1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Possible? *Throws on Flame Proof Jacket*

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lord Gareth, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

I think the picture explains it.

[​IMG]

2. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

sea gates ! :popcorn:

3. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Theres a whole lot of sea content I dribble thinking about! This is in the list of my dream sea expansion!

*pleas*

4. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

yep the sea needs some love for sure

5. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Long overdue if you ask me....

6. Jhym

Jhym Guest

Possible? yes

Lazy? yes

I'd rather they make part of the map "link" to Tokuno, so instead of wrapping around to the east map when you go west, you'd go to the Tokuno east, then from Tokuno west to Trammel east.

For Felucca, I'd almost rather they have it pop to a new water map that represents Tokuno lost. Have multiple archipelagos and mini dungeons, perhaps even link up the Factions to new strongholds and areas to capture.

I would like Ilshenar waters to link up to the Garg waters, perhaps through tunnels.

:popcorn:

7. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

The sea definitely desperately needs something. MiBs and nets don't cut it. So much wasted space and potential.

P.S. Put back the KR boats in the EC, we miss them.

8. LadyKeroOfAtl

LadyKeroOfAtl UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
    Stratics Veteran

To go with what your asking.. the fishing skill needs some love too.
    Perhaps further tie in with cooking as well?

Some new food made from the fish or a new fished up item that would be similar to stuff like grapes of wrath and enchanted apples?
    Dunno shooting in the dark here.

But my Fisher/Chef is growing mold she's been sitting there so long.
    Only time she's ever used anymore is when I make the apples/grapes to give out at events.

9. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

P.S. Put back the KR boats in the EC, we miss them.

VERY definitely yes to this. The weathered look was SOO much nicer than lemon yellow.

And beyond that, it makes me a bit sad that I don't think I ever took the time to go see how the pillars looked in KR with KR graphics. Ahh well.

10. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

big Big BIG YES to a sea expansion.

Give us pirates! Give us a water champ we need to fight from boats! Give us new water monsters! Give us an underwater dungeon! Give us pirates! Give us cooler boats (house-boats?!?) Give us new fish! Give us new sunken treasures!

There are sooo many good ideas floating around (no pun intended) for a sea based expansion!

Oh, and give us pirates!

11. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

Only problem with a sea expansion (beyond serpent pillars) is the 2d client. The method the 2d client uses to do boating limits what they can do ingame. If we were able to move past the 2d client, they could revamp the way boats in general work and in the process add a LOT more to the seas.

12. BajaElladan

BajaElladan Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

If this is correct, I'd rather leave the seas as they are than remove my 2D client!!!

13. Zodia

Zodia Guest

My god you are a Johnny One-Note.

2D FOREVER!

14. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

This.

Remove boats before removing 2D.

15. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

Don't blame me... I'm just stating what the devs have already stated repeatedly. Just because you don't like the news won't make things any different.

16. Zodia

Zodia Guest

Or we could consider how much more awesome the 2D client and game would be if the Dev Teams over the years hadn't wasted UNBELIEVABLY LARGE resources on not one, not two, but THREE FAILED clients.

And how the TINY MINORITY of users/supporters of these alternate clients waste dev time by asking for their alternate client to be worked on, instead of the client that 95% of the users use.

17. LadyKeroOfAtl

LadyKeroOfAtl UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
    Stratics Veteran

I would quit before playing KR/EC whatever you want to call it this year. Sorry, I just don't like it.

And I'll say the same thing I've always said.. If I wanted to play WOW, I'd play WOW. Not a bad rip off of its interface and some graphics that don't at all match the other games out there.

I'm tired of the 2d/ec argument. We can all agree to disagree and not throw that in as an excuse why something can or cannot be done. Let's think of the middle ground of what both can do.

They can revamp the seas without creating massive 2d issues. Yes, people would like a champ, dungeon, or peerless in the sea..But I'm pretty sure most people would be at least content with some new smaller additions to the sea.
    *Pirates..Why couldn't they have some kind of minor event including pirates? Pirate battles with incentives in the Felucca seas.
    Fishing contests perhaps turn in big fish to an npc for a small chance at receiving a special item [No I'm not speaking 'uber' item].
    *New fished up items.
    *New sea monsters.
    *Upgrade MIB loot a bit to make them worthwhile
    *Give gardening a little more love - New monster that drops a seed for a water plant [I know we just got lily pads etc]

Just throwing ideas out there

18. Lord Gareth

As much as I love discussing sea content I was really just looking for some serpent pillars to connect the waters. *Smiles*

19. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

They can revamp the seas... partially, but they cannot make our access via boats in the seas any smoother, better or different than it is now (boats as they are were "hacked in" to begin with).

