1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Publish 66 Spell Plague nerfed

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lefty, May 19, 2010.

1. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

So here is the change with Spell Plague for Publish 66

With this Posted I checked it out on Test Center and these are my findings.

120 Mysticism
    120 Focus
    Armor all 70's

The first blast averages 19-21

In all attempts another spell had to be casted to get the second blast

Average 9-11 damage.

In all attempts there was no third blast at all.

It is not working as advertised in the Publish notes, nor works on the current mechanics.

My view on this it is totally worthless for PvP and PvM in this current form. A ebolt will out perform it.

2. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

so ... perfect !

3. longshanks

longshanks Guest

i've read that the effect last's for 8 seconds and has a chance for 3 separate damage events. As such have you tried spamming low level spells, i.e. magic arrow or nether bolt to get the third occurance?

4. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Yes all tries for approximately 20 minutes did not give a 3rd blast.

5. A Rev

A Rev Guest

Does the char your testing it on have resist?

Resist reduces the chance of that 3rd blast...apparantly to 0

6. anvira

anvira Guest

With everyone complaining about how all powerful it was, are you really suprised they nerfed it??? I'm not.

Like it always goes......

Forget making a skill equal to another to have a chance at being effective, lets just leave a couple out there that are massivly powerful and the rest....meh, suck.

Just my opinion.

7. Jesusislord

Jesusislord Guest

Interesting. In my tests yesterday on Test Centre and then on my home shard, I found spell plague to not have changed at all.

And of course.. it does more damage when one is cursed.

The fact that I can still harm myself to near-death, get all three spell plague explosions off and be literally a stone's throw (Spell Trigger -> Bombard) away from death is still the same to me.

8. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

no Rev it does not. I was looking for damage vs 70 armor resist.

I was expecting what the publish notes stated. More or less a flip flop of the spell with reduced damage.

More or less it is bugged.

9. Jesusislord

Jesusislord Guest

Resist doesn't make a difference. The last explosion has a 30% chance to go off, making it pure luck getting the last one off.

However, that being said, the way to fix spell plague is make resist actually make a difference.. like it should.

10. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Better do another test.

It works as I described and nothing has changed since I first posted.

Edit. I was able to get a 3rd blast. You have to be real fast though. However the last blast average 5-7.

So Overall it is not working as per the publish notes. It works the same but with about half the damage overall.

either way it is nerfed and not worth spit now.

11. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

they always do crap like this when an expansion comes out. they deliberately make something new overpowered so PvP'ers will buy the expansion because most of the content is in Tram and it's hard to get people in Felucca interested.

12. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Oh no what are you going to precast now! My god if you honestly think spell plague didn't need nerfed you seriously need to drop your magery book in the nearest trash bin and play a dexxer.

13. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

But but, what if the character I precast spell plague on is a dexer!?

14. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Well then I wouldn't be surprised since your a bad mage :\

15. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

The damage has also been slightly increased on each level.
    So that final explosion when triggered should give a nice pop.

16. Locryn Finck

Locryn Finck Guest

Im curious to see what the practical application result of this will be.

Plague was incredibly powerful, but I liked that (along with the other mystic spells) it forced people to get resist. With short apple timers though, it still wasn't much of a problem. I would love to see apples marginalized and see people forced to include more defense and curse removal on their templates.

But, if this tones down damage on it I think we'll just see more necros again. Plague enabled bad players to have a shot offensively on a mage, and good players to dominate. The change on sleep to account for resist could be huge as well. 120 resist will now negate sleep AND paralyze.

Hopefully mystic can still do what it has done so well the past month: Marginalize cheap non resist pvprs.

17. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Ok, Working much better and not game breaking one way or the other.

18. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, but it is still negated by trap boxes. Something that will probably never be addressed.

19. longshanks

longshanks Guest

nice job on the testing of it lefty. thank you.

thanks also to the dev's who quickly fixed what you had discovered.

20. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Wasn't broken. I just think the RNG wasn't giving him any love.

(Best way to test spell plague
    Precast Plague
    Fast cleaver
    Bleed
    and keep hitting.)

That way you can verify that it is working.

Overall damage has probably gone up by maybe 20 or so if you get all the hits in.

21. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

So let me get this straight. Spell plague went from being a perfect application of a new spell (more powerful blood oath) to being ridiculously overpowered, which was then adjusted to still be ridiculously overpowered. I've been playing a mysticism mage on test prior to, and after the supposed changes and in a practical sense I have seen no change. You can throw all the detailed changes at me, but at the end of the day the adjustments have made no difference whatsoever in the long run. Way to break something that wasn't fixed to begin with...:thumbup1:

Oh ya, not to mention there is a spell that can make a mage invincible to another in protection and is somehow overlooked.

