1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Q&A About the SA Client

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Kat, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

- If we use this client, are we forced to see KR graphics?

- Is there anything similar [and I mean very similar] to UOA and UOAM incorporated into the SA client?

I would check for myself, but I'm not ready to try it in the buggy, incomplete stages. A big part of me really wants to give it a chance and like it, but I know how I am and if I am not satisfied with it after the first few times, I will NEVER like it. So I wait. =/

2. Fanta(Siege)

Fanta(Siege) Guest

Yea i think the 3d type graphics are the only thing atm. But yea for now you are better off not downloading it less you just want to see what its like...

3. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Most of the graphics look like 2D, it feels like UO however your char is not your good old 2D char but I think it's ok.

As far I remember from my testing, you can see guildmembers on the map but it won't make it up for uoam. They try to make it up for uoa.

They try to take the best from "2D and from KR and I feel thay are doing well.

Try it, you may love it

4. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

Kat just download it, its better then KR graphics wise and the macro's arent that bad to set up its not uoa but its getting better

5. Fanta(Siege)

Fanta(Siege) Guest

yes i like most of it other then alot of the things like the backpack having the little spots for items i hate its not like having an open backpack to put things wherever... I just got murdered testing out the client :bored:

6. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Thanks for answering some questions for me. I'll eventually try it, but am going to wait. I don't want to get frustrated with bugs and its early shortcomings. I really want to wait until its at a stage where I can give it a fair chance! :)

7. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

i wish they would bring 3d back that was my fav

8. randomstring

randomstring Guest

What's the running like? When I tried KR it was so jerky, especially when on foot, I never knew where my character was going to stop when I stopped trying to make him run...

9. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Ya some times trying something too soon can ruin it for ya

10. Fanta(Siege)

Fanta(Siege) Guest

to me running seems pretty screwed up at the moment... :wall:

11. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Done downloading, not without bugs but my castle look like my castle. Need to find a new helmet, or my old skulcap and the client do not like my dress.
    [​IMG]

12. randomstring

randomstring Guest

Thanks Freja, looks pretty similar to KR client. How's the zooming in/out on your character feeling?

13. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Oh god, no... I cannot believe they didn't re-do those hiddeously, long-looking mounts.It's things like this that make me not even want to bother. Some things just don't look right and that makes it very unappealing to me. :wall:

Interface changes, I can accept and want to try out, bad KR graphics, no. I'm almost sorry I started this thread. :(

14. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I'll put in my 2 cents whenever it finishes downloading! Only 4 hours later, I'm at 90%! LOL :wall: :wall: :wall: I just want the graphics to be better. That was the reason I never gave KR a chance.

15. FrejaSP

Sure it's not perfect yet and there is still some KR graphics that need to be fixed

16. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

97% for me!!! only 3 more hours left :sad4:

17. Alexi

Alexi Guest

Anyone else having this problem... the terrain changes colour (and generally looks pretty weird) for me? e.g. on deceit island, the snow goes purple every so often (and stays like it for a prolonged period), and in mountainous areas I can't see the path between mountains. Is this intentional?

18. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I've been using KR exclusively for several months and in comparison, I have to say that the new SA client is far more like the 2d in terms of graphics and interface.

They've fixed several major problems we had with the KR client. BUT - you have to remember this SA client is still in Beta, it's not finished. If you don't like something, you have to log it so they know.

For those of you who say it's jerky, go into your user settings on the interface and change your frames per second from 30 to 60. . .

19. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Alexi - I would send a bug report on that and any other things that seem buggy. They typically sort bug reports into groups, so they'll have the ability to tell if others are having the same issue.

20. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I downloaded it took about 1 hour 50 minutes to patch. I don't think downloading is the reason it so slow, it take a long time to apply the patches. Movement is very fast and not laggy like KR. The colors seem to be messed up.

21. Alexi

Alexi Guest

I have a problem with colours that I want to show people... Are we allowed to post pictures of the client? I guess I can't from SA due to the beta agreement, but I can from KR (which has exactly the same problem for me)?

22. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

AS it's in open beta, you can post pictures of the client.

You might want to do that in the SA Client Beta forum though. It sounds like a problem with your graphics settings or your card. What video card do you have?

23. FrejaSP

Any pictures from normal shards with the SA client is fine, any pictur from the SA test shard, where you risk to post SA consent is not wise to post.

24. Alexi

Alexi Guest

I went ahead and made pics from the KR client anyway -- the problem is the same in both. I'll post the SA pics to the SA forums, but I'll try to chase down the problem if it's my graphics card.

The card is a ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro.

So ice appears purple in some screens, and then the regular blue sometimes too -- see pics.

Attached Files:

25. Rykus

Rykus Guest

First thoughts:

Is there no way to have the legacy backpack? I set the legacy containers, which are SO much better than in KR, but I see no legacy backpack option.

The mounts need work, period. I love my red warhorse, and have no desire to ride a mount with bright colors all over it, while the mount itself looks so pale, and elongated.. bleh..

I can't seem to find a way to make the stats window smaller. I like to run with the paperdoll open on the right, my backpack below that, then the stats open below that. I'm running at 1920x1080 resolution, and this appears to be impossible.

