1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Question????

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Monolith, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Monolith

Monolith Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Hello everyone,

Whats a good computer animation program? My daughter is wanting a good basic computer animation program and I have NO idea what is good and not.

I've been researching, but every software program says "theres is the best". My daughter is only 13 yrs old and is interested in animation.

Any Help????

Thanks.........also, I hope to see you all in the next few months. Looks like theres been some changes on the game.

2. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

depends on her desire does she want flash style or stream animation or drawing and picture type animation.... or modern cartoon animation.

3. Monolith

Monolith Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Hey Mo, she's interested in drawing and picture type animation. Like I said.....theres a lot of software out there and I have no idea which would be best for her.

4. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

http://animation.about.com/od/referencematerials/a/freesoftware.htm

I have used flash, 3d-max studio and something like silverlite

flash is more 2d and 3d-max is more making 3d wire frame objects and plating them with tiled images. then you can animate it how you want. I am very impressed with 3d-max but the problem is it is very expensive. If she is a student then you can get it with a student discount. I would say let her try it out and if she likes it then buy it.

flash is great to learn as everyone uses it and you can easily get a job just knowing flash by itself. so learning it will help in many ways for her future. flash you can easily do 2D animation or make simple games.

both are alot of fun and give confidence once you learn them.

Lorddog

5. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

oh and by the way GIMP is a very good free photo editer program very much like photoshop or fireworks.

Lorddog

6. Monolith

Monolith Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Thanks

7. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Did not know you had a daughter, definitely didnt think you were old enough to have a 13 yr old.

8. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

It is a great program with a lot of robust features, but has a steep learning curve (translate: might frustrate a 13 year old). There are a lot of references & tutorials for it though, some free, and some not. Some of the tutorials are very short and to the point, showing you how to do one cool thing. Those are a great way to start learning the capabilities.

My 13 year old nephew has been entertaining me with animated creations he has made using a combination of GIMP, Powerpoint, and some inexpensive animation tools I bought him from CoffeeCup and installed on a computer for him to use. If it gets him away from the Gameboy and such even a little while, it is worth it.

-Skylark