1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

NEWS QA about to begin

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Storm, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

2. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Storm perhaps you can give Bonnie the questions and requests that didint get asked so perhaps when she puts out a producers letter next time she can adress them.. or perhaps a answer through Petra.

3. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

All I'm getting is the same 35 second clip from earlier?

4. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

It's over now.

5. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

we are going to work on something..maybe these will be added to questions sent in ? I will get with petra ...this Is why the thread was locked so we can preserve it!

6. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

If only we lived in an age of technology where moving pictures can be recorded and kept in perpetuity on the internet for all to see...

Alstadt and Spiritless like this.
  7. SlobberKnocker

SlobberKnocker Slightly Crazed

is anyone going to sum up what was said. i saw the Q&A but missed the first part

8. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

this is going to take a few days we have to get a copy of the live feed first and then we are going to get it transcribed...or at least what is audible ..Thanks Tia;-)

9. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

I will be copying all the questions down and handing over to petra to send in..

10. SlobberKnocker

SlobberKnocker Slightly Crazed

i dont need a transcription, just a quick gloss over the high points. i heard the part about the castle grass being able to be customized and the land and snow tiles which sounded way cool.

CovenantX likes this.
  11. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Well it was an awful lot to take in, so I wouldn't expect clear answers for a while... but my understanding of the Castle issue was that it's separate from the Tiles. They just planned to make the grass accept Lock Downs rather than be customizable. Someone earlier did pitch an idea for Castle/Tower customization that they really liked but the sound was too bad for me to be certain of the details. The Snow and Grass tiles sounded like either an add on to house customization or drops like the Lava Tiles instead...

12. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Can anyone summarize the big points? I've got visitors and could not listen to any of the stream. What did they announce???

13. Cirno

Cirno Purple Pony Princess
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

The things that got answered were all across the board, so it's not really something that can just be summarised easily :(
    My attention was between the in-game party, keeping the stream running, watching the town hall stream and keeping up with the chatter. But a few things that stuck in my mind are:

They liked the idea of costumes having their own slot in the inventory, rather than being held as a weapon.
    City invasions get old, so they're not really into the idea of having them as anything but organised events.
    Mesanna wants to know what sort of wearables you'd like to see in-game.
    The high-res art is happening, example slides were shown, people ooh'd, they're coming to the internet.
    They're brainstorming tinkering having wider uses, like having footplates open doors, etc. (like minecraft with redstone).
    Some love for pets, but apparently not colour-wise.

Edit:
    More sea creatures.
    Image: http://i.imgur.com/qktBt.jpg
    Image: http://i.imgur.com/WPghU.jpg
    Image: http://i.imgur.com/fArDU.jpg
    Starting on either the 1st, 2nd or 6th of October (I have too many numbers in my head) the Halloween event will start. Something about dying in a graveyard turning you into a skeleton, and then if you kill the skeleton you can keep your bones.

#13 Cirno, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    Storm, CovenantX and Leather Lucy like this.
  14. Obsidian

Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Was there any big announcement? At the last town hall High Seas was announced. Anything on that order of magnitude or close?

15. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor

Depends on your perspective. imo.. nah, nothing like that. Biggest thing to me is that the Bug fix publish is only 2 publishes away :)

CovenantX likes this.
  16. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

They were showing off high resolution art, which looked quite nice. The bird lamp was amazing. Outside of a few wall tiles several publishes ago, this was the first time we got to see some high resolution stuff.

I hope proper videos are put up, the stream was cutting out on me a lot.

17. Obsidian

Does the high resolution art work apply to the legacy 2D client or only the SA client?

CovenantX likes this.
  18. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

any news on vet rewards?

19. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed

Honestly?
    The CC is so vintage, that they even can't increase the size of the game area (800x600) or put in some zoom. So what's the point of upgrading the art in CC?

#19 Thrakkar, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  20. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Thank you Storm for such excelent work on this... glad to hear the dev will look at what was given in question.

21. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah, why upgrade the art for the client a VAST MAJORITY of UO players use...

22. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

Because we need more people at the Dark Side :D

kelmo and Storm like this.
  23. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

All I will say is that I look forward to the transcription :)

Obsidian likes this.
  24. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed

You don't get it. That's not my opinion you quoted. That's what the devs said. They would have to rewrite the entire client to get that working. Now guess what? The completely rewritten client is called EC!