22. Vaen Swiftar

Vaen Swiftar Guest

Hahahhahahahahahahahahaha

God I love this guy

"LOL U MAGES DESURFD 2 B NURFED"

"WAIT WAT!?!?! :wall: :sad2:"

23. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

If you can show me anywhere in my post where i say mages should be nerfed I'd like to read it.

24. Vaen Swiftar

Vaen Swiftar Guest

Well there's that, for instance. You're asking for a nerf to a Mystic Mage, which is still a mage. If you want to be technical and be all "oh I didn't mean magery I meant mysticism," then I shall be technical in return and say that you would want to nerf "mages," not "magery," and that in turn, primarily means Mysticism Mages, in context.

Sooo, yeah. Lots of technicalities if you want to go down that road, but it's all the same in the end.

25. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Mysticism is not magery in any way shape or form, period. Therefore nerfing mysticism in no way is nerfing mages because mages by definition use MAGERY. Please don't reply with more idiotic comments just because mysticism finally made you decent.

26. WarUltima

WarUltima Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

All I can tell you is to L2P.

So using your logic archer in his own definition should only use archery, NO HEALING thats a healer, NO Ninja coz that's a Ninja, NO Bushido coz that's a Samurai no Chiv because thats a Paladin... Why dont you just go play something like wow, if you are a mage you cant vanish, if you are a warrior you cant Pyroblast... seems like a better game for you.

Only one that's making idiotic comment is you.

27. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Look at all the nasty replies from bad mages that benefit from such an overpowered spell.

28. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

And retaded idiotic replies from untalented PvPer. sigh...

29. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

I guarantee I'll beat you any template anyday...the fact is spell plague is overpowered and needs to be nerfed.

30. jtw1984

jtw1984 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

It is kind of lame right now. Mystic mages can carry around 2 vollems with them. They run up explo/spell plague you and then just spam nether/marrow. You ill drop extremely fast.

Even without vollems the spell plague does insane damage. For a warrior its fine they can heal on the run. For another mage though, if you apple the first one (even at 120 resist), they will just sleep spam you and then cast it again.

It's a lose lose situation.

31. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

Hehe, sure did you wet yourself when you had that dream?

32. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

you cant sleep spam..... so onto the next argument.

Spell plague isnt that over powered. True they can precast it, then you apple. If they can somehow get it off again, seeing that it takes quite a while to cast, you just need help with your timing and cycles.... Here's an idea...... GET BETTER INSTEAD OF ASKING FOR NERFS!!!

33. Jesusislord

Jesusislord Guest

I've done enough tests. It leaves me redlined with a spell plague and 3-4 harms generally, until I get that 3rd explosion. Same as on the production shard, where I have more HPs.

But on to what matters..

This spell plague buff definitely spells trouble. You can't kill a mystic mage in protection with a dexer of any kind; and now the dexer will drop 20hp or so quicker.. according to the Developer dude's posts in channel.

I'm glad mages are getting some love, but most have been arguing for a nerf to spell plague.. not a buff.. why not have resist make a difference with spell plague like it did when mysticism came out?

People die instantly to spell plague + anything currently.. this will just make them drop faster than instantly.

34. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

I tested it it wasnt a buff imo. Now I have to cast more spells to get the most out of the spell plague. Last plague has very low chance when I tested. Even with Harm spamming out of 10 SP i was only to get all 4 hits off 2 of them this is I am not getting hit and the guy stays on my screen.

UNLESS you are blessed by RNG god, and someone is willing to stand still and let you dump him and stupid enough to not try to disrupt you AND you get lucky with the RNG god you get the final explosion... And It's NOT 20 more dmg, it's 20 more damage BEFORE armor. This means it's only 6 more dmg total if you can squeeze all 4 explosions out... you gained this 6 damage and lost a ton of opening bursting damage. If I had a choice I would rather SP works as it is currently, then losing burst dmg for 6 more damage that only happens if I am lucky.

35. Arcades

Arcades Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Just curious, since Logrus said to use Bleed and a cleaver to test, does Spell Plague damage actually work with non-spell based damage? I was under the impression that only spells would trigger the damage...do hit spell effects also count/trigger spell plague damage? Or non-direct damage damage-ticks such as strangle/bleed/purge magic?

36. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

All damages.

This including direct dmg, poison, strangle ticks, death strike, proc fireballs/lighting, all spell dmgs, holylight dmg, nerve strike, pet spells, pet hits... heck even tbox hits can trigger it.

37. Jesusislord

Jesusislord Guest

I have no problem getting the 3rd explosion off. AND You only need the initial explosion + two more as 1) you can stack spell plagues, and use them constantly 2) In group warfare, chances are all three explosions will go off, and you will die hard.

