1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pure Skill Dueling

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Ludes, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

So how many people would be interested in dueling without magical help..

Enter the ring nekkid, with just a non magical sword. No potions, no magic, no-bandaids.

Idea could be adapted.. maybe healing allowed.. etc.

Any interest?

2. Martell

Martell Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

How is there any skill involved in this?

3. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Well you are relying only on your skill level.. No Uber suit to protect you, no magical sword to fight with..

Only your skill level.. how is that vague?

4. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sounds more like letting the RNG determine the winner.

If you are doing nothing but sitting there hitting the other person with a stock sword - the RNG is going to determine the winner.

I see no skill at all involved in this.

5. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

How is the RNG gonna determine how I use my skill in swords, my dex, parry, and my chivalry to fight? How is the RNG gonna determine whether I hit you or you hit me? Did you think your opponent would just stand there and trade blows?

C'mon Theo, someone who's been around as long as you should know better.

6. Ned888

Ned888 Seasoned Veteran

I think it's a good idea! Maybe you could allow Exceptionally Crafted Armor and Weapons as long as they were non-magical. Crafting is a skill too! ;)

I'd participate!

7. Specialshoes

Stratics Veteran

Are you on Pacific? There is a growing interest in our rp alliance to start events like this back up.

8. Martell

Martell Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

1)How is chivalry not magical help?
    2)Wep hits are determined by a random number generator not your skills. Your skills simply increase your chances of getting a hit.
    3)Doesn't take a genius to figure out to win this fight you set wep skill/parry/str/ dex to 120.
    4)There are no "uber suits" anymore because everyone can have the same suit so your complaint that you want a fight that isn't item based is stupid. With imbuing its a level playing field (unless of course you don't have enough "skill" to figure out whats going on).

All in all mage fights involve 1000x more skill than any dexxer fight plain and simple this has always been the case.

9. temu

temu Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

How about standard 5x mage dueling? Human characters (no elf 70+ energy resist), no inscription, and no hit point regeneration suits allowed.

10. UOPlayer4LYFE

UOPlayer4LYFE Visitor

There isn't. Dumb idea.

11. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Chivalry is a skill. Magery is a skill.. And if everyone has the same suit how is that different than not wearing one at all?
    If you do set wep/parry stre'dex/ all to 120 than you would be pretty skilled and would do well with this kind of combat. An opponent with the same stats and it would come down to just skill in melee wouldn't it..

But don't flame me.. noone is gonna make anyone take off their magic suit and fight nekkid.

I just wanted to see if there would be any interest in skill based dueling.

12. Martell

Martell Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

your idea of skill based dueling requires no actual skill, by which i mean talent, and therefore is stupid. Might as well see if anyone wants to play rock paper scissors.

13. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Then don't try it.

And no Specialshoes I don't currently have a char on Pacific, but I could start one.

14. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Most people equate skill with decision making and timing. Two guys standing nude whacking each other with viking swords doesn't fit into that pigeon hole.

15. Njjj

Njjj Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Sounds like bob vs fred on roids

16. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Well that's well and good for you all bashers.... but I'm an archer. What good would me carrying a sword do???

I might cut myself with it!

Swords are for knuckleheads... and barbarians... who like Bashing...

I prefer to track my prey and kill it in a clean neat more civilized manner.

Tracking the wounded creature and ending it's misery with a good clean shot... from a safe distance of course.

You all want to grapple around bashing one another and spilling their blood all over the ground that's fine but... as for me... I don't think so.

Barbarians!

17. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

yeah, if you want to do this this isn't the way to go, if you want to have pure skill duels allow only items from NPC vendors, and only allow players to use items which require a skill to use. (obviously, if you're a healer, you need bandages). Timing heals, pulling back for more swings, even in pre-aos days was the core of combat. I applaud the idea of taking armor of the the equation for dueling but as you put it you're taking the skill out of the duel also, and forcing everyone to use a single template.

I've done events like this in the past, and did one on siege a year or so ago tackling the anti-virtue dungeons with a group in NPC bought armor.

as stated, the guy who is 120 swords/120 bush/120 tact/120 anat/120 parry/120 focus, 120 str/125 dex/10 int is going to win 10/10 matches

18. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I think both are good ideas.. npc weopons and armour.

And since band-aids need healing skill to use effectively they should be allowed.