1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Swordsmanship] Pure Warrior - Some questions

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by Blackie, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Blackie

Blackie Adventurer

Hello,

I recently had the good fortune of being able to re-activate my account from 1999 after it was restored by a GM. As you know the skills capped at 100 back then and most of the new skills didn't even exist yet. On the account was a group of fully capped characters, one of them a pure warrior I'd like to keep that way.

By pure warrior I mean the following after he eats some 120 scrolls, this is purely for PvM and he currently has 100 in each already so a good start already. Travel is from books using recall scrolls, no magery required.
    • 120 Swords
    • 120 Tactics
    • 120 Anatomy
    • 120 Healing
    • 120 Parrying
    • 120 Resist
    I'd like to do peerless bosses ideally, is this possible with a pure warrior? I'd also like to run around in Doom and do champ spawns a little but primarily attempting peerless bosses is my goal.

Slayer weapon, 70's resist armor(all plate since no real need of mana?) is a given but the priority after that is a bit confusing to me still. SSI, of course, probably ranks tops, as does DCI since I'm essentially a tank... but what else would be mandatory?

Stats, Currently he is 100 Str, 100 Dex and 25 Int buck naked. I did notice a +5 bonus applied when I logged on again which I haven't added yet, and he hasn't eaten a stat scroll or commendation yet either. Ideal stats after gearing for this pure warrior would be... ? Again, this is a PvM character, I'd like to be able to stand in the fire, err, take a heavy beating without being constantly near death.

Opinions welcome, especially if you have both pure warrior AND peerless boss experience. I do have a pure tamer, bard and pretty much every old school skill on this account but zero new skills like Bushido, etc so I'd like to keep it old school, if possible.

2. Ossy

Ossy Adventurer

Skill cap is still only 720, so won't be able to be 120 in all skills.

Can go above the limits with items.

I just came back myself. Wish I could restore my old account but I don't remember the username and stuff I used.

3. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

6 x 120 = 720. Above template would be fine.

With your weapons I would go for double axes (for Whirlwind) special move. This is great for champ spawns etc. Then I would also rock something like a bladed staff for AI special move.

These days its quite easy to max out a PvM suit for this kind of warrior.

I would go for this:

45 HCI
    45 DCI
    100 damage increase
    150 STR

Work out how much stamina and SSI you need to swing your weapon as max speed (1.25s) then work form that.

4. Ossy

Ossy Adventurer

Whoops, my bad. Didn't count up the skills.

No Chiv or Bushido in that build.

5. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Make sure you have enough mana in the suit to chain up AI and DS, regardless.
    I'd rather go with 120 chiv than 120 resist to help with damage output, specially against stuff that has no slayer, though.
    Your main staying power will be hit life leech on your weapon, so you need to deal big damage to stay alive.

6. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

with the help of potions and some good armour you can easily achieve 150 HP/ 150 Stam / 100 mana.
    I agreed wit DjAd double axes for WW and DS. If you can keep SSi off your weapons ( by wearing SSI items) then you can max out HML and HLL.
    You can also go with radiant scimitars and a shield if you are just doing Spawns for the low level stuff.

I know you want to do pure warrior template but if you consider add Chiv instead of RS, then you should read the pure paladin thread on this forum.....you build is definitely viable.

7. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

• 100 Swords (+20 from Cap John Hat)
    • 105 Tactics (+15 from Jewels)
    • 105 Anatomy (+15 from Jewels)
    • 90 Healing
    • 110 Parrying (+10 from shield)
    • 100 Resist
    • 110 Chivalry
    That's the template I use for my PVM Paladin warrior. The obvious difference being that I am getting quite a lot of points from jewels and equipment to get to 120 for a number of my skills. However, this allows me to add chivalry, which I feel is crucial for any warrior.

Resist is fine at 100. If you're doing champ spawns and/or bosses with a lot of casters, I feel its def necessary to have something on there. Then if you have too many curses on you at the same time, you can always use 'Remove Curse' spell from Chivalry.

Overall, I will also admit that this is my least played character. I simply like the Life Leach function of my sampire a bit more. I do still use him for running Blackthorn's Dungeon and used to be mildly successful with him at champ spawns. As noted by others in here, you will want to get loaded up with damage increase, hit chance increase, defense chance increase and probably make sure you have plenty of Stamina so you can swing quick enough.

Best of luck!

