1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Please everyone read...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Petra Fyde, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

The announcement at the top of the board.

I'm sure there'll be a multitude of new things for everyone to complain about as a result of it. I'll make sure I've got all my favourite gifs handy when I need them :D

2. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Will receive e-mails of any replies to the post or any re-posts. I'll try my best to answer any questions that you may have.

3. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

What Announcement?

4. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Look at the top of the forums right above the sticky threads...

5. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Oh ok thanks Tazar,

So really what does this mean to us posters? We all have to resign up? or reset our avatar pictures or what..

Gimme some details on what it's all gonna mean..

I bet some people will be concerned over post counts... lol

6. Tazar

Tazar Guest

From what I understand, everything *should* (note disclaimer there) port over to the new forums - but for specific questions, please E-mail Syrus at the address in the post. If we get good questions, I would imagine we could do a FAQ or Q&A type post with more details.

7. Taylor

Your posts, avatars, signatures, PMs, usernames, passwords, etc. will all be carried over. All it means for you is learning a few new tricks for navigating around.

8. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Lies.

9. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Is there a risk that we might loose our Private Messages INBOX and SENT stored messages ?

If so, how do we easily (and quickly without having to do it one at a time...) store them away on our computers ?

Something like select them all and copy or move them onto a folder on our computer, for example....

Thanks.

10. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

and Post Count reset

11. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot

If you select all your PMs, at the bottom is a drop down menu where you can export to TXT files etc. But as said above, Pms should transfer.

12. Taylor

We're going to give Flutter an extra special, pink, fuzzy, fluffy type of avatar of some sort. :p

No, there is no risk. During the initial testing, outgoing and incoming messages were all migrated successfully. Also, if for whatever reason they are not, the old site will still be here--you'll still be able to access them.

Yes, this will happen for some users, as stated in the announcement. However, the old site will still exist. We can simply glance at your old post count and update accordingly.

13. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

YAY!!!

Hey.... wait a minute....

14. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Remember folks this isn't an EA thing, this should actually work, right?

For most of us who stay logged in continuously, is the most that should happen is our cookie expires, and we have to log in? or maybe not even that?
    Will different sections of Stratics come up at different times, or is it a complete down, and then availability restored?

15. Taylor

With 2 million posts, we're certainly a hefty board, but we're a shrimp compared to some of the 10-12 million post boards that have successfully migrated to XenForo. Also, we've already tested the migration system and will be testing again this weekend. The one bug that we did find, one of the three founders of XenForo personally helped correct. I think it should work! But if it doesn't, this site will still be here. We'll simply open it back up.

Yes, you should be able to immediately log into the new system. When we say "downtime," basically we'll just be placing vBulletin into maintenance mode to prevent additional data from being added to the database while the XenForo system reads and copies the database. This actually isn't necessary, but just a precaution to make sure everything is pulled over successfully. When it's in maintenance mode (for three or so hours), the forums won't be accessible but all portals will still be available.

16. Felonious Monk

Stratics Veteran

Geez we've survived so much more than this already......
    Change is good.
    *Crosses fingers*

17. Taylor

I know. I really hope this new software helps fortify our stability. :<

18. Faeryl

Faeryl Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I read this earlier, but wasn't in the best of moods to be saying anything...

It looks good and seems like it'll be a positive change though! :)

19. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable

:D do ya think ya'll could make my permanant mark go *poof*? I really wouldn't mind if it did!!! :D

20. elspeth

elspeth Guest

I think it sounds exciting and good luck with the migration! I am looking forward to the new features.

One thing I've been thinking about lately and wondering if I should ask is this:

Any way to customize the list of forums on a page for myself? e.g. Instead of seeing all UO stratics forums I'd like to have perhaps just UHall, the dev forum, a couple of professions forums and then just one shard forum for my own shard. Is there a way to do that in the current and/or new software?

21. Taylor

Currently, the way to do this is to create custom sidebar column here: http://vboards.stratics.com/usc_cp.php. Add the forum you want to watch and it'll appear in the floating side column that floats on the left side of the forum.

On the new site, there are a couple of ways to do this. First, every forum (for the first time) will have its own RSS feed. Any RSS feeder will allow you to subscribe only to the forums you want. Secondly, we can weight the possibility of installing a plugin that will allow users to "watch" whole forums (akin to "watch threads").

22. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

meh

lorddog

23. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

:)
    Well when or IF ya need em,
    don't forget a gif
    about a lil acorn
    falling on Chicken Little's head
    making for that famous saying,

that the sky is falling !

