1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pvp mage

Discussion in 'UO Spellcaster' started by GFY, Jul 24, 2009.

1. GFY

GFY Guest

Well, it's sad for me to admit but I feel that my poor ole mage has become obsolete in pvp.

I have been working on a necro mage and I've seen the power of a necro mage weaver. I just think it's a bit sad that I spend all this time and gold building a mage and having him be almost useless in pvp. They talk about "balancing" templates but when one of the oldest templates is "balanced" into the nursing home something is wrong.

2. kaio

kaio Sage
    Stratics Veteran

What template do you run ? 7xgm scribe mage ? hehe

3. GFY

GFY Guest

Actually a 5X Legendary mage with gm scribe.

4. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

i pvp with a 5x 120 scribe mage most of the time... how isn't it effective. wrestling is much better than a mage weapon imo.

5. JoO

JoO Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

no template stops people from running off screen when or before your second spell lands. :( But I have to agree with cetric I ran a mage wep necro for a while and found myself just getting chain disarmed which opens you up for moving shot spam or just conc blow goodness.

This is all related to group pvp. Im not sure what flavor you are seeking.

6. Jesusislord

Jesusislord Guest

Magery without necro is meh.. unless you have inscription, in which case you could consider using Protection, and stacking resist back up to 120 (Or just use potions, etc). And stacking physical resist. Reactive Armor and/or Magic Reflection could help restoring your resists.

And if you don't use protection with inscription, you will get more damage from having necro/SS than the 10% inscribe bonus.

Play around with mind blast. Use lower level spells like fireball. (Especially if the the victim is cursed)

7. kaio

kaio Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Explain what your'e problem is ? How is that obsolete ?
    The template works for pvp. (i have one, and he is doing good)
    Solo/team/yew ? what kind of pvp do u do ?

8. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Could someone explain 5x legendary mage to me?:dunce:

Obviously magery and eval... but what else? Med, eval, wrestle? *confused*

If that is it, mine is a tweaked one with parry and works VERY well in PvP(well, at least I don't die in five seconds to dexers)

9. kaio

kaio Sage
    Stratics Veteran

My guess is standard wrest-scribe-mage
    120 magery
    120 eval
    120 med
    120 resist
    120 Wrestling
    100 scribe

The standard wrest-scribe-mage is still viable in pvp, just dont stand in the front-line. And ya parry-mages does extremly well (survival based, not kill based)

10. GFY

GFY Guest

Ok my problem is;

1) I can't beat dexxers. Since they changed disarm I have a very difficult time with dexxers. I could hold my own before the change not it isn't even close.

2) Necros... please... is there any way for a mage to beat a necro with out the necro losing con! (Just kidding but seriously I never had a chance against a living necro)

Lastly I have been away fro a while but before I left I held my own with a mage now I can't. I'm frustrated and I've even been going over to the dark side! I'm building a necro mage. (If you can't beat em... ) But I'd rather BEAT EM! :wall:

11. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Dexers are a tough breed especially on a mage where they can just disrupt your spells.

As I mentioned, 120 parry, 120 wrestle, and super high DCI has been my solution to dexxers. I can't kill them but 1v1, they can't kill me and even 3+v1 they take a long time:thumbsup:

Necro's have three things going for them but those can be defeated:
    1. corpse skin - simply run a suit with 15+ extra fire resist on it.
    2. strangle - apples? Talisman? (I believe both take this off)
    3. pain spike - red pots:thumbsup:

The one you will have a problem is evil omen. That is a pain to get around when they run up with it precast then drop a flamestrike on you:cursing:

12. Alezi

Alezi Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Protection in PvP = Major Fail. The target should ALWAYS be cursed. Lower circle spells like fireball ain't gonna kill a dexer running around with 150hp, eating apples and chugging pots. Especially with protection on.