1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Possible hack attempt or bug?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Chelle, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Chelle

Chelle Guest

I logged on my account tonight to check all the other shards for the Valentines gift. I first log onto Atlantic, all is well then I get to the next shard and it is telling me invalid pw. I thought I just typed it quick or caps lock was on. I try again, same message. I try again and still the same message. Then I go to log onto UO's website to get into my account info. It tells me too many attempts were made with an invalid pw to click on forgotten pw link to have it emailed to me. I do that and finally get into my account info on uo's website, change the PW and go back to checking out the Valentines gifts on other shards..Within minutes the same thing happens again. Invalid pw message. I try to log onto my account info on UO's website and again same message..Too many attempts were made on your account with an invalid pw. This has now happened about 6 times and each time I'm changing my pw. Any have any idea what this could be? I apologize now if I posted this in the wrong spot.

2. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I have a few accounts that do this to me, when collecting gifts. Not all of them, but a certain few.
    Weird huh?
    Seems to be something to do with the number of times you login within a certain timeframe. I found I could get around it by changing chars slower, and pause a minute before moving on.

3. Chelle

Chelle Guest

Thank you very much!! You set my mind at ease...I'll try doing that. Thank you again :)

4. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

5. Chelle

Chelle Guest

I apologize for not searching for this topic better. I tried a few searches before posting and I didn't come up with anything. I must say it's a very ANNOYING bug.

6. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Oh, my link was in no way to imply that you could search better.

Just thought there could be some useful info in there for you... :)

7. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/232554-could-please-get-finally-fixed.html#post1891526

8. popps

popps Always Present

I agree.

Too bad, that when I tried to say that in my thread I was yelled at

Just an answer I was given among others was ... "'normal' game play does not require a player to log in and out repeatedly in a short space of time.
    Rather than request the removal of possible security measures, wouldn't it be more beneficial to adapt your playstyle instead?
    ".........

So, something is annoying in the game but we can't even, without being yellet at, ask for it to be changed so that players have less reasons to be upset when playing the game....

Sometimes it seems to me that even if players are paying customers, the idea that they can possibly complain about anything of the product they support with their money can sound not acceptable and that players should either keep being subscribed or, close their subscription, both in silence, mind you, but that voicing out their complaints in the hope of improvements to the game that no, it sounds as not acceptable.........

"Take the game as it is or leave it", is what I often hear.... Trying to see it improved by voicing out what one thinks is not working properly does not seem to be much appreciated.

Go figure......

9. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

That message was not 'yelling at you' it was merely a suggestion that the activity you were engaged in was not 'normal gameplay' and perhaps there was some degree of 'user error' involved in your problems.
    Indeed Uriah's post in this thread confirms that, as the problem is avoided by rushing less.
    The problem is not a 'bug' but a lack of allowance for abnormal log in/out activity. Should the devs really be asked to spend valuable, and scarce, development time on adjusting something that is not a bug and is easily avoided by the user taking a little more care and time? We know they are short-handed because of the current economic climate.
    Personally, I would prefer they spent that time on essential development and fixing more game-breaking real bugs. Of course that is only a personal preference.

10. popps

popps Always Present

It is understandable.

Different players with different mindsets and opinions definately may have different priorities as in regards of the same game they all play.

What I think is really missing here, and perhaps it could help toning down many complaints messages, is the knowledge of what priorities the Developers may have for the game.

I mean, I would imagine that somewhere there may be a "to do" list of things that the Developers want to get accomplished for Ultima Online given the time and the resources.

Well, perhaps if players knew what is in that list, they might refrain from posting complaints about a given issue that is already in that list but is not being taken care of because of current lack of time and/or resources. But the simple being in that list shows that the Developers are aware of the problem and have already set up their mind of taking care of it as soon as time is available or resources.

What would be the point of complaining about something that has already been acknowledged and accepted by the Developers as worthy of being taken care of ?

Of course, if too much time goes by (like about addressing cheating in UO still unresolved...) without ever time being found or resources to address that problem, then I think the players will again have all rights to keep complaining about that given issue still not being taken care of....