8. kaio

kaio Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Pure warriors are nice, but they do have limited damage output, you should read the guide in the sticky thread here in this forum.
    I know it sux, but the guide does explain the different templates quite well.
    I give u this advice thou, having 6x120 is not always the best (even thou it sounds like it in theory)

9. Blackie

Blackie Adventurer

Great advice, thanks. If I keep the above template I'm looking at a Radiant Scimitar for a weapon and whirlwind damage for AOE. It's a fast weapon to start with so I probably won't need max SSI and dex so I'd need to figure out how much keeps me at 1.25 and perhaps 20 or so over to stay there. HLL/HSL are great on top of 120 healing, probably mandatory, but would a blood drinker weapon be overkill? I get the feeling there is no overkill when it comes to restoring life.

I checked out Bushido, it definitely provides more usefulness than some of the 6 skills I have. At 120 Parry + 120 Bushido I'd be looking at switching to a 2 handed weapon without the balanced trait for 40% parry without a shield correct? A staff seems best here. I like the way bushido looks on paper vs big bosses, perfection seems overpowered a little. If I was to do an EM event on this warrior without Bushido I doubt I'd keep up on damage enough to get a drop.

I checked out Chivalry too, also looks good on paper with the self buffs. Having Chiv makes you a paladin? I'll read the paladin thread for more info.

I like simple: as a pure warrior it is as simple as it gets, no need to stop and cast anything and bandages+potions with a decent amount of restoration on a fast weapon is the definition of easy... but now it's been made hard because you need special moves which means mana(on a warrior, rly?).

This is what I think I'll do: I'll run as a pure warrior, no chiv or bushido, and figure out what I can and cannot handle. Gold is not a concern so I'll build the best suit I can. I have a 120 imbuer on my other account so that's not a concern either.

Question: Armor type, I'd like to wear full plate but does that impact how much mana regen I get from my suit? IE: Is putting MR on a plate piece a complete waste?

Question: Hit area spells on the weapon, such as hit area fire, is it a good idea to have in situations where you would use whirlwind or does one cancel out the other?

Question: What about blood drinker, a good idea on a pure warrior?

Benefit: No matter what I do my mana regen will not be stellar as a pure warrior or paladin, I see a benefit in staying as a pure warrior here to use all available mana on whirlwind instead of on other things like consecrate etc.

Thanks for the input, I am going to resist the idea of using Bushido and Chivalry for now and stick to the 6 skills posted in my first post and see just how far I can push the envelope. To be honest If I get wrecked for not having Bushido or Chivalry it's going to make me want to find a way, each boss is different.

10. Lord GOD(GOD)

Lord GOD(GOD) Lore Keeper

Blood Drinker works from the special move Bleed Attack. I wouldn't bother with it.

Having Plate makes no difference to the Mana Regen property. However the type of armour you wear does affect Lower Mana Cost, you should forget Mana Regen as warriors use Mana Leech on their weapons, and have 40 LMC on your gear, with Studded Leather or Bone armour you get an extra 3 LMC per piece up to 5 pieces allowing 55 LMC.

Hit Area is great on any weapon but especially when using Whirlwind as the effect may go off on multiple targets at once, the damage it does is based on the damage the initial hit did so combined with Slayers or the Bushido Whirlwind bonus can usually result in more than an extra 90 damage per target (assuming 9 targets) minimum, people tend to pick a damage type that is the targets weakest for example Hit Fire Area for Arachnid/Undead spawns.

Forget Blood Drinker.

I would not expect to be particularly good on any Peerless with that template but Champion Spawns should be fine.

11. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

The HLL for the radiant scimitar is awful unless you are running vampire form, so you can't rely on it to stay alive.
    Regarding armour, go with plate for better stamina protection, as you won't have divine fury from chivalry to refresh your stamina when things get ugly and the RNG insists on not triggering for you the hit stamina leech.

12. vegasy

vegasy Journeyman

I agree with @TimberWolf, pure Paladin can make what pure warrior does.
    Chivalry can be substitute of RS with Remove Curse and you have more skills for combat.
    I have a pure paladin build and for walk alone its a good char.
    There are an article that speak of Pure Paladin and i suggest you to read.
    My Setup: The Purest Paladin Ever

For the equip other players said all, HLL and HML in weapon with healing can help stay alive

13. vegasy

vegasy Journeyman

ResSpel or Chiv are two different styles. ResSpel are easy to use without mana problem of chiv and with WW attack you can make champ so easy. Chiv its better for single target.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk