1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Private houses - why?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Karthcove, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Karthcove

Karthcove Guest

I'm just curious - why would you make your house private?

If your house is next to a mountain, if you don't already, why not have a forge accessible to everyone?

I see a lot of great houses on my travels but can't enter 90% of them and see what a nice job most do on the inside, why not show it off?

Whats the big dilly-O? (my attempt at reaching the younger generation:))

2. falseprophet

falseprophet Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Not sure if it was ever proven, but there were a few reports on stratics of people being able to enter your house and use some hack/cheat to loot secure containers. that made alot of people make them private

3. Mormgeil

Mormgeil Guest

I tend to assume some jackass with a Z axis exploit will pillage all my phat loot in the middle of the night.

Not everybody needs to share, for that matter.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with this one ... especially with security settings allowed on doors and teleports. Perhaps allow the first floor open to public with forge, etc available. Simply set teleports or doors to anything other than "Anyone".

5. Repowski

Repowski Guest

<blockquote><hr>

If your house is next to a mountain, if you don't already, why not have a forge accessible to everyone?

I see a lot of great houses on my travels but can't enter 90% of them and see what a nice job most do on the inside, why not show it off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes there have been bugs in the past which have allowed people to enter your house and take your stuff... and thus people just made their houses private.

Sometimes, you just want to be alone... sometimes you just don't want random people in your house. Also, if you're decorating... there's always that chance that someone could be hiding in your house, wait for you to place something, and grab it up before you are able to lock it down.

In the end, I'd rather see alot more public houses myself... but can understand why people are scared. Maybe there should be an incentive to having a public house!?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry, but those reasons are wrong. If people could break into secure containers, it would be posted all over this site, and everyone would be demanding that EA do something about it.

It is your house. Make it Public, or private at your choosing. But I agree, that making it pretty, and private, just does not make any sense at all.

7. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I keep my houses private till done with my decorating then make the fist floor with forges and ovens and looms open to public the rest is only for friends and one floor is my private room where only I have access

8. Mormgeil

Mormgeil Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry, but those reasons are wrong. If people could break into secure containers, it would be posted all over this site, and everyone would be demanding that EA do something about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you are wrong. Do you know what a 'zero day exploit' is?

<blockquote><hr>

It is your house. Make it Public, or private at your choosing. But I agree, that making it pretty, and private, just does not make any sense at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it makes sense. The architecture and decoration of my home is for my aesthetic pleasure and I do not require any external validation, particularly from the dim bulbs that constitute the current player base.

9. the biggest reason i would have to make a house privet is security when locking things down .. stealthers can grab alot before you hit your i wish to lock this down macro.

10. if my houses were in a trammel ruleset they would still be private, i consider my houses my very own piece of uo that nobody can enter.

plus its always possible that if your house is public there could be a stealther there waiting to take your stuff whenyou go to lock it down.

also there is a way to break into houses and loot containers [​IMG]

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I would say the reason why people make there houses private is to protect thier property. It isa shame it has to be that way because I too enjoy seeing what people do with their houses.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I made my Luna houses private except for the vendor house to avoid griefing. There was a certain guild on legends that decided to grief me by filling my houses with water barrels, only way to stop it was to make the houses private.

13. davebobbit

davebobbit Guest

mines private so i can leave my idoc loot on the floor while i nip off to the next idoc. Then i can just return later and sort it all out (dont have enough lockdowns to secure everything before sorting it out)

14. Karthcove

Karthcove Guest

I don't get a lot of visitors around my neck of the woods and haven't thought of using it in years but, I seem to remember a command that would reveal any hidden players in your house - does it still exist? What was it? Something like "reveal all"?

15. Repowski

Repowski Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, the bugs did exist in the past. I'm not sure if they still do.. but when they did, OSI actually instructed people to make their homes private if they were afraid...

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Detect Hidden skill ... zero points required for use in a house that you are at least friended to.

17. Firstly, the forge is a bad reason. You don't need a forge to mine along a mountain since there are Fire Beetles.

Secondly, as Repowski said, stealthers can steal your things while you're decorating, and no, using the 100% detect hidden that house rules give is not a solution. It's boring. If you wanna do some decoration in a place of the house where you can't restrict access, you don't want to have to be totally paranoid and use detect hidden before every "I wish to release this".

