1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

question to Devs about Pogo email

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Beastmaster, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

I just posted this in 'Ask the Devs'

2. Derium of ls

Derium of ls Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

this is the exact reason why I'm glad I haven't logged into my UO emails in years. because if they ever are stolen and I find no hack on my computer, I'll know exactly what happened. I'm not saying that this will lead to the loss of my accounts, but EA would have their hands full if they were the sole reason I lost them :gun:

3. Otis Firefly

Otis Firefly Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

got one of these myself today! not good

4. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I just looked in my uo file in my e mail account and found over 10 of my accounts names listed to a pogo e mail sent to me Im Pissed. They best have a good explanation for this. I loose any accounts and HEADS WILL ROLL!

5. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I don't stop getting them.. but I don't use those emails for anything but my accounts. And I almost never check them

6. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Pogo is tied into your user name, and password for uo. you want to play pogo you just use your uo user name and password. That is why you are recieving these emails from pogo with your user name in the subject line

7. Snakeman

Snakeman UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If this is the case, then something needs to be done & done quickly on changing this on EA/Pogo's end. Talk about stupidity, this takes the cake & candles :thumbdown: !!!

8. Lady Michelle

I play pogo using a account I created in 2004 to hold a house. I dont use that account for UO just pogo.
    any account that I have before 2004 I went and but the usernames in and passwords. I got this message
    Oops! Something's not quite right:
    * That screen name does not exist. If you are a new player, click 'Sign Up Now

9. Lady Michelle

I just checked my email I got 1 uo_ username mine has to have uo_ before my user name to log into pogo. Dang I thought I was save.
    But I went and did these 2 things so now I should not receive pogo email for that UO account name anymore.
    Privacy Policy | Legal Notices | Terms of Service | Unsubscribe
    © 2010 Electronic Arts Inc. All rights reserved. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Please know that at Pogo, we don't want to send you information you don't want to receive. If you no longer want us to contact you,please click here
    to be removed from our mailing list. You can also write to: Privacy Policy Administrator, Electronic Arts Inc., 209 Redwood Shores Parkway, Redwood City, CA 94065

10. Derium of ls

Stratics Veteran

I checked my emails for UO, haven't been in them in about 5 years. I had zero spam and nothing from pogo... they don't love me =(

11. Trevelyan

Trevelyan Guest

Unsubscribed from all EA communications years ago and pogo.

But knowing an account name, I don't know. Is it really that insecure? Forum usernames are used as our display names on the boards.

12. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

Some people are just VERY paranoid.

13. Cal_Mythic

Cal_Mythic Guest

I am not too certain on this really. UO and Pogo are on the same account base back end, so that may be the case where there is just a mail chain that takes those accounts into consideration.

Even being a Pogo player (Spades! I just play spades ...!!! And some monopoly ... ANYWAY!) ... I have never gotten a Pogo email, so not sure what you guys are doing to get that kind of love :)

If someone wants me to really look into it I will.

- c

14. Lady Michelle

I decide I want a new UO account I click on create acct. fill out the info made the user name lolipop4832 pw hihi435. that user name and pw are used for both UO and Pogo.
    Im going to take a guess here you signed up thru pogo, and not thru the UO website. I called my sister to see if she gets the pogo email. She said she never gotten a email from Pogo. she doesn't play UO.

15. Tazar

Tazar Guest

I get them regularly... for each UO account... I have never played pogo - and I do consider the e-mails to be a security breach.

I had a chance to beta another game recently and before I even logged into the game, I realized that my account name equaled the name displayed on their forum and I knew that 1/2 of my account security was already out... I sent them a feedback message detailing it - and then closed the account.

I think a change to use the registered name and not the account name would be great!

16. Derium of ls

Stratics Veteran

I use to get Pogo emails, but that was back when I played on there. and back then it was my pogo username they used. I still haven't recieved anything from pogo lately. time to stop checking those emails and let them gather dust again ;)

17. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

Cal,

I would not have posed the question if I didn't want a response.

The issue isn't the fact we get Pogo emails, but rather that our UO account name is written in plain text in the subject line. That should really concern you given the number of hacked accounts UO has had over the years. Our UO account names should never appear in an email like that.

18. Derium of ls

Stratics Veteran

as I said, I wouldn't mind as much, if it wasn't for how easy it is to request someones password. True I can put the blame on the person who's email can be taken via social engineering, but every person we lose from this game hurts us much more than any other game.

long story short, make requesting passwords/usernames much more difficult.

19. Lady Michelle

I still play pogo,
    Im getting email for my one active UO account that I do NOT play pogo with.
    Im not receiving email for my inactive uo account that I DO play pogo with.

20. Derium of ls

Stratics Veteran

okay, that is rather silly

21. Otis Firefly

Otis Firefly Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

dont play pogo, never bothered with pogo's, im canadian! once ate something called a pogo, but never played pogo...but im getting email from pogo! normally wouldnt care! but our sign in usernames being sent to our emails by pogo..is crazy and coming in as UO_whateveryoursigningnameis is an accident waiting to happen

22. Rumil of Lorain

Rumil of Lorain Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I went and changed all my accts to my work email, for the ones I just pay for but dont play I havent gotten anything in my email acct but for the one I do play I already had one when I logged in this morning,
    I had made sure I had not checked any boxes for anything, but I also remember this is the only acct that I had used for any beta that we have had

23. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Why does the email need to include any account name whatsoever? I'm not so bothered by the e-mail itself, just that it has the account name listed.

24. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

Cal? Where are you?

25. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

How many times do I have to say I do?