1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

PvP Question...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by kelmo, Aug 13, 2009.

1. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I know there are a lot of factors in being successful in PvP.
    Practice, good macros, etc...

How important is the computer?

2. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

It's not important as long as you don't want to move...

The poorer the computer, the more you have to stay away from things that will bog down the computer to load. Two people fighting in Luna, the one with the poorer computer will probably never (solo) kill the person with the better computer, as they can be outrun.

Fighting in the countryside, it's less important but still a factor. With a poorer computer, you'd probably want to be a mage so that you have some leeway as to the range.

3. RichDC

RichDC Guest

I would have thought archer myself, mages timing is everything is it not?

An archer will still swin every 2seconds regardless if your computer loads it as such, you can still perform specials...even if you cnat see yourself perform them.

4. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

As long as you're not moving, and don't have network related lag, a mage should be fine. It's the movement (and the associated loading of what you come across) that really affects older computers. Network lag would badly hamper a mage, but that's a separate issue from an older computer.

Edit: And of course, it doesn't matter if you're mage or archer, if somebody's out of range you're going to be the same speed trying to catch them.

5. Rykus

Rykus Guest

There are a few things you can do to help with the performance of the UO client, but overall the better PC (to a point, UO isn't an overly demanding app), and connection will definitely give an advantage.

If you find yourself very laggy in heavily populated areas, try reducing the housing cache in your client. I keep mine at about 30, and it seems to be good there, without reloading too much.

6. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

You can also reduce your range of vision to a single square in any direction.

That should give a great performance boost.

7. wulf is right,

a slight bit of lag wouldnt hurt you spellcasting as much as your run speed

still, if your computer is bad, invest in skills that dont require activity

parrying
    magicresist
    poisoning
    archery
    taming

anything that once its set in place, keeps going. if you adapt to your lag, you can pvp fine. you wont be the best tho

8. Freelsy

Freelsy Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

If you lag and fight an experienced person, all the extra skills in the game wont save you...you will die every time. Your best bet would be to play a stealthing dismounter.

9. Troll The T Hunter

Troll The T Hunter Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Connection > skill

enough said

10. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Depends on how you look at it.

The computer is important, but the game is 11+ years old so not as important as it would be in other games.

My old comp, a laptop, was 1.6ghz proc., 512MB Ram running a 64mb vid card. I played UO on this comp until this past christmas.

I could still PvP fine on it, but on the field... in areas that required lots of client <-> server talk (such as luna) which would require my computer to process a lot of stuff at one time... I would lag bad.

Rich also eluded to the other problem I had. Timing. While playing on that computer for so long, I had grown acclimated to the timing... I casted slower and I saw things happen after they actually happened.

Compare that with my current computer.

It's a desktop with 2.8 - 3.0ghz (quad core,) 6GB Ram and running 2 512mb vid cards.

The only lag I see on this computer is related to my internet connection. I see what my opponents doing when they're doing it and my casting is more on part with what it should be.

If you're good, a crappy computer won't make you bad at this game... but a decent computer will enable you hit you're potential.

11. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Potential = Skill * Connection

If one lacks, you can make up for it to a point with the other.

12. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Well. My ping is a decent 50-60. I do experience a lot of lag (especially in SA client) when I am around high density areas. Like my house full of crap.

13. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

14. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Is that where I go to suggest that they allow the option to reskin the whole client in Blaze, and allow UO to connect to facebook so that it can automatically grab the name of my pets to import onto my tames?

15. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Guest

Kelmo...this has been no secret in OTF or EVO or KoC and now SP that when I moved out to where im at now...which is BFE....My isp is terrable...i have a decent computer, but my lag spikes at times makes it impossible for me to play a mage....which I always did before....I went from casting level #2 to casting Level #5

Do you remember when Big D and I went back and forth about fighting and all the Ra Ra?

Well he knew this also....he always wanted to field fight me,,,,but never wanted fight me in a pit....Hence, when I had to upload all that extra pixal crap in the field or Luna or Yew, I lag out...if we are in a remote place in a pit I stand a chance....so for PvP...just no your limitations and stay within those paramaters...

Cause I could get him low....but he could just bolt off screen and heal AT WILL with no risk of dieing....I stood all the risk....thats why he never agreed to fight me in a pit....im not the best, im not the worst....but I do recognized my limitations....which you need to figure out....

I love playing a mage, I love mage dueling, I love field fighting with a mage, But I know I just cant do it...if you can cast three more magic Arrows then i can, you do the math....it doesnt work...

you just have to play with it....
    thats my two cents worth