1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

POLL: Bookmarks Feature

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Nexus, Nov 3, 2015.

?

Do you use the Bookmark Feature?

Poll closed Nov 21, 2015.
  1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No.

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  3. I didn't know you could do this.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

We're interested to know who among our community actually uses the bookmark feature for threads. We're not talking about bookmarking threads in our browser but only on the site.

bookmark.png

Using this Button allows you to mark a Thread which you can then re-access via your Avatar drop down menu.

bookmarkprofile.png

We're curious to know how many members of our Community actually use this feature.

2. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I did not know about that option, but I like it, as I may have a few threads with info, I would like to use this bookmark for, Kojaks UOAM thread is one of them :p but I'm sure I have others with Siege history.

3. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I just "watch thread" instead.

Kirthag and Ron Bron like this.
  4. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

I have never once used that option, I just use "watched thread"

Kirthag likes this.
  5. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

I've never used the feature. I keep a folder for UO in my browser favorites list.

6. Deraj

Deraj Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I have bookmarked a few posts for later reference. So yes, I do use this feature.

7. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

What is the difference between bookmark and watch thread?

8. Deraj

Deraj Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I think that bookmarks are more for saving a specific post in a thread.

FrejaSP likes this.
  9. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

That's the way, I will use it too

10. Elenni

Elenni Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator

Bookmarks allow you to add notes to yourself about what you bookmarked and why, and you can tag the bookmark to categorize them.

So for instance, I bookmark posts or threads that are related to armor crafting and group them, with notes so I know what specific type of information was in it that caused me to want to save it -- and for quickly going back to them. They may not be posts I access often, but they are posts I consider important and useful and that I know I'll want to refer to periodically without having to search for the thread or through an entire thread.

"Watched threads" tend to get overwhelming and don't really include any reference, esp as every thread I reply to becomes Watched.

I use bookmarks extensively and really, really would be lost without them.

Hannes Erich likes this.
  11. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

Just use "Watch Thread" myself

12. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Time for a little update on why we created this poll.

Xenforo's 1.x.x series is marching towards the end of it's life cycle. When Xenforo 2.0 is released a fair number of things will probably change, some will be aesthetic others will be functionality changes. With that in mind, we're starting to look at our Plugins and evaluating those which will be worth updating with 2.0, which we can just scrap due to community disinterest, and we have a few that are used internally to make things easier for the staff, which are no longer supported by their creators, but have been kept because they just work.

So over the new few months as we're looking at plugins that the community interacts with, that add new functionality to Xenforo, you may see additional polls like this crop up. This will let us see exactly what features we should either update, or if the developer decides to drop support, look for an alternative too, and which we should just let go by the wayside, and if they have one stop renewing the license for.

Now the 2.0 release doesn't have a date set yet, other than 2016, so it may be a change that happens in 3 months or 6 or even next December. Right now we don't know but we do realize that it's on the way and want to be prepared to avoid any complications.

Kirthag likes this.
  13. Hannes Erich

Hannes Erich Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I just started using it recently, in pretty much the same way @Elenni describes. It's different from keeping up with watched threads as they come and go; bookmarked posts are more of a long-haul thing, stuff (especially guides) that I'm likely to continue to find useful.

There aren't too many people who seem to use the feature, but this is similar to when the TOL forum became an issue. When you were reminded that this is an eighteen year-old fan site, and a lot of old hands around here wouldn't care if you just nuked every feature and forum except for UHall and private messages.

But there will always be those of us who appreciate tools, and who regularly read and post outside of UHall.

FrejaSP and DJAd like this.