1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

PvP - Summary of the past few years

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Naisikras, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Naisikras

Naisikras Guest

IIRC I quit sometime after the AoS launch and with the talk of a classic shard about, it got me all hyped up on UO and figured I'd give it another shot.

Can anyone give me a quick summary of the past few years pvp? Are mages still king? Archers were a pain in the rear when I played, and dexers didn't exist.

2. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Mystic mages are king right now, just above regular mages.

Archers can be a pain in the ass if you dont have 60+ dci

some dexers, but limited

3. Naisikras

Naisikras Guest

So are mages still...

120 mage
    120 med
    120 eval
    120 resist
    120 wep skill

120 ( Mysticism??? Tactics? Scribe? Poison?)

What are common templates? Do they still use weapons? Do they use eval anat formula? One of my favorite faction templates used to be dropping weapon for anat and picking up healing as my 6th skill. Really nice suvivability.

What about dexers/archers? How do they look now?

120 Weaponskill
    120 Tactics
    120 anat
    120 heal
    120 resist

(last skill still bushido? Ninjitsu? Anything new?)

Also, around the time I had a respectable suit of all 60's resist w/ 100 lrc, and LMC and SDI capped for pvp. Is this still all thats needed?

How the hell would I fit in 60 DCI?

Soon as I get home from work today I'm gonna get to work on my character.

4. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

The template currently giving me fits is dexxer/tamers, and I rarely kill a good ninja because of smoke bombs and animal forms. I've adapted to mystics, that and I think they've been balanced a bit. They are waning as the current fotm, but they are pretty balanced now imo. Imbuing pretty much brought archers to heel. They are still good, but they are pretty balanced now, imo. I'd say overall pvp is as balanced as I've ever seen it.

5. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

The msot common "weap skill defense" use for mages these days is a Mage Weapon. similiar to the -0 mage weapon seen on a staff of the magi, but most are -20 magery (use jewels to get magery back to 120)

Most mages are
    120 mage
    120 eval
    120 resist
    100+ med
    skill
    skill
    skill

A mystic mage normally entails of

120 magery
    120 eval
    120 resist
    120 focus
    skill
    skill
    skill

some run med, but if you load up like insane on MR you dont need much med.

As for dci it is fairly simple now to work alot of dci into your suit, with imbued jewels, fey legs, 15dci mage weap, etc etc etc.

6. Naisikras

Naisikras Guest

Why take focus over med?

Also, do old mage templates still do well? Scribe? Nox?

7. Aibal

Aibal Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Because either focus or imbuing is necessary to maximize the potency of the mysticism spells.

8. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Focus is like eval to mysticism, and it gives a mr bonus, that is why some people do it. it is rough on mana usage though.

and yes, pure mages are still effective, hybrids are just a little more fun and sometimes better. Nox, nox isn't very good anymore because everyone carries cure pots.

9. Naisikras

Naisikras Guest

So scribe and mystic mages make up a large chunk of the mage population? Anything else? Necros still around? What about chiv mages?

10. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

No chiv mages since they lowered chiv to a 2/6 cap if you have over 70 magery.

Lots of necro mages still around.. But the increasing use of enchanted apples and cleansing winds (remove curses) make it slightly less effective.

Never underestimate the power of wither/wraith form though.

11. Sneaky Que

Sneaky Que Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Not sampires (who often forget about DP) and many warriors. Nox tact mage is number 1 vs dexers IMO, tact scribe for everything else.

12. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

on top of the 10 SDI with 100 inscribe you get 5 casting focus. so 1 in 20 times you will not get fizzled.

also, wrestling does not require tactics to use specials, all other skills do.

with scribe you also get 20 extra points. so you could lower your med a little and maybe pick up a little of something else. anyone have an idea there?

13. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

do you pvp.?

1. you mentioned sampires in a pvp discussion.
    2. nox tact mage would require losing to many mods on ur suit/skills, to even be effective as a mage, or a dexer.
    3. tact scribe? i can see that being effective in very few situations, again, it is a waste of skill pts.

14. puni666

puni666 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Pvp the last time I played was either Exp.. FS (dismount) all kill, or Spell Plague, MA, Eagle Strike rinse and repeat. Well that's the mages anyways.

Dexers were Disarm, bleed, Nerve strike, deathstrike, nerve strike, nerve strike, nerve strike. or remove nerve strike/deathstrike and put in running shots.

15. Capt.E

Capt.E Guest

well I just quit so here is my summary:

Make sure you have the best in speeder proggies cause everyone is running them.

If your thinkin' of doing a Mage, mystic Mage is the way to go.

Most idiots are running archers, ninjit archers on my shard.

Find out what kind of bug you want to exploit and join a pvp guild, they love that crap.

Happy hunting!

16. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Vicious is the sight but deepness is the beauty
    What you once feared now makes you free

17. Violence

Violence Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Re: PvP -

They did say they already have certain players' Voodoo Dolls..? :p Jokes aside I didn't see any mention of cheating in the UOHOC and I have noticed people still speed hacking.

Mystic mages already got toned down a bit.

...Which leads to me saying that archery is definitely the FOTY, not just FOTM from what I see in the game.. And you wouldn't need to exploit anything if you run an archer.. Or an XFielder. Just be persistent. ;P

Just generally remember : Archery + Speed Hack = WIN

18. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Well the issue is "IF" they fix it then whats the new QQ'n going to be about. Peeps with 5 plus year old computers with lower connection speeeds versus people with new to 3 year old computers with high end connection speed will still have the same arguments. When the game isnt fun anymore people move on plain and simple. I pvp still but I dont look for it. They camp my house or I run across them in fel I fight. I die and I win so no complaining here. If UO Cant give me fun pvp that I'm looking for I play warhammer online. Always a good fight or a scenario I can play.