1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[BUG] Random Occasional Severe Lag

Discussion in 'UO Enhanced Client Discussion' started by Llewen, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I'm having a problem where every now and again the client will start lagging when I start it up. It will take a long time to get to the log in screen, then anything I do in the client will be like I'm swimming through clay. The only fix when this happens is to reboot my computer - simply restarting the client doesn't do the trick.

2. Gilmour

Gilmour Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

if restarting the client don't work its most likely a background application or windows background tasks playing with you, i would suggest keeping an eye on system resources when/if it happens again.

ctrl + alt + delete
    task manager - processes/performance tabs

3. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

My cpu usage, memory usage, bandwidth usage and system temperatures are always visible to me thanks to the lcd screen on my G15 keyboard and LCDSirReal. When I am having this problem memory usage is normal, and cpu load as well, and I'm not noticing any other funky hardware issues, and I've got plenty of hard drive space on both of my drives and all the partitions. I've also checked the task manager and nothing in the list is tying up any exceptional amount of resources.

It's a mystery Charlie Brown. The only thing I can think of is something like the EC in Windows prefetch becomes corrupted, but I looked at that and it doesn't make any sense to me. Also if it was a prefetch issue you would think that rebooting wouldn't fix it.

4. Gilmour

Gilmour Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

keep an eye on harddrive usage also tho, EC depends alot on harddrive, also i have noticed the new generation of nvidia cards (gtx 2xx-3xx-4xx-5xx) may at times downclock to 2d mode when EC running, no idea if this can be your issue.

Try download this little standalone gpu monitoring app called GPU-Z (doesnt require install)

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1978/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.5.3.html

5. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor

I think I've finally found the culprit here. Restarting both of the Windows 7 audio related services seems to fix the problem (Windows Audio and Windows Endpoint Audio). I finally noticed that the Windows Audio Service was using 100% of one of my four cores, and that was the key. I'm running Windows 7 64 Professional.