Mapper likes this.
  25. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

Thank you,I dont think most people understand how much work this takes. we fielded 100's of questions from in game (this means people actually playing ) from the boards and from the feed itself, we had to sort these ,look for dups,pull it all together make it look good and hope they looked at it..a lot of people think we can just call messana up and tell em what we think...not so..we worked hard on this. all of the staff . in the following days we will pull what we can together and make the best we can out of it . and get the questions you asked submitted but this will take us a few days so please give us a little time.
    Storm

Obsidian likes this.
  26. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

time this is a huge task be patient

27. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

No worries, I know it will not be an easy task so I'm not expecting it anytime soon, I'm just looking forward to it. I'm in no huge rush to read it as I got my own stuff to work on in the meantime. :)

28. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I quoted you saying whats the point of upgrading the CC art IN RESPONSE to you replying to a guy asking about ART not PLAY WINDOW SIZE. Upgraded art and play window size are 2 completely different issues.

29. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I tried to transcript something once...
    Thanks for those that do that for me now.. and take your time.

Viper09 likes this.
  30. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed

Ok, if you do not increase the game area size or implement a zoom feature, then what's the point of using art with higher resolution? The CC art is already as crispy and detailed as it can get...o_O

31. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Dude some people refuse to use electricity because it goes against their beliefs.. That is totally cool.. your beliefs are your own.. BUT. I have to agree with Thrakkar here.. if you choose to stay with the CC you choose to do without zoom, macros, advanced chat, etc... Oh, and Hi Res art....

32. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Image resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Game area size and pixel resolution are 2 completely different things. Game window size is like looking through a porthole in a ship or a sliding glass door. Resolution is someone with coke bottle glasses looking at a screen with the glasses on or off. From the question you are referring to "There are draw issues associated with the world building when increasing the size of the client window in the 2D/Classic client." speaks to the game window size.
    The armored boura, Exodus model and the sheep all look higher res, not sure if they actually are though.

To answer the original question though Grimm stated that there was no high rez art update for the CC after the high rez sheep that bled over from the EC many months ago.

33. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Storm Take your time and do a good job is all I ask. I'd perfer accuracy rather then speed. My esteemed fellow players will just have to put a hand on their tush and hold on.
    Patience is a virtue.... For the Gods of UO sake please try to be virtueous so Storm can do it right the first time. (Aimed at others who are inclined to rant)

34. swroberts

swroberts Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I was a die hard cc client guy until a few weeks ago. Forced myself to use the EC with Pinco's ui...

Besides the Zoom, Targeting, looting, map, party tracking on the map, bag organization, and looks damm cooler...the dress feature is irreplaceable. My Mage now has 3 suits...resists suit, super mana regen suit, and high SDI suit, which changes out in a second. Give it 2 weeks, and you will never look back.

CC is only good for scripters, and the sooner it's gone the sooner rail miners go away:eek:

The only downside so far, is that it is a ***** on laptops(where I do most of my play)....Temp sometimes gets screaming which slows down the graphics...Laptop cooler is on it's way so we will see if it helps.

35. silent

silent Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Agree with above. It does grow on you...

36. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

storm is not doing the transcript :) someone else is..

37. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed

No matter, what you are trying to tell me, but the maximum resolution of the game area/window is 800x600. There is no arguing over that.

Get InsideUO, take a look at the art. Every pixel in such a image is displayed. Not stretched, not shrinked. 1:1 on your screen. Why? Because the original art has been developed for exactly that resolution.
    Now if they would add some high-res art, there wouldn't be enough pixels to display, because i.e. floor tiles would be too big. So they would have to scale it, to display it properly. So what's the point of putting in higher-res art, if you would have to downsize it again? (Besides it probably would look crappier, when rendered down on the fly).

Yes, the armoured boura or the Exodus look different, but that's just because another artist has created these images. That these might look more high res is just individual perception. Again, take a look at InsideUO, you'll find that there too exactly one pixel of the image occupies exactly one pixel on your screen.

38. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I am an EC-only user, but find this statement a bit short-sighted... You don't think the EC can be scripted? It's not scripted for the same reason Mac's don't have a lot of viruses...

Besides, if they wanted to, EA could borrow some brilliant anti-scripting measures that freeshards have used that have been surprisingly effective.. They just choose not to.

In any event, looking forward to the transcripts or any videos of the celebration that can be put up!

#38 Coldren, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012