1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Possible rework of the Enhance Potions cap?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Trevelyan, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Trevelyan

Trevelyan Guest

I haven't used my alchemist for years but I was quite saddened to realise now that there is a 50% cap on Enhance Potions :(

This, really, means all you need is a 25% enhance potions ring and bracelet with absolutely no need for anything else. If you have a treatise on alchemy and alchemist's bauble, a 25% ring is wasted and even the extra 5% from the bauble is wasted.

I can understand the reasons behind this - for greater heal/strength/agility potions in PvP - but why not just increase the cap for Alchemists (on top of their bonus): for example, every 20% in alchemy you gain another 5% to the total EP cap on items. Or at GM there is no cap (for someone who really wants to push the boat out and get the max EP that they can).

I think that all these item limitations really put a downer on UO for me. I like the idea that I could get a ridiculously high EP suit and throw greater explosion potions around. If I have bought or acquired the items and trained the skill, why not? There are far more powerful combinations of skills and items out there *coughs MAGERY* :D

So yeah it might seem a bit over the top to have 150% enhance potions (current max - 3* the cap) but it isn't like you'd suddenly see everyone rushing to squeeze alchemy into their template. I doubt it would even be viable in PvP.

Who else wants alchemist love!

2. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Check your numbers:

The Treatise isn't 25% EP, but only 15%.

There is also the additional 30% EP that can only be gained from GM Alchemy, that adds to the 50% cap.

Lastly, the reason WHY EP was capped as such, after the entroduction of the (originally 75% EP!) Ecru Citrine Ring was because of all the PvP Gimplates that used macros to throw 3 Greater Explosion potions at once, with obscene damage from the combination of the EP, and only requiring Alchemy as a skill (plus, before the change in cooldown timers, they were near unkillable by non- alchemists from the EP effects on heals, cures, Strength pots for HP, etc. as only monsters and 5/1 ganks could do damage quickly enough to drop the person before they could potion heal).

3. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Developers have said time and time again that this is not an item based game.

Yet EP is caped at 50 from items, and the actual skill gives only 30 regardless.

What...

4. Trevelyan

Trevelyan Guest

Checked, and my statement is still correct, although a little confusing :D. A 25% ring is a waste - you would only need around 10. The point being that the cap is so low that using anything other than non-regular items (Alchemists' Bauble, Treatise etc) is really pointless (except for the ring).

If you have a bauble, you only have 30%. Using a ring with 20% on gets you to 50%, but you might as well just go for 25% and get a bracelet with 25% and mods that you would actually want. If you have the Talisman, you still need at least two items to get to the 50% cap (unless you count the Ecru ring, but then you wouldn't need a talisman anyway).

5. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

not even sure what you all are even talking about now.
    Max ep on items is easy as all. using the alchy tali is a waste unless crafting. hell, the difference btw Greater heals with the skill and with out is virtually unnoticeable with 50 EP.

6. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

No whey...150 ep would be absolutely insane in PvP. :lol: