1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Question to Stratics Admins

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Jul 26, 2010.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Often, as players, we post threads about issues that we are somewhat interested, one way or the other, about Ultima Online and we would not mind to know that Developers read them and got to know what issues we, as players, might be concerned or interested about the game.

Sometimes official reps have the time to reply in threads but sometimes, we are left to wonder whether this or that thread was ever read by any of the Developers.

Would it be easily feasible to have threads show that they were read by a Developer whenever this happens ?

This way, at least, we would not be left wondering whether the Devs ever got to read a given thread we thought interesting for the game.

Yes, I know that there is the Ask a Dev Forum, but this is something different which would be for all threads.

Just a thought, not sure how feasible it could be.

2. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

While it seems like a good idea off the bat, its not a good idea at closer inspection. The devs shouldn't be held accountable for the threads they read for whatever reason, they might only be reading a specific post too. Then you'd have posters going "OMG, Mark read my post, but he's not responding, come out and respond!!! I demand it or I'll explode and go emo!!!"

3. Tazar

Tazar Guest

lol Too True.

There is also the case of - did the Dev hit the wrong link and now it looks like he read it - even though backed right out and did not actually read it?

Or the case of a Dev looking at a single post someone linked him to - without actually reading the thread?

Aside from all that, I don't think VBB can do it.

4. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Or worse...

Well, I KNOW someone at Bioware Mythic read my post, because it shows right here that they did, but they still haven't fixed what I (and because I think so, everyone else must too) consider to be the absolute worst issue in UO today!

EA Austin EARS Bioware Mythic Entertainment Origin, what's wrong with you!?!?!?!?!?

I'm with Lord Chaos on this... on the surface, a good idea. On the whole, not so much.

5. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

popps it is not feasible.

6. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

...why? So players will be even more furious because the dev didn't want to make a post?

7. Actually, VBB is written in PHP, so it is feasible. VBB does some tracking already, but I don't know if there is a feature like this available for it. A module could be written to track views; I have a PHP module to track views on my store website. However, I too think it would be a bad idea for the reasons already stated.

8. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

it's technically do-able: you can already see if a Dev is reading a thread if they aren't hidden (and probably logs it), it's just that the data is not presented to the public to be analyzed.

the reason why they will not do it is because it is big-brotherish and creepy and if they did it the Dev's would stop coming to this forum.

9. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I'm sorry, but in my book that's 'stalking'. Totally unacceptable.

10. What is wrong with stalking???? ;)

11. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

[​IMG]

12. Zalan

Zalan Babbling Loonie

Only if anonymous, & asking questions which Dev read my thread get a person auto banned!!!!! If it meets these two requirements I`m all for it :D

13. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah this sounds totally stalkery-ish. And imagine all the posts we'd get that would start out DEV PLZ READ THIS!!! I think if I were a dev I would have to register a regular name just to be able to read in peace.

14. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

NOTHING is acceptable in your book.

But hey, you know what's REALLY stalking? CCTV on every corner.

15. Petra Fyde

I can think of no surer way of driving the developers off the board.

16. I can.. Lets perform a stratics DoS attack. Flood their inbox! CHARGEEE!:lol:

17. Petra Fyde