1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Question About Magic Pet Healing

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by TheDrAJ, Apr 13, 2015.

1. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

So some times I can not get close to my pet to use vet - so I was thinking about
    1) Adding magery and using greater heal
    or
    2) Using Spellweaving (im at 120 and can get a 6 focus)
    or
    3) Mysticism and focus
    or
    4) Chiv (I have max karma)

I find no info on how much each heals - any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Sir AJ

2. drcossack

drcossack Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If you can fit it (which should be easy), Mysticism, IMO. 103.5 Taming/120 Lore gives you max control chance for a greater, and for Vet, you only need 110 with enhanced bandies. That's 334 skill points, Myst/Focus will be 574, and you only need enough Magery to recall (or, since you're already @ 120 weaving, use A LOT of recall scrolls/charges), leaving you free to put enough spellweaving on your temp to get guaranteed casts of Gift of Renewal and Arcane Empowerment.

3. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed

Thanks - I'll give that some thought!

4. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

Mystic tamer - never tried it
    1. What's the advantage over EI and inscription with high magery?
    2. How do you keep the pet healed when you can't get close to the pet?

5. Marisa Kirisame

Marisa Kirisame Seasoned Veteran

Mystic iunno, should try later (very later). As for GoR, I think these giantic (6 focus) heals through any poison etc., auto-cure are a clear advantage. Lasts longer than its cd meaning your pet is always under the effect.

6. drcossack

drcossack Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

1) Greater Heal is magery dependent, not Eval. Pretty sure scribe has no bearing on it either.
    2) Cleansing Winds. However, it's a half second slower than a GHeal (1.25 for GHeal, 1.75 for Cleansing), which is why I also suggested Spellweaving to go with it. Gift of Renewal will heal for MUCH more over its duration with a 6 Focus.

7. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

I mean what's the advantage in general of mysticism and focus vs EI and inscription when it comes to damage, since a tamer can't use rising colossus - trying to visualize how the mystic tamer template would work?

8. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed

Problem with spellweaving is the cooldown on Gift of renewal.
    And I agree that a lot of Myst is wasted and it takes two skills to do much.
    That is why I was thinking of chiv with 4/6 and highest karma.
    Someone said that karma was not as important now that skill determined the amount healed - anyone know a good reference about this change?

9. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

I also had not heard that chivalry healing depended only on skill, seems karma still a big factor on my characters - correct me if I'm wrong

10. Marisa Kirisame

Magery, eval and scribe have little pvm viability these days except maybe EQ as for the same manacost there are other skill spells that do more damage there. However, magery buffs/debuffs deserve a note, as well as para spell. It is also a bit more pvp viable. Spellweaving has WoD as the ultimate lotsa hp monster killer with its direct damage, GoR as some uber-heals-cure (at 6 focus obviously) and some other nice things. There also is necro, that has little heals but has wither for champ spawns, evil omen that helps with bosses, helps poisoning pets, helps when you WoD, transforms help standing inside your pet, regain mana and hp, stealth around etc., you can raise dead that aid your pet in dealing damage. For mystic soothing winds sound great, spell trigger, healing stone, stone form to keep yourself alive and some nice damaging spells, however summons make mystic a bit weaker tamer (they're outclassed by a good trained pet), and therefore mysticism loses a little bit of it's potential for a tamer, who has an access to a better option.

11. Lord GOD(GOD)

Lord GOD(GOD) Lore Keeper

Sorry but that's not true in the slightest. Magery can output greater damage than any of the other spell schools, including a fully enhanced WOD. It also has more damage types than the other spell schools meaning greater viability in targeting the weakest resist of the opponent.

To the OP, you'd want Magery 100%... it has the better range/cast time/least skill points needed, you need it anyway for melee defense, you also get Arch Cure, Teleport, Invis, Mindblast, fields and a bunch of other useful stuff.

12. Marisa Kirisame

The opness of wod lies in the direct dmg that ignores armor. However, magery sure is more useful in different effects. I do not agree it can dish out more damage per manacost than the other schools (in pvm ofc). To deal more than ten points eval is needed except for mind blast, eq is capped at 100 dmg, higher circle spells can deal some damage if you match for the lowest resist but for the same cost other magic skills have spells that deal much more damage or in a more useful way - such as area effect of wither or direct damage of wod. For magic poisoning though magery is the only way to go.

#12 Marisa Kirisame, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  13. Herman

Herman Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

It is still karma UO giude says 39 hp at max karma for greater heal to heal 39 hp you need about 85 magery

But chivalry curing and remove curse is skill based

The biggest problem i see with chivalry is the range only 2 tiles

If you have a realy tight template and only have 50-60 skill points to spare or if you have problem with mortal then chivalry might be better option

TheDrAJ likes this.
  14. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed

I had forgotten about the 2 tile limit. Thanks!

15. cdharr68

cdharr68 Visitor

what is your tamer template right now AJ?

16. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed

Since I play on Siege I have skills stoned to change depending on what I am doing. I have been fighting monsters that do not allow me to stand close to my pet and heal with vet.
    My vet template is

120 Lore
    120 Taming
    120 vet
    120 resist
    100 hiding
    100 ninjitsu (for dog form to heal myself when needed and to get to places quickly using stealth)
    60 stealth (with +15 on rings or bracelets)

I was actually trying to use the same template with out the 120 vet for times when I can not stay close to my pet to heal.

17. Val'lyn De'ana

Val'lyn De'ana Seasoned Veteran

What is keeping you away from your pet when you are trying to heal? You do have stealth and hiding. Maybe drop the resist and add magery. Then you can invis yourself and stealth in without worry of agro.

-Val'lyn

cdharr68 likes this.
  18. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed

This is mainly for boss monsters that cast area effect spells (like the guy that arrives after a white net toss) where I can not use vet.

19. cdharr68

cdharr68 Visitor

I believe you play Siege like i do... im a fan of Spellweaving for a tamer... when you get high level focus 4-6 the gift of renewal is amazing... saves a ton of bandages and greater heals with magery are often enough coupled with gift of renewal. The problem is on Siege there are very few weavers that i know of... id love to add spellweaving to my template and would if i could find more weavers on Siege... do you know of any? maybe its my playing time and i miss them when they are on?

20. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed

Most people have Spellweaving on a stone so to get 4 other people to come to Brit with 100-120 is very hard. So most just ask for people with 0 skill to show up (and they stone their own skill to 0) to get a zero skill level 6 focus and then add back on skill from their stone. It is fairly easy to get 4 people depending on the time of day.

I have thought about SW (I have 120 stoned) but isn't there a cool down time on gift of renewal?

21. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I find even with 20 mana regen and 120 med I still run out of mana healing my GD at range when fighting bosses like this. My normal tactic is to set the GD on the Scalis then when it drops to about 15-20% health I will call it back and bandage heal to 100% and "all kill" to the boss again. This way I can save my mana for offensive spells and tank it along with my pet. I will throw is a few greater heals but mainly heal with vet.

22. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed

Can your pet make it back to you ?

23. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Sometimes it does seem to get stuck. If this is the case I will just run out of the way and use my pet ball or just logout and back in.

24. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed

ahh pet ball - yea I log out a lot!