1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Raising Veterinary... any tricks?

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by Gellor, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Title is the short version.

Long story:
    I've got a crafter that I'd like to put vet/animal lore on to help rez pets in factions(my full blooded tamer isn't going into factions). My crafter has a pack beetle but no real useful skills.

So the question basically boils down, how do I raise my vet without killing myself or my beetle? Any suggestions?

2. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

If you want to train on your own, tame two pets and have them fight. Alternate vetting between the two, so they dont die. You will want pets that have decent hit points, so they dont die easily. You mihgt have to be in a guild for this to work, but I cannot remember.

You could also go hunting with your beetle. Take it easy and go kill bears, trolls or something comparable in skill to it and vet the beetle. If it gets in trouble, hop on it and ride away to safety.

Another way to train that I have had success in the past with is find a tamer that is going out hunting. Let them know you are trying to tame vet. Bring your own bandaids and help them vet their pet. I have yet to be turned down for offering to assist tsomeone in keeping their pet alive.

Stayin Alive,

BG

3. EnigmaMaitreya

EnigmaMaitreya Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I assume you have a full Tamer, bummer if it is on the same account other wise you could just tame a Cu or Reptalon or something and go drag a Shadow Ore Elemental to near the entrance and let the Vet'r get vet skills up on that. It goes pretty quicky if you have damage being done, a lot of bandaids and a means to apply them as fast as you can.

But let me think how a NON tamer is going to do this.

I don't know maybe get a pair of Swamp Dragons and get them to fighting as The BeeGee suggested.

4. Pfloyd

Pfloyd Colorblind Collector
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If you have a friend with a bonded GD or Cu get it killed. I remember the old days with healing and ressing someone, gains "seemed" to be better with higher hps/str. Res it over and over with them not accepting the res on their end.

5. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Will a fully trained Cu stay alive on a shadow elemental with "bad" healer?

Yes, I've got a full tamer on another account (my name sake with vet and the whole shebang :p )

6. Kri

Kri Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Typically yes (unless it's a very poor and untrained cu...)

7. Pfloyd

Pfloyd Colorblind Collector
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Fully trained and decent phys resist 60%+ is probably enough...the thing about shadow elems is they gain too of course and once you have a fully trained shadow then the cu has to be up there as well.

8. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I took my bonded pack beetle to the twisted wield and then got discod by the satyr, went out and back in, then had my beetle attack a shadow wisp and quickly stop. Got faster gains from being discod. Don't forget to bring the assload of bandages.

9. EnigmaMaitreya

Stratics Veteran

Yes that is the way to go, plane simple and repeatable until you hit the level of vet you want to be at.

You will have two healing the Cu, the Cu and your Vet'r.

10. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

All you'll need to do is find something that will do steady damage to your pet while you vet it. So I'd suggest something like telling the bug to kill a gaman, then have it stop/follow so it doesn't do damage to them - unless you want to skin them of course :D If that's not giving enough damage, attack more gaman. That should get you started off in a safe location and with no risk to your bug. If it does look dicey, say all stop and hop onto the bug and back off somewhere safe.

Or get someone to tame a swampie for you and then spar them together. Then as you heal both you'll get steady gains.

I'd actually try to get your bug to the point where it can fight mummies, then you'll be able to collect a steady supply of bandages as you train :D

Wenchy

11. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to kill three birds with one stone and do shadow elementals.

My tamer put an untrained Cuside on it and discorded the shadow to put it in proper skill range.
    My vet guy put his pack beetle on it and healed the Cuside.

End result, I get:
    - one trained cuside
    - one trained pack beetle
    - vet/animal lore on my faction crafter mule thing :p

12. EnigmaMaitreya

Stratics Veteran

Grats on your achievement.

It is good you mentioned that for everyone as I was thinking it should be brought up to peoples attention that for things to work properly the Mob must have the correct skill range, which is to the best of my knowledge +- 20 full Skill Levels.