Thirdly, not all house designs allows a good access restriction of all the areas, and some players just don't want to scrap a nice design just for that.

Personnaly I'd like to make my house public, but I don't want to show it half-decorated and I'm so long to decorate that it's rarely public.

18. Bobar

Bobar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Still works - Detect Hidden skill i think. In your own house it works 100% even with no skill if I remember rightly.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

My house is in fel, and private. I logged in one night to find someone named house theif running around inside my house looting EVERYHTING!....

So I killed him and he had about 5 mil worth of my things on him. Thank goodness he didnt find the real loot chest :/

No he didnt have access and was not friended..

Get some rubble walls and put them infront of your doors maybe this will keep the theives out?

20. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

My house is in fel, and private. I logged in one night to find someone named house theif running around inside my house looting EVERYHTING!....

[/ QUOTE ]
    House breakins come up from time to time. Setting your containers to anyone in a private house is a bad idea. They should always be set to friends or above, unless it is public for some reason.
    <blockquote><hr>

Secondly, as Repowski said, stealthers can steal your things while you're decorating, and no, using the 100% detect hidden that house rules give is not a solution. It's boring. If you wanna do some decoration in a place of the house where you can't restrict access, you don't want to have to be totally paranoid and use detect hidden before every "I wish to release this".

[/ QUOTE ]
    Detecting Hidden once and putting chimes along the entrance will alert you to anyone trying to sneak into your house. Unless you advertise to the entire shard that you are redecorating your house, the chances of someone trying to steal your items are extremely low. Plus not every item you put down is worth grabbing. You only need to detect hidden when you move something valuable.

21. stevensnr6

stevensnr6 Guest

In an none "to keep out cheaters and killers" mode. I hate coming home and seeing some fracking Polar Bear or other spawn riding my Teleporters, continously as he wanders freely about my formerly Public House.

And in a "EA/OSI Conspiracy" mode...a meteric ton of those Private House are not Player homes, they belong to EA. It's part of the facade...to let you believe there are more than 15K-20K (with 50-75K paying accounts) people that still play this game. Anyone ever done the house math and figured out how many houses can go on each Facet of each Shard? It's alot...2-3000 in Malas alone...spread that over all the Shards...and there is no possible way there are that many houses.

But there are many Private Homes.

Peace.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

Simple.

I don't want people in my house whom I don't know. It's my one sanctuary in the game where I know I don't have to deal with anyone.

23. Scooby_Snacks

Scooby_Snacks Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Well.....one reason could be that.....I know a guy who has a thief with stealth and he often roams around houses and checks all containers. He finds a lot of people accidentally set some containers to anyone and the things he has stolen has made him millions. I know he still does this on Europa shard too......and no its not me doing this! I don't play anymore.

24. Guest

Guest Guest

I maintain both public and private homes regardless of ruleset those homes may be, but there is always a private one as well.

It is MY domain, I do not want some one with some forgetful braincells waltzing in there, getting disconnected, and or falling off their butt ugly, rune beetles or super dragons, leaving their beasts.. to go wild in my bedroom. [​IMG]
    I am not their stable.

I am not their momma, I am not their teacher, I am not their company to babble with 24.7 when I feel like being alone. They can babble all they wish to with me in my public homes. Thus one house is always private...my space my place to be with my own chrs. alone ..and every chest set to owner or co owner in all the houses anyhow..so even my alts oft can not get INTO chests cuz EA limits us on how many houses we can be co owners to etc. but public or private the containers are set to owner only co owner only..with maybe one set for guildmates or friends.

I have plenty of public homes usually wide open for any tourist or fellow players whom I know or may not know to tour if they wish, usually with vendors on em too and dye tubs forges looms any one can use even apples that any one can pick off my trees...that is public enough for anyone even in a fel ruleset..that I feel I am entitled to *my space* one place alone set private KEEP OUT don't bug me here, it is my UO dollar for my own lil private sanctuary..all my other homes are very public and open 24.7 be it Chesapeake or Siege..when I have placed my assorted public homes which is most of my homes, they are very public and open.

