on, which of course resulted in a grey world view.

This is an engine problem, as I experience the same issue in Civilization IV which uses the same 3D engine. I've already switched all my keybinds from "ctrl-shift" to "alt-shift", if I could change my object handle keybind to something other than "ctrl-shift" I could probably avoid this problem altogether.

2. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I use ctrl shift to look for my bolas on the floor when i'm running all the time, never experienced this.

3. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

Do you use your cursor keys for movement, or have them bound to a joystick that you use to move, or do you use your mouse to move the way most do in UO? This issue only affects people that use cursor keys to move (or have those cursor keys bound to something like a joystick which they use to move). It's the combination of ctrl-shift and a cursor key that causes this issue.

4. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I have the logitech g110 and with its software I can assign the ctrl+shift macro to any button. For sure there are many program such the logitech one around that could works for every keyboard, because actually is the only way to fix this ;)

5. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

I have ctrl-shift bound to a "G" key on my G13, it still causes the problem because it's the same as pressing those buttons on the keyboard.

6. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

oh no sorry, i use the mouse

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

/Signed re customizable key binding for object handles

Coz I'd asked for the same thing before (but for different reasons though).

8. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

Ya, when it comes to keybinds they should all be customizable. There really is no good reason not to allow this, and plenty of good reasons in support.