1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Lumberjack and Elf

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by crazybard, Feb 5, 2009.

1. crazybard

crazybard Guest

Hi, I have a human GM lumberjack/tailor/bowcrafter/tinker/swordswoman

I recently came back to the game, and read that as an Elf I could have a better chance of getting better boards. If I do go Elf, are there downsides for my skills or resources? Thank you for your help

2. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

3. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

The only downside for an elf lumberjack is that their carrying capacity before becoming overloaded is significantly less than humans (who got a boost - elves use the old pre-ML capacity numbers), with both races now having 550-capacity Backpacks.

So you're more likely, should a monster or a Fel Red comes calling, to be stuck unable to move, from overloading yourself. This is especially true in Fel, given you get doubled resources from each swing (each swing will add 40 stone weight of logs to your pack).

4. crazybard

crazybard Guest

Thanks. That was helpful. I did the quest last night, and so far no big problem as I have a beetle who takes on most of the weight. Did not see too much difference and still no frostwood. Not sure if it really is worth it. Ill keep chopping and see.

5. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

The Elf-human difference is "number of swings" not in the location of better wood.

An elf will get 10 boards (20 in Fel) per swing, and get significantly (20%, IIRC) more swings on a tree than a human.

A human gets 11 boards (22 in Fel) per swing, and can carry about 70-75 stone more weight than an elf, before becoming overloaded.

For a tree that allows 15+ swings to a human, the elf will gather more colored resources.
    For a tree that gives about 9-14 swings, the two races will about break even.
    For a really crappy tree (8 or less swings before running out), it's likely that the human will get more colored boards, simply from the 10% extra board(s) per chop - but the only reason you'd frequent a tree like this is if it is currently putting out a high-value wood type.