1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

PvP mage suit - which artifacts?

Discussion in 'UO Spellcaster' started by Skelf, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Skelf

Skelf Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Long time dexer here...and I'm finding a mage suit just as hard to build.

Player made pieces are clearly the best option in many slots - yet there are some slots, where an artifact seems the best or even only option. I'm just not familiar enough with the options to be sure.

So, with the assumption that all skills will be coming out of points, not gear, and that this will be a standard 6 x 120 NecroMage:

1. Which artifacts, drops or player made, would people consider *must haves* for their best PvP mage suit?
    2. Which slots would you *always* fill with player made kit because there are no drops good enough to compete?
    3. Jewellery and weapon/book?

I would prefer to build a mage suit where the skills are totally independent of the kit so that I can switch skill templates without having to switch gear. This will likely make him slightly weaker than an optimally integrated character but I'd rather accept that penalty than get bored and have to go through the pain of fine tuning kit for a fresh template.

Mind you - we still have to see what SA will let us do...

Thanks in advance for any incoming advice.

2. Chaosy

Chaosy Guest

The most popular necromage suit consists of:

Folded Steel glasses
    Crystalline Ring
    Inquisitor's Resolution
    Armor of Fortune
    Totem of the Void
    Crimson Cincture
    Quiver of Infinity
    Ornament of the Magician

Crafted legs/arms/gorget. To be honest, no good artifact arms exist, so they're always going to be a slot that you need to use crafted items with.

3. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

That's an awesome suit but way expensive. I think the inquisitors alone goes for about 35M in Atlantic.

Do you recommend any mid-priced alternative pieces until I'm able to obtain pieces to the suit you listed?

-OBSIDIAN-

4. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Factions.

5. Chaosy

Chaosy Guest

Inquisitor's sell for 20 or so now since faction items came out. It hasn't been 35 for awhile.

6. RichDC

RichDC Guest

In all honesty(apart from faction) the only thing you can cheapen the cost of is the helm, you can use the ancient samurai helm insted, or i guess the aegis of grace if you can fit the resistances.

The rest are pretty much base, unless you can for example find a +15mage ring with godly mods.(your competing with 5Hpr 20%sdi and 3Mr)

You can make it with

Heart of lion, Pendant of magi, Ancient samurai helm, 2amazing jewels with 3/1 Lmc, lrc, +magery and then use high end runic(very high end) armour

That will give you similar effects to the previous.

7. Chaosy

Chaosy Guest

Yep, most of my cross-shard necromages use 1/2 rings with + magery, ornament, kasa, heart of the lion, maybe pendant of the magi, alchy tally. It keeps the suit cheap and not too much worse off than the standard build.

8. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Thanks for the inputs. This helps me get a starter suit going until I can get into the high-end items. I'm still buying power scrolls for my necro-mage and those are draining my savings.

Question: Why all the +magery items? I assume this is to offset the magery reduction from a mage weapon. If so, what type & stats on the weapon are required? I'm guessing a -20 mage weapon Twinkling Scimitar w/ SSI, and the other hand is kept free for pots.

Thanks for your inputs!

-OBSIDIAN-

9. ZidjiN

ZidjiN Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Well what you would like is a spell Channeling (no penalty) mageweap-20 and preferably DCI.

10. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I run a very similar suit on my factions necro/mage.

Here is what i suggest if you go faction suit

Folded Steel Reading Glasses
    Pendant of Magi
    Heart of Lion
    Ornimant of magician
    Crystalline ring
    Crimson Cincture
    Totem of void
    Quiver of Infinity

That leaves Gloves, Arms, Legs to pack on resists and 50 LRC, MR and LMC. With it you are 45 DCI. I find it a handy suit.

11. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

SSI isnt necessary with a mage weap on a necro as you wouldnt be using it to swing at people. Its there merely for the defensive.

12. Arch Magus

Arch Magus Guest

Factions.