Running on a mount is smooth for a few seconds, then a brief pause, repeat. I know my system is not the issue, as I can play all the latest 3D games at high, or ultra-high settings, and get way better than 30fps out of them. Running a 3.5ghz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, and a 9600 512mb vid card. I set UOSA to 60fps, but this did not affect the pauses while running.

The few monsters I've seen need some art work still, but that's just a polish thing, so I can wait on that.

Overall I am far more impressed with this client than I was with KR. I don't feel like the isometric perspective is inconsistent like it was in KR, which just killed the immersion for me, among other things. Over time I may actually prefer this client over the 2D one, as long as they address the things above. There seems to be much to like in this client, and I am happy to see that they've come this far, discarded much of what I hated about KR, and kept a good amount of the 2D client art, particularly the objects, and legacy containers. I give it a 7 out of 10 in it's current state, and hope it makes it to a 10/10 eventually.

26. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Down loaded it yesterday while I was at work. I logged in with my sadly unused faction thief... I found my self deep in dangerous territory... Right next to a shadow lord. No macros set... No clue... I inadvertently broke stealth and try to evade the hostiles. I was unable to evade Puffy. *tips hat*

I am off tomorrow. So I will give it a go this eve and tomorrow. There is a lot of good info out there... and a lot of opinions... See Uhall and the new S.A. client forum.

I will let you know my first impressions tomorrow eve. Thank goodness I have three screens and two computers. I can do a lot of multi tasking.

Please note... ChrissayEAMythic Posted this on Uhall. I may have Video card issues. Nvidia GeForce FX 5500... Who knew? I did max out my memory on this poor old comp at 2 gig....

Anyway, Chrissay's post:

Currently the system requirements are:

Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista
    CPU: Intel® Pentium™ III 1000 MHz or AMD® Athlon™ 1000 MHz
    RAM: 512 MB or more
    Video: 64 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 3 class card or newer, ATI® Radeon™ 9700 or newer.
    Exceptions: (the following cards are not supported) Geforce™ FX Series, Geforce4™ MX Series, GeForce™ PCX 5900, GeForce™ 6200 Series, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000, ATI® Radeon™ X300 Series, ATI® Radeon™ X1300 LE HyperMemory-32
    DirectX® 9.0c and latest video drivers
    Sound: Card capable of supporting DirectX 9.0
    Hard Drive: 4.0 GB available space
    Internet Connection: 56k or better

The recommended specs:

Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1800 MHz or AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1000MHz
    RAM: 1024 MB or more
    Video: 128 MB 3D graphics card, NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6600 class card or above , ATI® Radeon™ x1500 or above
    DirectX® 9.0c and latest video drivers
    Sound: Card capable of supporting DirectX 9.0
    Hard Drive: 8.0 GB available space
    Internet Connection: Cable or DSL Connection or better

Please Note these can change at any time since this is still in beta

Chrissay "Adida" Zeeman Facebook
    UO's Facebook page

27. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

28. Petra Fyde

Kelmo, my video card isn't supported either, and it's way older than yours. In reality it means I don't see some colours, like my frostwood arcane circle on Europa is default red in SA. I can live with that.
    I went hunting Tsuki wolves on Europa with my GD. I was moving fast enough that I was able to peace a wolf that spawned right under my feet before it targeted me.
    Sys specs. AMD Athlon XP 1700 (1400mhz) 640MB ram, GeForce 4 MX 420

29. Patty Pickaxe

Well, I have messed with it a little bit. I am forcing myself to spend a little time on it. I like the zoom in zoom out feature. Thanks to Petra I figured out how to place my skills/spells icons on my screen. I am having trouble setting my macros. I set my backpack to legacy, but all I could see was an empty backpack. I sent in a bug report. The little Tip Bar that opens up when you log in is helpful, I would suggest anyone new to the client take some time to read it. Although, it just hasn't helped me set macros.

Here is a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

I am wearing a shirt, however my paperdoll doesn't show it.

30. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Make SURE you send in bug reports on things that don't go correctly, like Patty's shirt, we can't have her running around topless, that's not proper :p

What macro are you trying to make?

Try the guide on www.spellweave.com

31. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

It would be OK with me...

32. Patty Pickaxe

I tried to make a bank macro. I got as far as placing the "speak" icon and typing "Bank Stable Guards. After that, I couldn't figure out how to set the keys (I always use alt-c). Then I wanted to make one for greater cure, but I couldn't find an icon that related to spells. I saw a "last spell", but I don't want that... right?

33. Petra Fyde

after you hit 'ok' for the 'say' macro there's a option to set the key.
    For spells, drag them from the spell book, for skills drag from skills list.
    For greater heal I didn't bother with a macro, I just dragged the spell to the hot bar and set it to 'target - self' or if you'd rather 'target - cursor'

34. Patty Pickaxe

*bonks kelmo on the head with the val hammer. AGAIN.*

Petra- thank you. I will try that.

35. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Ok Bank is easy:

1: move the "say" action into the macro
    2: type your text
    3: name your macro
    4: assign it an icon
    5: click ok

Open the macros and drag the icon for your bank macro to a hotbar
    From there you can either just click on it to use it or assign it a keystroke

For the Spells, you need to open your spell book and drag the icon for the spell to the macro creator, or drag the spell icon to your hot bar and then right click to choose assign hotkey

edit: Petra beat me, typed hers in while I was typing mine. . . :)