1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions from a returning player

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Obsidianwarlord, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Hey all, I used to play several years back. I quit I believe shortly after Age of Shadows release. After a tour of many other MMOs UO still remains one of my favorites.

I'm interested in giving UO a new start, but before I do I had a few questions about UO, and whether there are any reports of it being canceled? Some of the info I see makes it sound like it's a dying game ready to be canceled at any time.

Also, I'm interested in shard populations. Which shards have the highest and lowest populations. It might suck a little to login and start on a dead shard, heh.

Thx for any replies
  2. Babble

Babble Guest

Open a trial account and check it out for yourself?
    Atlantic is said to be the most populated shard.
  3. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

Oct 17, 2009
    rest assured when it is cancelled we will all find out at exactly the same time.

correct. but nothing official.

Atlantic is the only US shard with population.
  4. Lady Tia

Lady Tia Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

May 26, 2004
    Atlantic is the shard with the largest population.
  5. cdavbar

cdavbar Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Jan 11, 2009
    WoW are you related to forest gump?

To the OP:
    yes the population is smaller for sure but recently a lot of new players have come in.

Atlantic and GREAT LAKES are two very populated shards. the others have populations but it is dependent on time of day.

The game is not getting canceled now or in the near foreseeable future.
  6. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Oct 24, 2005
    I'm personally not worried that I'm about to loose a hobby. UO is plodding along fine imo!

Atlantic, Chessie and Great Lakes seem the busiest. Europa is the most populated European shard.
  7. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Feb 27, 2004
    Welcome back !!

As in regards to opening a trial account che check it out that is a possibility but keep in mind that trial accounts have some limitations. For example, among others, you will not be able to explore Ter Mur (the new Gargoyles land, the Abyss...), you will only be able to mine iron ore or regular wood, none of the special types and there is also some other limitations.

Personally, if I were you I would re-sub my old account or open a new one and get going at least for a month or 2 and then decide what to do.

As in regards to the most populated shards, Atlantic and Pacific seem to do quite well but there is also some other shards which have decent population size like Catskills, I think Great Lakes, not sure on the west coast.

As far as UO closing down I have heard no rumor about it. We recently received the High Seas Booster pack and we were just announced the release of a new Ship, The Britannian.
    Bugs are being fixed meaning, that there is continued support.

In 1997 many did not think the game would have lasted one year and we just celebrated its 13th birthday so.........
  8. Skrag

Skrag Visitor

May 13, 2008
    AFAIK the game is plodding along fine, with content in production and a Live Events team on the job. Play on Atlantic, it's the most populated by far.
  9. Atlantic is by far the most populated "American" shard. Chessie has a great "historic" community and very active EM's. Seige doesn't have a big population but it's citizen's are fiercely loyal. Check in at peak playing times for your location and see which shards have at least a medium population. That way you will know if the shard you choose will be populated when you would typically log-in. On Atlantic, Luna and Haven always seem to have a crowd.
    Just remember, having high population may mean waiting in line to do some things, a medium population may make it tougher to find a party to hunt with. If you like solo hunts, choose less populated shards and those good "hunting spots" will prolly be open.
    If ya like to party up then hit a high pop shard.
    There is no rule against having characters on more than one shard by the way.
    Just choose a shard that fits and have fun!
  10. Come to atlantic. The game has been dying for years and never dies. The population if fine. The game is good. Ill give you some gold to get going if you need it.