1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

PvE and PvP queues

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Thorne, Jun 6, 2014.

?

UO should have a PvE/PvP queue

1. Yes

14.3%
  2. No

85.7%
  1. Thorne

Thorne Visitor

Another game I like to play is Star Trek Online which has a feature which would be great for UO namely the joining a PvE/PvP queue, then get teleported to an area for a combat mission. I also used to play WoW which has a similar feature.

It should be easy to implement the same in UO, just using the 'stuck' option code and teleport to a champ area in a group or better, have a few new minimaps/dungeons where players can join a PvE/PvP queue and fight monsters or eachother. Anyone else would like to see this happen, sign up here.

2. Tomarke

Tomarke Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran D^A

no...Go play WoW or SWTOR or any other number of games that feature this...Leave UO out of it.

Aran, weins201, DJAd and 2 others like this.
  3. Lord Taliesin

Lord Taliesin Seasoned Veteran

I believe Kyronix mentioned a feature like this being part of the new PvP system they're working on. Maybe not the teleport part but that battles would start once enough people had joined on each side. I may have misunderstood, though.

CovenantX and G.v.P like this.
  4. Orgional Farimir

Orgional Farimir Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

No. Although the queue PvP is nice because you can PvP at almost any time, it isn't what made UO PvP so much fun. What made UO PVP so fun is the unexpectedness of it.

DJAd and FrejaSP like this.
  5. kaio

kaio Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Some kind of battlegrounds, where shard A, could fight shard B...could be awesome :)

DJAd likes this.
  6. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

I agree that would be awesome, letting anyone from any shard enter into a group PvP. I can remember huge PvP wars from 1998 with as many as 100 people on each side - it was crazy and chaotic, and everyone was too busy dying to worry about looting.

The problem is with the current UO code, it would be too easy to exploit.

7. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

*remembers server down at Brit graveyard with all the gear you never fought with any other time*

Ludes likes this.
  8. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It'll be (I assume) the exact same system that is in place for the re-vamped Despise Dungeon, which was introduced (I believe) with the advent of the 2012 Shard of the Dead.

@ the OP -- best thing to do now is global chat/Luna, I guess. But yes, for PvP, you should soon be covered.

CovenantX likes this.
  9. THP

THP Stratics Legend

really... a pvp queue...seroius...are u saying the dozen folks that actually pvp want to queue up....LOLZ

JUST SHOUT A location ...kill each other then... plz plz plz ...DONT MOAN ....in general chat that u was killed by a 8 year old randomly touching buttons on his dads laptop...[end]

10. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

The thing I love most about PvP in UO is that it isn't served up through a queue and you have that real feeling (ok, not so much now) that in Fel you can be ambushed around the next corner. Playing tag with a PK was my favourite hobby as a newbie :D

I have played games where you all got thrown into an area to fight and although it's fun and sometimes more balanced than a random encounter... it's kinda boring. I prefer that tingle at the back of my neck when I've got some loot on me and a red name flashes on screen. Even after all these years that rush of excitement is still there. Even if I'm just stealthing past a bunch of burly lads with some loot I'm holding my breath!

I can see some value in a new player who maybe doesn't have a PvP guild, giving him an instant group to play with. But I never felt that was a great way to interact with other PvPers. I barely spoke to players because they were just random people you'd never see again. Occasionally you'd get a good group going and do a few rounds, then you were back being a solo player again. And sheesh some just used to bail out of fights the minute they were in trouble and leave your side at a disadvantage. Wussies. I guess they were the equivalent of house hiders ;)

Wenchy

11. RockoNV

RockoNV Seasoned Veteran
    Alumni UOS

What UO has is what other games do not: community. UO has community and sub-communities. PvP, PvE, RP, Crafters, (you name it) each have their own communities. It is the community that makes the game, not the que.

weins201, Parnoc and Tomarke like this.
  12. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

I'm fairly certain I DON'T pay a monthly fee to play "Wait In a Line: Online".

13. THP

THP Stratics Legend

so weres this pvp queue lining up.......:next::sword::next::sword:lolz