1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Purchasing Issue [Reported via Feedback]

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Hannes Erich, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Hannes Erich

Hannes Erich Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Nov 13, 2008
    I sent the following message to Mythic via the Herald's Feedback page. I am posting it here in order to help make the issue as visible as possible, to forum readers at Mythic and everywhere else.

Hello Mythic! I hope this finds its way to the right place! I have been unable to communicate this issue effectively to EA Support or your [email protected] address or the forum: New customers are unable to purchase New Account Codes on UO's official UOGamecodes Web site.

Although trial accounts are available (elsewhere), this is a design issue that has (for a long while) prevented UO from obtaining new customers through any initial point of purchase. Digital publishing works; but issues that prevent sales are exacerbated in the absence of boxed publishing.

I understand you're busy working on Stygian Abyss, but I am determined to get this issue to someone who cares. You're doing the best work since Origin and I do not want to see your efforts hindered by a simple purchasing issue.

Mythic, thank you for all your work. I have enjoyed Ultima games since childhood and have recently passed the fun on to my nephew. Merry Christmas and take care.

Note to forum readers: New customers who want to forgo the trial by purchasing the game outright are prevented from doing so. This may not be the most awesome business model (preventing people from buying your product when they want to).

Digital publishers who do not offer a direct point of purchase to new customers end up with fewer customers.

When I could not buy Ultima Online outright, I got on Google and eventually found a way to buy a new account code elsewhere (Markeedragon.com). Sure, I could have taken the trial instead. But why did I have to think about it at all?

If new customers are provided a "Buy Now" button, UO will obtain more customers. This is why other digital publishers provide Buy Now buttons. It is a profitable idea for EA. It is a good idea for customers.
  2. EA's Pogo.com has downloadable demo versions of the single-player stuff they have - all with builtin timeout/uninstall limits. BUT they have the ability to "buy now". RealArcade.com as well.

This is a problem for UO, for sure.
  3. Hannes Erich

Hannes Erich Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Nov 13, 2008
    For your viewing enjoyment, CCP and Sony Online are good examples of digital publishers. Their "Try Now" and "Buy Now" buttons are located in close proximity to each other.

This is an industry standard, by the way.
  • About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!