Bottom line is, that I think a bit more interaction with players and clarity about what is going on and what may be in that "to do" list might help players deal with the game they play and the issues about it which they do not like.

At least, that's my opinion of it.

11. Chelle

Chelle Guest

Well, it def isn't avoided by rushing, I tried last night after reading the posts to log in and out at a snails pace and it still did the same thing. Now on my other account i was logging in and out checking the Valentine's basket faster then I was on the account causing me invalid pw issues and I had zero problems whatsoever. I do believe the dev's have fixed more meaningless "issues" then this. I could care less if they fix it or not..I will deal with it but I would just like to point out the obvious that it's not caused by abnormal logging in and out activity because even going extremely slow doing it, I still had the same exact problem.

12. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Got till March 9th whats the rush? Rare bear will still be rare Mar 10th.

Any failed attempt to curb script BOD collectors is all good.

13. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I disagree. Apparently Petra you do not have dozens of accounts and over 350 characters to log in and out... I do. You have any idea how long that takes normally????? And to have to do it slower just because of some silly bug?

And I'm somewhat of a nervous ninny anyways so having a message such as this would cause me undo stress and panic. Which at my age and all isn't really good for my health.... So while you think that a bug of this nature isn't any big deal I disagree with you. That's like telling someone "Why Yes I know you can type at 200 wpm... but I'm sorry the server can't handle that so..... why don't you type at say 100 wpm and take twice as long to do your job."

Or "Yes you have a great new computer and it can go very fast and yes you pay for 50mps but we are only going to let you go 25..."...... see how frustrated you get.

No I think all bugs deserve time to be fixed. Especially if they are known bugs and most especially if they deal with SECURITY issues.

Personally I would rather they spent quite a bit of time on ALL security issues including working on the way passwords are set and received...

14. Chelle

Chelle Guest

Actually, there was no rush. I was more concerned I was possibly being hacked. I could of cared less about anything else. Failed attempt to curb bod scripters? That's only why certain accounts have this issue? wouldn't it be everyone? As I stated earlier it ONLY does it on my ONE account even logging in and out at a snails pace. My other account I can log in and out every second and it's fine no invalid pw message or being unable to log back in for at least 10 mins. I would like to see how some would react to being locked out of their account for over 20 mins. I'm not just talking one time thing either. It happened to me last night at least 6 times and each time I was unable to log back in from a few minutes up to 20 mins. Now that I know it's a known issue and it wasn't a hack attempt, it's all good.

15. Chelle

Chelle Guest

:thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup: My thoughts exactly! TY MalagAste!

16. Annonymous User

Annonymous User Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

You know I code 8 hours a day for a living. They really have no excuse for lack of development time, I would donate 4 hours a day to them just to do bug fixes if they would let me, but that would be it, just bug fixes nothing else..

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Most of the people that replied were trying help and explain to you what might have happened. Including myself. So I am seriously offended that my genuine offer of help is rudely brushed aside as "yelling at you".

A couple of posters were were being snide, but nothing that can be construed as yelling at you, even though you stubbornly refused to listen to others.

You made no attempts to listen to the advice offered to help you verify the problem.

Instead, you cover your eyes/ears and just keep insisting that there is a problem with your account that is causing you this issue and that it's someone else's responsibility to fix it. End of story.

You often make no attempts to help yourself, but instead complain and try to pass off your problems as somebody else's, or complain about how unfair things are. All without understanding what the exact problem is.

Once you believe that a certain issue is another person's fault, you just keep falling deeper into that hole and don't care what others are trying to explain to you.

Yes, if there is a genuine problem, customers deserve every right to voice their complaints and should expect the the service provider to fix it.

I have complained about problems with the game, with the client, with the customer support, with dumb arbitrary changes to the rules.

But you have to be clear what are design/coding errors or support problems, and what are user errors. In this case, have you stopped to consider that maybe the error is really from your end? Or maybe something else? Esp seeing that many of the serious replies to your thread suggests that.