I hope a future dev member can prove me wrong, but I am going with the technical history I know about the issue. It has nothing to do with "like or dislike" but "what have the devs said about this issue".

If 2d weren't so exceedingly tiny (both graphically and UI-wise) and seemingly requiring external programs in order to function properly, then I might have been able to stay with the client.

But people need to face facts... 2d is LIMITED. Yes, it can do some pretty cool stuff, yes they can put the serpent pillars to go to the various facets, but to get a FULL fledged revamp of sailing and sea content, it's always going to be limited and unable to provide what could be provided via newer clients.

Again, this isn't propaganda of any sort, it's just simple truth based on team statements over the past few years. Do I want to be proven wrong? Sure. Do I see it happening? Nope.

Until 2d is gone (not saying it should be, just reiterating the facts), what they can do on the seas is limited. Lady Kero has some of those they can actually do, but again, those are the more limited in scope changes in comparison to "a pirate-themed expansion".

20. Heartseeker

Heartseeker Guest

This!

Sorry Dermott, but the Devs never fully finish anything; therefore I won't ever support any new clients by them.

While potential was there, the non 2D clients are half baked.

21. Aran

In relative terms, 2D is perfect.

22. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Oh, great! this has turned into yet another EC flame fest. *rolls eyes*

First off all, not as much people as the typical UHaller wants to believe are using the Classic Client. A lot of returning or new player test out the EC and some are quite happy with it. For example, in my guild we have around 40% EC users now. It's just that most of these people don't post on UHall (or even know about).

Also Dermott is right, the devs HAVE stated that boats are really difficult to handle with the classic client. that's simply a fact.

But if the dedicate enough time and work to it as it would be adequate for a new expansion, maybe they can come up with at least an improvement?

Also, I think it would be possible to do a sea based expansion even without changing boats.

23. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

That

24. Aran

So there are ten people in your guild, and four use the EC. Big deal.

25. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Riiiiight....

Looky here: http://my.uo.com/cgi-bin/guilds.pl?g=633361860a05826a:25 one of the ten larges guilds on Drachenfels.

A lot of people who are serious about PVP and not cheating are using the EC - it's giving quite some advantages due to the new interface and macros.

Also on a completely unrelated note:
    Are there even Mods on this board to keep thread from getting completely off-topic.

26. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

*unfolds old tattered notes with faded ink*

1. Make the EC client have all the legacy options toggled where those who prefer the 2D client cannot tell they are on the EC client. Aesthetically it's all the same. UI options ect also the same.

2. Get everyone on the EC client.

3. Add more content *(arrr Pirates!!) to one client only.

(Easier/Fun for Devs = Fun for us.)

I'm not sure of the possibility of #1 with the EC. Part of the issue obviously is functionality and ability for everyone who currently uses 2D to be able to download and use the EC.

I'd love to see this be the future goal though. Focus on EC bugs ect and then focus on all legacy options where everyone plays one client only, just new and improved to some and old and comfy to others.

*bolded to show I'm still on topic as one who would LOVE to see more sea content and if 2d is the hold up (which I still use btw)...well then both points are on topic :)*

27. Aran

Hm..

So what you're saying is that the EC is unbalanced and gives an unfair advantage in PvP and should be removed from the game?

28. Velvathos

Velvathos Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

29. Tukaram

Tukaram Guest

Since we can't sail directly to Tokuno I think the serpent pillar would be a cool idea. (or make the pillar a moongate for boats?)

30. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

Do you ever stop?

31. Dermott of LS

Stratics Veteran

Can you address the issue?

32. Lord Gareth

*Waits to hear Mesanna say how she would just love to build all of these*

33. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

"UNBELIEVABLY LARGE "....no, I seriously doubt that, "TINY MINORITY"....that minority is much larger than those making a congressional seen over a classic shard.

2D is dead, has been, and is pretty much the wall that keeps UO from being advertised. If you can't see that, then I pity you. Players hang onto 2D because it's what they know. In turn, this shows you the average age of UO's players........

The sea needs love, 2D needs to go to Davey Jones locker!!

Yarrrr, later matey.

34. Gowron

Gowron Guest

You got my buy in. On Chessy, this was discussed/proposed by Gov Winfield at the last town summit meating. I'm not sure which EM was portraying the Queen's designee to be there. Sorry forgot the name.

35. Aran

If you want something shiny and flashy and "modern" play something else. If you want UO, play 2D.

36. Derium of ls

Derium of ls Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

That guy NEEDS to be hired by EA to oversee 100% of all UO projects... NOW

37. Lady Laurel

Lady Laurel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni LOST

Gareth, I think the pillars are an amazing idea, and would just love it if Mesanna agreed and they were implemented.

On a side note: I also wish there was more sea content. I missed the underwater adventure and am anxiously awaiting another.