And why should we have to have our homes each one all public..they do not stop cheaters exploiters etc. very often, can always be some jerks out there trying to beat the system to get into private owner only chests even if they can find a way to do so, thus to make one place as complicated and private as can be is also for our own pixel stuff to .......hopefully stay put where we put em.

25. I'd like to echo a lot of the reasons other people have given in this thread for leaving a house private. There's just too much risk, either because I changed a security setting and forget to change it back or from exploits that seem to pop up from time to time. Also, there are times when I just don't feel like engaging in conversation with strangers. If I wanted that, I'd be falling all over myself to have a public house and vendors. I will add though that if someone is running around one of my Trammel houses and tells me they'd like to see the inside, I'll usually give them access only so they can take a peek around. However, as soon as they're gone, I take them off the access list. I really don't care if people think that's paranoid. Been burned a couple of times already and lost stuff that I thought was secure. What was most troublesome about those incidents was not the actual losses themselves but being put in the position of wondering who did it and the integrity of the people I play with.

P.S. If you need a fire beetle, PM me with the shard you're on and I'll see if I can help get you one.

26. Guest

Guest Guest

I too would love to get rid of private houses and I think secures on teleportes should be removed too.
    Evt replace it with a "Kick all" options, that will kick all not friended out of the house and make it so a kicked player/npc can't enter again for 5 mins.

And remove the limits from co-owners.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

On one occasion on my stealther I followed 2 players through a gate they had created and then into their house. The house was set public but they had a room with the door security set to guild I think. I followed them through when they opened it. They then went through a few chests, chatted and then recalled out. I was left after that to loot several chests in the "secure" room that had no security settings. I got some nice stuff [​IMG]

So ... there are reasons to have a private house, and dangers to having a public one if you dont take necessary precautions. Dectect hidden is your friend.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

Discusing this issue should stop. Delete this thread. I do not want people to be given reasons to make their public homes private. I have too much fun stealthing around. Breaking and entering if a fun game. Most cases I simply find all chests are locked and secure, but from time to time. BINGO! SCORE!...la

29. Repowski

Repowski Guest

<blockquote><hr>

In an none "to keep out cheaters and killers" mode. I hate coming home and seeing some fracking Polar Bear or other spawn riding my Teleporters, continously as he wanders freely about my formerly Public House.

And in a "EA/OSI Conspiracy" mode...a meteric ton of those Private House are not Player homes, they belong to EA. It's part of the facade...to let you believe there are more than 15K-20K (with 50-75K paying accounts) people that still play this game. Anyone ever done the house math and figured out how many houses can go on each Facet of each Shard? It's alot...2-3000 in Malas alone...spread that over all the Shards...and there is no possible way there are that many houses.

But there are many Private Homes.

Peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, I want to buy into your conspiracy, but its hard to believe OSI has so many badly designed houses lying around... I would expect to notice a design pattern to the houses they create... and I'll tell you from the amount of time that I have spent DOC hunting, no such obvious pattern exists. (At least not on Lake Superior)

If they are indeed doing this, they're spending WAAAY too much time designing crappy houses... and poorly decorating them...

30. Guest

Guest Guest

Honestly, while I can understand some rare situations where making houses private are necessary (such as decorating in high-traffic areas), I really don't see the point outside of annoying the hell out of people that are trying to wander the wilderness and constantly bounce off of the front steps of almost every house. This is an online game.. doing things safely should be second nature to anyone on here. If you're stupid enough to set the security on your containers so that anyone can take things from them, or dumb enough to not check if there's someone hiding in your house, or that all your doors or teleporters are set properly... well... I feel bad for you, but it's honestly nobody's fault but your own.

I'd say make being able to make a house private area-based.. that is.. only make it possible in 1). areas directly around moongates, 2). areas directly around towns, and 3). areas with high levels of monster or agressive creature spawn. Maybe along roads too as those are definite high-traffic areas.

And for the people saying "forge doesn't matter because there are fire beetles"... not everyone uses those damn things. I for one am getting tired of running around from house to house bouncing off of the steps of all of the private ones trying to find a public forge while mining.