You say there is no way that your could have typed in the wrong password because you use the ctrl+v paste function.

I explained how the paste function is a special macro players have to make, on making certain these characters have that macro defined, on how pressing ctrl+v twice could happen, on how sometimes the ctrl may not be depressed fully, resulting only in a "v" being entered for the password.

Yet you have the audacity to only say that people yelled at you?

You've just insulted the posters that tried to help you in that thread.

At the moment, there are more things that can go wrong at your end compared to the server. Things that be easily tested for and verified. Once that's done, you can better escalate it to the customer support.

When I do daily rares, I use ctrl+v to check if the server is up. I hit the authentication server with around 1 authentication request every 3 secs.

This is definitely way faster then actually logging in, collecting gifts, logging out and then doing the same with another character. So I am very sure the login server can handle a heavy load and that there's actually no limitation at the server end that blocks login if you re-login too quickly. Or at least none that would affect my measly speed of 1 attempt every 3 secs.

The only times that I have had that password error come up is really a mistake on my end.

There is an easier test to verify whether if it's a problem with the account or login server. Try this -

1) Login to a character normally

2) Recall to bank or any guarded area so you won't be attacked

3) Logout. You character will remain in game for 5 mins before auto logout occurs

4) Login again, but this time select a different character on the same server. It will tell you that another char is still logged in and kick you back to the login page. However, the client will not clear your password in this situation, so you can just click the "next" "next" "next" "ok" arrows to quickly login again.

5) Keep repeating step 4 in rapid succession and see if you hit the password problem.

What we are doing here is isolating the problem by removing any potential issues that might be caused by the ctrl+v macro (eg no macro defined for that char, did not toggle ctrl+v properly, double paste, pasted correctly but typed an extra "v" etc, etc).

When you do the tests above, instead of the password error, a more likely error that will appear is "error communicating with origin" or it simply hangs at the "connecting" screen. This probably has to do IP packets being unsync'd. If it happens, just close your client and restart, it's faster than waiting for the packets to sync.

18. Annonymous User

Stratics Veteran

I would like to see more then just alpha-numeric characters as valid input for passwords I like to use tokens like !@#$%^&*()-=+ in my passwords and its a pain not being able to. Currently I am having to use different passwords because uo doesn't like my neat tokens..

19. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

They do have an excuse. It's a very small team. They also work for a large corporation which does not consider them a flagship product, and are given priorities by people whose concerns are not necessarily your concerns. They are probably getting marching orders from people who don't even play UO.

Obviously you've never experienced working for a large corporation, or been on a small team that has to juggle several things at once, but they are probably all pulling double and triple duty. They could stop what they are doing and do nothing but bug fixes and other improvements to the core code for the next six months and skip the next booster pack, but that booster pack might be bringing in enough money to cover X amount of dev team jobs.

It's a really bad situation, and it's not just UO - plenty of game companies go through it, and a lot of developers get burned out over it.

While I don't always agree with what they've done over the years, having experienced corporate culture for several years, there is no doubt in my mind that if the dev team had a choice, they'd be at least 10 times the size they are doing 10 times the amount of things they are doing, and they'd have a decent sized group devoted to squashing bugs and exploits.

People should be bashing EA. It's EA's fault as to why UO has a fraction of the active players it did 5 or 10 years ago. EA probably spent more on The Sims: Medieval that's coming out next month than they spent on UO in the past 5 years.

Just for reference, I went to a game conference a few years ago and Blizzard gave a presentation about their development team(s). Blizzard has 4,000 internal employees who work on nothing but World of Warcraft. Their customer service department runs 2,500 employees alone (which I believe includes in-game support, the various web interfaces, iPhone/iPad interfaces for the auction house, licensing merchandise, etc.). They have 200+ people on Q&A, 75+ who keep the servers going, 125 who work on cinematics and animation, 40+ designers who work on characters, npcs, and events, 50 artists who do nothing but generate new artwork while another team of artists polishes or revisits older artwork. That's probably grown quite a bit since 2009.