:pancakes: :)

24. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

That would be this one?
    [​IMG]

25. Taylor

I found this one that I like recently:

[​IMG]

26. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Considering no website I've gone to since the birth of the internet has had more down time than Stratics it certainly can't hurt!

27. Taylor

I can't but agree. The weekly downtime has been completely and utterly unreasonable. I really hope that the new setup will make us a more professional organization.

28. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I was trying to look through the archived threads for some old information and discovered the link to them (i.e., the one in the bottom right corner of the page) no longer works. Will you be fixing this soon and/or will we still be able to look through older threads once you start up the new board? Or are all those old threads permanently gone?

29. Taylor

Will you link to an example?

30. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Hmmm....I'm not sure what you mean, Syrus. I'm talking about the link at the very bottom of the page, the one in the right corner that says "Archive." It used to take you to page after page after page of old threads from the various Stratics forums, including UHall. It wasn't a particularly "pretty" set of pages, but they were functional.

Now when I click on that "Archive" link at the bottom of the page, I end up on this page with a message that says "Oops! This link appears to be broken": http://vboards.stratics.com/sitemap/ . That's why I'm asking if you've temporarily or perhaps permanently gotten rid of the ability to search the archives of various Stratics forums.

31. Taylor

We haven't done anything to them related to the move. Have you been able to access them since our acquisition by TGN?

32. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Here's a screenshot showing which link I'm talking about, Syrus.

Attached Files:

33. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

34. Taylor

I'll ask Stephen if he knows where they are.

35. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Thanks, Syrus.

36. Spiritless

Spiritless Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Stratics inability to run something as simple as a forum in 2012 without tons of downtime, various DB issues and changing the forum software every few years is pretty amusing.

That said, XenForo is a decent, modern forum solution which has the potential to be very decent. This current vBulletin version absolutely sucks and looks and behaves like something from the 90s so I don't blame you guys for wanting an upgrade.

If history is anything to go by, however, excuse me for not having faith that this will be a smooth transition.

37. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Man, tough crowd...

38. Taylor

My job is supposed to be filling portals with content--not doing technical stuff with forums. I'm a writer, not a coder. Unfortunately, the forums are falling apart and there's no one else to do it.

I'm doing the best I can. :(

39. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Syrus, You are simply awesome. Thank you.

40. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

*nods* Especially when considering that the boards are constantly under bot assault. Look at the notes section under reforging information. It claims to have defended itself over 10k times in slightly more than six weeks. And I am willing to bet that that little comment window is not alone.

41. Taylor

One new feature is that we've agreed to create a "Suggestions and Bugs" forum attached to Stratics Central's category. Although we won't be able to implement every suggestion, we think it's important for the whole Stratics community to play a role in the development of our functionality.

Tina, Stephen wasn't sure what happened to the archives, but if you were able to access them recently, they're still on this server somewhere. We're not going to delete these forums, nor anything from this server, for months post-transition. During this time, we will make every effort to locate and re-activate the archived content.

The community's legacy is the most important thing to me. My highest priority is making sure we never lose any users, content, posts, etc. I'll do whatever I can to re-activate the archives.

42. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The most important question, is will my infraction history be carried over?

It would take several years and a lot of patience for me to re-create that history.

43. Taylor

Administrators and moderators will be required to access existing infraction histories on a case-by-case basis and re-apply the points. These forums will remain up, so this history is safe. However, a better option would be to never give them a reason to access your old history and re-apply the points. :)

44. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You're crazy. I like you, but you're crazy.

45. Taylor

Update: locally hosted signatures will not display properly on the new site. See this guide for tips on moving your signature.

46. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

@Syrus, I was just curious, in the new change will any additional features be added, or enabled, as in a "Like/Thanks" Button? I think people might simply want to say I like that! w/o further comment, while giving them increased activity on the board at the same time. I know several in the past have mentioned, just thought I'd ask as well.

47. Taylor

Yes, there will be some new features, including a "like" button! :)

48. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

It is pretty freakin' cool. *chuckles*

49. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Will the new forums finally catch up to 1998 and use CSS instead of having images and javascript for everything? I'd love to be able to look at posts while tethered but stratics eats more bandwidth than youtube with all of it's images, not to mention it just seems silly to have an image of the color blue for the background instead of simply setting the background color.

would probably save you guys a small fortune in bandwidth bills as well :D

50. Taylor

XenForo is very light. Not sure how the backend works (I'm a writer, not a techy), but there's lots of helpful info here: http:XenForo Help | XenForo and XenForo Community.