1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Publish 85 to Publish 86

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Goodmann, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I was just looking at dates here and Publish 85 was released Nov 20, 2013..................... There were some mini 85.01 ect. November 2013, really? Publish 86 is "soon" to be released 10 months later from it's previous publish.:yell::lame::bs::facepalm:

2. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

And just to think that is was Publish 16 that killed the thief profession for most of us...70 publishes later...la

SpyderBite and kRUXCg7 like this.
  3. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

Pub 16 saved UO

wanderer1origin likes this.
  4. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

yes, it's completely ridiculous.

5. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

Lets take a look:
    December 2013 (Vendor Search on Test)
    January 2014 (85.3 on TC with vendor search improvements)
    Feb 2014 (Transition to Broadsword announced, Announcement of work to bring back the Counselor Program)
    March 2014 (Vendor Search Released - Unfortunately broken upon release)
    April 2014 (UO goes on Steam Greenlight)
    May 2014 (Vendor Search Re-released, Job Opening created for new Engineer (which to my knowledge has not been filled yet))
    May 20th 2014 (VvV Focus Group Selections + Pub 85.5)
    July 2014 (Publish 86 on TC1, VvV Testing Phase 1)
    August 2014 (Publish 86.2 on TC1, VvV Phase 2)
    August 29th 2014 (VvV Phase 3)

Yea, the Devs have LITERALLY been doing nothing. I mean, its not like Vendor Search has been requested a lot, or a great addition to the game. I mean...if you ignore them adding one of the most badly needed, and useful features in a long time...Also lets ignore the major game changing additions in Pub 86 (removal of factions, brand new PvP System, change to Global Loot in the WHOLE GAME). If you ignore any of that, its a shameful how slow our 5 Developers are.

Why cant I get content in UO as fast as WoW does? Sure Blizzard has over 200 employees, and almost 8million subscribers.....But that's no excuse that UO cant deliver content as fast as they do! I mean, patch 5.4 on WoW came out 9/10/13. So yea...its only going to have been over a year before the next patch.

6. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Shhh, voices of reason are not allowed here.

7. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

if you're going to include things like Publish 85.5 in there, you have to look at the smaller patches Blizzard has done since 5.4 as well...

Also Blizzard is working on an expansion to be released in 2 months and remodeling races but that's no big deal right.

8. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Are you under some bizarre illusion that we have even close to the same number of devs that WoW has? Funding too?

9. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I don't see where you could have possibly gotten the idea I meant anything like that.

10. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

I mean, Blizzard staff working on WoW is only at around 200 people.

Our 5 could easily push out content just as fast.

11. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Because you appear to be comparing the progress of UO to that of WoW in the post I previously quoted.

12. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I mean, can you read, did you see the post I quoted?

13. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I did indeed. But it was also a bit ambiguous as to whether you were directly referencing that or also still complaining about the UO devs progress. Given you constant ramblings, however, I went with the latter...

14. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Right...

15. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

WoW sucks..first and foremost

But that being said, our "5 Devs" 80-90% of the time push out content faster ?????

You consider holiday gifts "content" all that other stuff you mentioned is either "buggy" as hell, "unfinished" or absolute junk..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I believe Promathia was being sarcastic...

cazador likes this.
  17. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

sorry but 6 months for vendor search was kinda unacceptable. i do not think it added much to the game as most vendors were, and still are in luna or on the third party search sites anyways.

If there was other content and it was an extra, sure, its nice.

I do not consider simple holiday gifts content.

I also dont expect content from UO at this point in the game

I would be much happier if there was ZERO content other than EM events, however the subscription cost were eliminated. I think at this point in the game that would be a better option than small bits of content here and there, that, historically speaking, are only utilized for about 3 weeks after release for the vast majority of players.

Theres plenty of content in UO. we dont need anymore, its just a shame that the content we do have is 90 percent not worth doing. If practical, useful drops, or slight revisions of old drops had been implemented that content would be sufficient for years.

#17 Smoot, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  18. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

I was here.

Viquire likes this.
  19. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Dermott did it.