I may not have always been happy with a lot of decisions made, but I've always been impressed at how much the UO dev teams have gotten done with the resources they have. Per person, they are probably more productive than any other MMORPG out there.

20. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I'm trying to figure out a way to say this without being derogatory, but I'm drawing a blank.

I don't think EA/Mythic should focus all of, or even a significant portion, of their resources to fix a bug like this. It's abnormal for anyone to have this many accounts and characters.

WTF, why do you need to have 350 valentines bears?

I'll never understand some of the things people do in this game.

21. popps

popps Always Present

I do not know about others but personally, I like to check Holiday gifts as many times I can so to increase my chances at a rare one.

It has happened in the past that at time Holiday gifts were released with some degree of rarity like a particular box, a special hue, whatever.

Being able to pick as many Holiday gifts as possible increases the odds at a rare one.

22. popps

popps Always Present

After the first couple of error messages, I did take extra caution in entering my password both with CTRL-V and typing it anew.

Still would get the error message.

The only thing that had it go away was wait several minutes (think around 5 or so...).

Once it goes away, I could again log in and out no problem for about 10-12 times and then inevitably I get it back again. Got to wait several minutes and then can log in and out again for another cycle of 10-12 log ins/outs.

The thing that I felt it as a pattern repeating itself with some timing, had me quite thinking that this could hardly be the result of me mistyping. I mean, I can understand mistyping occasionally, but always around the 10th-12th time ? And then why even if I paid exceptionally attention at typing it correctly I would sitll get the error message and the only one thing that had it go away was to wait several minutes ?

I may well be wrong, but my guess is that it was not a problem on my end.

23. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

During the 5 mins of not being able to login, do you remember if any of the error messages says that there's a problem communicating with Origin instead of the password error? Take special note when you get the errors again.

Because if it's based on timing, it could be a problem with the internet connection between your PC to your router/modem, the ISP, their routers out to the next hops, any amount of routers to the EA routers, EA's routers to the UO login server.

Could also be packets getting unsync'd.

Try what I said in my post above and see if the error occurs at every 10-12 login intervals or if they in fact occur at regular timing intervals.

24. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah

Haven't seen one of those in years...

Bods are dead. Runics have almost no value anymore. You are better scripting something else.

25. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

With my 43 active accounts only one does this... my son's main. and that account is used every day. The trouble is not in speed of log in or out or mistyping. A CS at EA told me it has to do with the log in server and protection programs in place. I dont see how the dev can fix it as it dosent effect every account. Yes its an anoyance and all but spend a minute or two with each character and then log seems to help some what.

26. Annonymous User

Stratics Veteran

Actually I am one of three programmers in our shop. The company we work for owns about eight different company's nation wide, not only do we write all the software for them, provide our own support, we also get the fun task of maintaining all the different locations psychical networks. We have a two year back log if we did nothing but work on requests that have already been submitted.. I know all about time slicing and unitarianism. The point is, they have resources and they are stretched thin, but if we can maintain the large project we have with no issues, I do not see why they can not. Legacy code ? you bet the other day I was doing a minor bug fix on a program that was written before I was even born. Needless to say it can be done and done well. Shear size of the project, I think currently we are over 3.5k different applications we have to maintain, not to mention the new ones we have to write. I am not saying that they are bad developers, but I don't think they are AAA class as well. I don't even think I am a better programmer then they are. The economy is tough every where is stretched thin, we don't get to use these excuses where I work, why would it be okay for them ? /shrug end incoherent rant.

P.S The offer still stands 4 hours a day 5 days a week with out pay EA/Mythic just for bug Fixes. I am a well experienced C Programmer. Would be a great addition to my resume so its a win win...

27. popps

popps Always Present

I am sorry but that does not make much sense to me.

If it is due to some added security to the login server, then it should work the same for all accounts logging in, not selectively just for some accounts.

Either all accounts receive this added security or no account does.

I would really like to know why on earth some accounts get this and some don't.....