1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

PvP Skill Set

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by Papadom, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Papadom

Papadom Guest

I reciently got back into UO... I quit after 2002. I logged into my PvP Account and selected my best guy for pvp ( had this char since 1998).

He's a 7 x GM:

Healing
    Anatomy
    Fencing
    Swords
    Lumberjack
    Resist
    Tactics

Now I remember this layout used to be the Sh*T back in the day, but I'm not sure he's up to par for UO in 2008.

My question is what should I, or what would you do with this char? I have tons of soulstones, so I can transfer any skill in or out of this char.

What would you do?

2. Sir Kenga

Sir Kenga Guest

Choose 1 weapon skill, raise it to 120. Drop lumberjack. Get some chivalry 55-75. Add parry.

3. Papadom

Papadom Guest

Is the lumber jacking bonus no good anymore?

4. ZippyTwitch

ZippyTwitch Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I believe the lumberjack bonus still works for swords.

5. GFY

GFY Guest

Drop Lumberjacking unless you want to chop trees.

The Bushido, or Ninja skills, and chivalry more then make up for the damage bonus from lumberjacking. I played back in the day when you could 1 hit kill almost anyone with a lumberjack. Doesn't happen any more.

The name of the game, especially in pvp is about speed now not power. Max out your dex and hit your opponents quickly and often, use special moves at the right times, and heal as needed.

6. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Lumberjacking still works for Axe fighters only. But the damage bonus is minimal and not worth the 100 skill points. You get more valuable damage or defense boni by adding other skills.

Two weapon skills make no sense at all. Think about adding one or more of the skills like Parrying, Bushido, Chivalry, Ninjitsu etc.

7. Papadom

Papadom Guest

I read this at UOGuide
    "A character with Bushido as well as the Parrying skill will be able to block with a sword, though their defense chance with an actual Shield is lowered as they progress as a Samurai."

When they say block with a sword do they mean actual swords, or do they mean weapons classified as in the sword family? Also would that apply to a Kryss, even though it is in the fencing family? Does the weapon need to be one handed or two handed to bet the bush/parry bonus?

8. GFY

GFY Guest

What they really mean is weapon. Bushido gives you the parry ability without having to carry a shield. You get a 40% chance to parry with a 2 handed weapon and a 35% chance to parry with a 1 handed weapon.

You will lose the ability to parry with a shield however. You'll more then make up for the loss of any pluses on the shield by having the Bushido special moves.

9. Papadom

Papadom Guest

I think I will make him:

7 x GM

Healing
    Anatomy
    Resist
    Fencing
    Tactics
    Bushido
    Parry

Does anyone have any comments, (Good or Bad) on this template for PvP?

10. GFY

GFY Guest

It probably would have been good back in the day, but now... not so much.

GM anything is pretty mediocre now. You need 120 in at least your weapon skill to have any chance in PVP. Some players run around with 6 X 120's on their template and 7 X GM just doesn't keep up.

That being said a lot of players are getting by with some skills in the 80-90 range with as many 120's as they can fit. This would be a better template:

Healing - 90 use enhanced band aids ant it's almost as good as 100
    Anatomy - 100 for the damage bonus
    Resist - you'd be shocked how many good pvpers don't have resist! I like mine as close to 120 as possible. (I've been paralyze killed too often)
    Fencing - 120 or you won't be able to hit anyone in pvp.
    Tactics - 90 at least for both weapon special moves.
    Bushido - 120 for best chance ar perfection and damage bonuses
    Parry - 120 for best chance to block all those pvpers with 120 weapon skill.

You can drop resist and carry orange petals, to help resist poison, and a trapped box to break paralyze.

You could drop healing for chivalry and cast spells to heal and cure.

My best advise would be to read the boards and find a template that fits your play style. You have really good ninjas, necromancers, archers, and magicians to chose from as well.

11. Papadom

Papadom Guest

When you open a trapped box to break paralyze does it cause you damage? If so how much?

And how well do the orange pedals work?

I think I'll go 6 x GM

120 Healing
    120 Anatomy
    120 Fencing
    120 Tactics
    120 Bushido
    120 Parry

12. GFY

GFY Guest

Make a needle trapped box it should only do a little damage.

Petals work against lower level poisons. If you get deadly poisoned or worse you'll still be poisoned.

13. Papadom

Papadom Guest

Can I just buy one box and use it over and over, or does it need to be re-trapped by a tinker?

How do the petals work? Do they last for a period of time or do I need to eat more after every time I am poisoned?

14. Papadom

Papadom Guest

How about this template?

120 Fencing
    120 Bushido
    100 Tactics
    100 Parry
    100 Healing
    100 Anatomy
    80 Resist

15. GFY

GFY Guest

I would try dropping healing for chivalry. You can do really well with about 80. You get a bunch of buffs for your attacks, (they stack nicely with bushido) you can travel with the scared journey spell, (Paladin's recall) and you can heal and cure with chiv spells.

I would also push parry to 120 for maximum effect. Without healing you could drop anatomy so you can make up points if you want 120 resist. (IMHO resist is all or nothing. In between is a waist of points.)

16. Papadom

Papadom Guest

Can you cast heal and cure with chivalry while your swinging a weapon? or do you have to disarm first?

Also

What bonus do you get for having:

GM Fencing vs 120 Fencing

and

GM Bushido vs 120 Bushido

Can I just buy one box and use it over and over, or does it need to be re-trapped by a tinker?

How do the petals work? Do they last for a period of time or do I need to eat more after every time I am poisoned?

Thanks

17. Sir Kenga

Sir Kenga Guest

U don't have to disarm.

Huge difference, GM is nothing now.

Huge difference, i wouldn't advice any lower than 110.

Yes u can buy one box and use it over and over.

They last for some period of time, i'm not sure how long it is, let's say 5 minutes.