31. Guest

Guest Guest

I think we should be able to put traps on the floor like faction traps. Let trespassers beware! [​IMG] [​IMG]

If I had a house near a mountain I would place a forge/anvil outside for miners to use. But with all the fire beetles in action are they really needed anymore?

32. Ghosty

Ghosty Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Discusing this issue should stop. Delete this thread. I do not want people to be given reasons to make their public homes private. I have too much fun stealthing around. Breaking and entering if a fun game. Most cases I simply find all chests are locked and secure, but from time to time. BINGO! SCORE!...la

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so inspired. I'll be on my stealther starting tonight. :p

33. Guest

Guest Guest

I wish more folk had public houses. I've had a tavern and shop for so long I don't really think about it. I'd love to see how folk have decorated their houses. Not had any problems with them.

I tend to detect if I'm quickly locking down a single item, if I'm doing a big re-decorate I'll either set doors to lock out front of make it private while I work.

I keep a couple of rooms that I can safely drop unlocked containers temporarily or leave a pack critter in.

I make sure all my chars hide before logging out, then if someone does try and assassinate me, I'm in the safe room they're locked out of [​IMG]

Wenchy

34. prison bound

prison bound Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

can it be inferred from what you say that you do NOT live in fel?

35. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually, if you aren't interested in actually killing the home owner, Trammel is a better place to hunt for non-locked down items. People tend to feel a bit safer in Trammel, and sometimes leave their guard down.

I hope Order/Chaos comes back the way it used to be. Back then, I'd take my thief and turn the guild Chaos, then head to Brit bank and look for orange names. Kinda funny to watch their faces when you steal from them in Trammel. Unfortunately, they eliminated that a long time ago...la

36. Guest

Guest Guest

I make all of my houses public, and have rooms where my stuff is unaccessible. That way people can wander around, enjoy the decor, and forge or what have you but can't work any squirliness and abscond with my junk.

37. Guest

Guest Guest

Personally I have NO idea and I myself have ALWAYS wondered the same thing.... Now if you live in Fel I can understand keeping it private... I've played for over 8 years and NOT ONCE have I EVER had anyone steal anything from me when I'm decoing and designing...... NEVER.... And trust me with 8 house's I do a TON of design and deco..... All my house's are public and they will remain so..... But I will say I use Detect Hidden anytime I'm concidering moving things about that are expensive...

Noisemaking statues and the chimes are great for knowing when anyone is coming up the steps....

38. <blockquote><hr>

On one occasion on my stealther I followed 2 players through a gate they had created and then into their house. The house was set public but they had a room with the door security set to guild I think. I followed them through when they opened it. They then went through a few chests, chatted and then recalled out. I was left after that to loot several chests in the "secure" room that had no security settings. I got some nice stuff [​IMG]

So ... there are reasons to have a private house, and dangers to having a public one if you dont take necessary precautions. Dectect hidden is your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

This explains quite a bit..... [​IMG]

39. Guest

Guest Guest

How so?

I fully understand the implication and the fact that you felt compelled to post that remark in the first place says a lot about you.

Maybe you'd care to explain the rationale behind your snide remark for the benefit of our other stratics readers and the mods?

40. Karthcove

Karthcove Guest

<blockquote><hr>

can it be inferred from what you say that you do NOT live in fel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, my house is in Trammel - built it when trammel housing became available, at the time there were no housing plots available in Fel if you must know but whats the difference? Even when I shared a house pre-trammel you would always log out hidden in a section of the house that wasn't accessible to outsiders. Is your question suggesting that if you live in Fel you should have your house private because of fear what someone may do to you? If thats the case, move to trammel - your mind set is already a resident. [​IMG]

41. Do you let people randomly walk into your house in the real world? I know I don't. Yes, this is a game, but to me, and apparently others, houses are our sanctuary to get away from people. It is our place to go when we want to be alone or only with friends, not random people who might wander by and walk in. My houses are all private except for one, and that is the one I use for mainly roleplay and is in a well traveled area. If I'm decorating, it's quickly put to private. Honestly, people have the choice to do what they wish with their house(s) and if they choose to keep wanderers out, then let them. Some people don't enjoy having random people walking in. I know my securities are set as well on certain parts of my house just for that reason as well. There really is no need for anyone to be in my other houses. It's for personal use and storage. If someone wants to see it, they're welcome to ask me for access to look around, but I have no desire to leave my house open for any thief or red to wander in and take advantage of my poor crafter or any other weak character I have.

42. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow...after reading this thread, I'm almost afraid to leave my house public...

I don't understand getting a thrill out of stealing some pixel object from another player...knowing that almost all people would be upset, at least to some degree. Just doesn't seem very nice. Don't worry, I'm ready for the flames. *grins*

I guess I play UO to have fun...but not at someone else's expense. I would rather go fight to earn the item I wanted, not take it from another, especially while they are enjoying their gametime decorating or something.

I guess I'm a softy. [​IMG]

43. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

This explains quite a bit..... [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like UO should be, dangerous and with alot of risk, special if you do not use your head. Now I can see tthe problem in Trammel, where you can't kill the looter but on Siege, private houses have no place. I can't speak for Felucca as I don't play normal shards.

44. Monsters like to wander in and kill folks. In fel some of them are players.

<blockquote><hr>

Well, yes there have been bugs in the past which have allowed people to enter your house and take your stuff... and thus people just made their houses private.

Sometimes, you just want to be alone... sometimes you just don't want random people in your house. Also, if you're decorating... there's always that chance that someone could be hiding in your house, wait for you to place something, and grab it up before you are able to lock it down.

In the end, I'd rather see alot more public houses myself... but can understand why people are scared. Maybe there should be an incentive to having a public house!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched someone break into a public house and take things.

45. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I don't understand getting a thrill out of stealing some pixel object from another player

[/ QUOTE ]

No flames. But to answer your question:
    Probably the same thrill as killing someone in PvP? Or the thrill someone gets from decorating a house? Or crafting? Remember its all just pixels as you pointed out.

I have a thief character which is now largely redundant. I do however role play that character extensively and stealthing and stealing is part of it. Its a game and yes it is fun. I also have a monk character that I roleplay and do nothing but collect items and gold from other players to give to young or needy players. Again, its a thrill to do this and fun.

One of the strong points of UO is its range of playstyles and I'm sorry, but allowing things to get stolen is by design, no matter what facet you play on.

46. "but allowing things to get stolen is by design"

Only in Fel. On the Tram side it's exploitation and taking advantage of other players that have chosen NOT to be where stealing is allowed.

47. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Monsters like to wander in and kill folks. In fel some of them are players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember when reds could not kick/ban on Siege and when a red friend using the door would emty the ban list and private houses did not have auto ban, only advantage was, that you could lock your frontdoor.

Now everything is far to secure.

When Siege had alot of players, Tine Tink was running her vendors from outside her villa. There was no teleporters to save her and the frontdoor could not be locked in a public house.
    She did not die that offen and if she did, it was no big deal, most values was in her secures outside.
    I could logout in the room upstaies where I was able to lock the door.
    Freja did use the house too so the ban list was always cleaned.

48. Hum? why? why "private"? Easy [​IMG]

I was inspired by the sign at the gate at Castle British ... "Audience Granted by Appointment Only"

Good enough for the King ... good enough for me.

49. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I for one remember when the only way to secure your items in your home was to use a key to lock the door, and if you lost that key or it was stolen from you and didnt have one in the bank you were pretty much up the creek,so thats pretty much the reason I have a private home

50. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

"but allowing things to get stolen is by design"

Only in Fel. On the Tram side it's exploitation and taking advantage of other players that have chosen NOT to be where stealing is allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, by design on both facets. Stealing is not just defined as use of the stealing skill and I would not consider this an exploit and neither do EA.

Trammel is designed to allow a player to stealth unseen, into another players house and take things that they do not own, from a container. That is stealing.

You can however take steps to avoid this such as making your house private or setting container security.

If you fail to do so then that is akin to failing to insure an item and then complaining when you lose it.

Ill tell you what .... I'll come to your shard, and you place a cheque for 1 mill gold in a container with no security, in your public house then I'll stealth in and steal it. You can then page on me and see if you get your cheque back or if I get banned.