It's never been about the last explosion. It's been about the absurd damage you take from anything when you are spell plagued. A 25 damage harm, a 60 damage armor ignore.. none of this has changed. Oh is the 3rd explosion not going off for you when you magic arrow yourself? Wait until have run up against 3 mystic mages casting explosion spell plague flamestrikes.. anything.. then all three explosions will go off and everyone will be whining and no one will want to play because everytime you fight a mystic and get spell plagued you'll have to run away.

38. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

It is sad you do not even know how to properly use the template you are so desperately trying to argue for. Spell plague followed by magic arrow nether bolt spam is almost guaranteed to give you all 3 explosions every time. (The nether bolt magic arrow spam is also stupidly ridiculous as well. Magic arrow was not supposed to be spammed, hence the overlapping of the spell if you do not wait for the damage. But hey, this is a new skill so let's just undo everything that has been done right in UO and make it wrong, much like everything else that has happened for the past 13 years.

39. spoonyd

spoonyd Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Why does no one listen to Jax? Just because he's mean about what he says doesn't make him any less right.

40. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I really didn't want to get into an anti spell plague argument. I have sunk enough of those post already.

If you stay on screen with 3 mages casting a 3x combo each you are going to die spell plague or not.

Since Publish 65 hit I have not been killed by spellplague other than a full on gank. Most of the time I heal through it, and that is without pots.

It is as easily survivable as a death strike. If you do not heal through it, and or remove it in a state of panic. Yes you will most likely die.

41. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Because he doesn't know what he is talking about. The combo he just described wouldn't take off half your life bar.

There is a 2 second delay between blast. Plenty of time to heal through which I do all the time. Only bad PvPers stuck in a state of panic die to it.

42. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Go try that combo asap...it will 1/4 health just about anybody. You truly are showing everyone how much of a moron you are.

43. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

Because he doesnt even know what he's talking about. And definitely not right. He doesnt even understand the spell that he's desprately trying to get nerfed because any mystic can face plant him because he doesnt know how to combat them. And of course he's playing a mystic according to himself which probably mean other mystic outplays him and face plant him so much he couldnt handle it anymore.

I also have yet died to any mystic 1v1 since SA release, on my mage, archer, my mystic or any of my character. Only newbies that's incompetent to PvP dies to it due to panicking.

Again since he gets redlined by 1 spell plague and 3 harms... he needs to learn how to PvP or craft a PvP suit or simply quit trying to PvP naked.

44. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Actually I've yet to meet a mystic mage better than myself. I can completely dominate just about any mage I fight on a mystic mage, and yet here I am arguing against it because it's just plain gimp. Please do not talk down to me because I guarantee I'll destroy you on any mage template imaginable.

45. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

So you cant PvP... you stood there while someone is spamming you with spells? which explains it. And magic arrow nether bolt over and over?

How about my tactics archer mage, exp flame strike omen AI doing 130+ damage in 2 seconds and instant kill newbs like you? (literally 2 second exp is precast and I really only have to get off FS which I can prot)...

So I guess you want to cry about AI or explosion and FS now? Since I killed you in 2 second with only 2 damage spell.

46. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

Did you wet yourself in that dream again? Sorry your stealth archer couldnt hang with the real boys. :thumbup1:

I mean I cant believe people who claim themselves playing a mage couldnt figure out how to interrupt skills. He's spamming magic arrow fireball which is EASILY DESTROYED with simple weaken spam. Amateur mages.

47. Vaen Swiftar

Vaen Swiftar Guest

It's obvious that Jax really doesn't know what he's talking about.

48. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Where did I EVER say ANYTHING about magic arrow fireball. This thread is infested with the most moronic people I have ever encountered in my entire life. MAGIC ARROW NETHER BOLT. God if people actually READ what I say maybe you could give me an intelligent response?

49. WarUltima

Stratics Veteran

It was a typo, well I dont know about people like you, but when I spam weaken, I can stop that newbie combo with my eyes closed. Especially weaken is true instant whereas magic arrow and nether bolt is delayed. And I can again EASILY stop that mystic mage's offense with 1 single spell "weaken". I dont know what's your problem... you cant weaken right? you dont have a weaken macro? feeblemind and clumsy also works, you might wanna give it a try? I mean maybe it's just easy for ME to break that newb combo it could be harder for some mages out there tho.

50. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Anyone that says Spell Plague isn't overpowered is wrong. It is overpowered, and the new patch actually increases the damage and makes it even more overpowered.

Anyone who disagrees, I'd be happy to prove it to you on Great Lakes. I'll be playing tomorrow afternoon, PM me if you'd like a demonstration.