20. Dregg

Dregg Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I have hardly bought anything inside luna walls since the fixed release of vendor search. Seems to me the better deals are always outside of luna for the product i look to purchase now so IMOP i think the vendor search was a great addition to this game, it is late but still opened up a better market for the game in general.

21. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

i agree its useful, but i cant really believe that 6 full months of dev time was spent on it. that just doesnt make sense to me, and its still not even working correctly. its very frustrating, vendor search often greys out while sitting at luna bank and i have to wait five or 10 mins for it to start working again.

90 percent of the shops outside luna that i end up at were on the search sites before, but yes its nice for a random very casual player who doesnt want to rent a vendor at a small mall or in luna.

So 6 months for a system that yes is very nice, but wasnt 100 percent needed and isnt even working properly? sorry but im not impressed.

personally i would have preferred the 6 months to be spent on general bug fixes. thats just me tho.

#21 Smoot, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  22. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I do have a theory for why it bugs / greys out periodically. I think if you leave it up for more than a couple mins (as i often require when searching through armor pieces or jewels) it tries to update again and kicks you out of the system. thats all i can think of with my very limited understanding of how it works. its still very sluggish and very frustrating when you have to wait, go back and start / continue your search again.

23. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I think vendor search is a fine addition... but it's been a year since any new content was added.

That's pretty rough. Non-coincidentally I haven't had my account open for around 7 of the past 10 months.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  24. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Vendor search is wonderful.. Should have been in game since beta.

Gifts are all typically trash.. And take zero time.

*waits for global loot* vvv is trash won't last a month.

25. kaio

kaio Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Vendor search, don't care. (was nice and all, but too late)
    VVV don't care.
    Balance pvp DO CARE.
    New Pixel crack + new global loot DO CARE.
    New stuff to tame DO CARE.
    Let me know when to activate accounts...As it is now, its not really worth my $$$

26. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

To be fair, just about any PvP system at this point is trash. The problem isn't with the systems, though, but PvP. There just isn't enough overall PvP activity per shard, or ever be enough activity, to make any PvP system work well. VvV will work for a while, but unless there is any rise in interest in PvP from it that can last, it will just turn out like factions again. But it may last long enough, it does have some neat appeal apart from just being a new system. And those nay sayers may just be too stubborn to admit it does have appeal :p
    Time will just have to tell, though....

27. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

To me your opinion counts as ZERO till u pay to play ...

Swt Lippy Hippy and Lord Nabin like this.
  28. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Professional Mall Santa and Legendary Piglet
    Professional Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

THANK YOU! Like I always say: Crybabies, everywhere. Cmon, be mature. Enjoy the game and stop whining.

29. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, because so long as YOU are happy everyone who isn't must be a whining crybaby. Gotcha. :rolleyes:

The fact that there has been no added content in nearly a year IS a valid complaint for players of an mmo. It's not good for the game.

The vendor search addition was great... but it took what, six months?

30. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Professional Mall Santa and Legendary Piglet
    Professional Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

You are right! I am just exaggerating. But many others are exaggerating in the other direction. I understand my self as the "hysterically happy voice of the silent majority that is quite content with the game".

I always loved the court jester that was in systemtic opposition to the majority. So, sorry about me being annoying...

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  31. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Something we all may need to remind ourselves of occasionally is that there has been a big change for the Japanese players of UO with the closure of the UO Japan website.

It may be that publishes are happening less quickly because there are fewer resources available these days within Broadsword to do things like translate publish and patch notes and to make sure that coding for new items and new activities in the game is "localized" for the Japanese players. And if there is anything going on with regard to selling things through the Origin store or for changing things with the account maintenance system, there would also be translation issues there as well and more than likely not just for Japanese players but also for several other countries/languages. I don't know much about Steam and its use in other countries, but if that site also provides game access in languages other than English, that could also be slowing down things for the rollout of UO on Steam.

32. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Ha, if anyone wonders why my post is missing, I must apologize, I just realized why posting while tired is bad. Replied to a post that wasn't actually directed at me (while I thought it was until I saw it clearly) :p

33. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Lets take a look:
    November 20: Publish 85
    December 2013 (Vendor Search on Test)
    January 2014 (85.3 on TC with vendor search improvements)
    Feb 2014 (Transition to Broadsword announced, Announcement of work to bring back the Counselor Program)
    March 2014 (Vendor Search Released - Unfortunately broken upon release)
    April 2014 (UO goes on Steam Greenlight)
    May 2014 (Vendor Search Re-released, Job Opening created for new Engineer (which to my knowledge has not been filled yet))
    May 20th 2014 (VvV Focus Group Selections + Pub 85.5)
    July 2014 (Publish 86 on TC1, VvV Testing Phase 1)
    August 2014 (Publish 86.2 on TC1, VvV Phase 2)
    August 29th 2014 (VvV Phase 3)

You are talking about 10 months. Half of the points you make are testing and the fixing of vendor search. I hope you actually read some of the threads on steam when it was being green lit, plagued with negative comments. I keep hearing about the bright future of UO but I see people leaving at a record pace and don't see many new faces to replace them. This is EA leaving UO titanic in 3d photos (3).jpg
    Broadsword is playing music in the background.

34. SlobberKnocker

SlobberKnocker Slightly Crazed

This last paragraph totally hits the nail on the head. Revamps, revised drops and keeping the grind to a minimum are keys to moving forward here.

i would love to see the doom artifacts revamped. for the life of me i will never understand why the whole drop system is not done in that manner.

kRUXCg7 and Smoot like this.
  35. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

While i dont agree wholeheartedly, i do love a good metaphor :)

The game is in maintenance mode, and that is fine. it will be around for a while. Hopefully the devs can learn from past mistakes and find simple, efficient ways to implement quality entertainment, fixes, updates, without huge time consuming projects that only bring a small benefit.

Personally id love to see UO put into the hands of volunteers, but i dont think thats possible. The EM program is excellent, fresh live content multiple times a week and those "employees" are basically volunteers (i know they are paid a small amount to keep it legal, but for what they do its basically nothing)

36. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

While I do agree that this game is probably slowly heading that way, we can't really claim maintenance mode if they are still adding content, regardless of how little you may see coming. Maintencance mode is when they are only keeping the game running.

37. kaio

kaio Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Who cares about you're opinion ?
    I do know someone who cares about you're $$$

38. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Just updating the mass space that the game has would add life. Wasted time like VVV, vendor search(while certainly working well it was 7 years to late and not super handy in todays ATL based shopping mall), refinements or the amazingly stupid two add-ons just hurt the game and piss people off.

39. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

If that volunteers name was Lord British, I would say hell yes. When Broadsword took over why not bring Richard Garriot back to lead the way. We need a touch of the old Ultima back (RISK VERSUS REWARD) but I will just take publish 86 at this point

40. Chums

Chums Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Wow has over 8 million subs and is 10 years old. That's 80 times more subs then UO has ever had. I'm not a huge fan of the game by any mean but to say it suck is pretty ignorant. Your opinion doesn't qualify as reality.

Please come back with a McDonald's analogy or along those line.

Fact are facts if the game was horrible it wouldn't have the subs and would have went the way of Co or MxO.

41. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I didn't say it's "fact" I'm quite entitled to my opinion and as such it still stands WoW sucks! Thanks for the reply though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

i think wow sucks too. i could do without the quests or leveling :eyes:

43. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You aren't being annoying. We just have different perspectives, and in game interests.

44. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I mean, whether a game sucks or not is pretty subjective. Objectively a lot of people get enjoyment out of it, but then again you could say the same thing about huffing paint.

I think there are arguments on both sides of the sucks/rocks opinion on wow and both are probably correct.

45. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I am feeling good about this being the week for our next publish :cheerleader:

46. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

You'd be wrong though...

Mesanna said on 9/04:
    So with what needs to be ample time on Origin, we're probably looking at the 19th or the 22nd.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  47. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Final patch on TC1 the 15th. We are probably looking more like october for this on production shards...

48. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

Honestly, I'd hope so, but their track record says otherwise. :oops:

I'm going to guess their goal is to get the publish out by/before the 17th anniversary on the 24th, 16 days from now.

49. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

If only we didn't have to wait on VvV, it could be out so much earlier.

50. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

it would be nice, but it makes alot more work for them to do 2 separate large publishes.