1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

"Rare" Ilshenar treasure maps spawning again :(

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Trevelyan, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Trevelyan

Trevelyan Guest

A question that will either increase their value or totally destroy it: will treasure maps for Ilshenar really now be obtainable and - therefore - make all existing Ilshenar maps essentially identical?

These have been considered "rare" for years now, since they ceased to spawn around 8 or 9 years ago. If they will indeed spawn again after P67, I think it somewhat unfair that this had been known and in the works for a while now when it could have been announced say a week ago (before the rares festival took place and I spent a fair bit of gold on some I didn't have :D).

Given how long they have been non-obtainable, there was absolutely no indication that they would made available again and how many times various "rares" have been common-ised, I feel it is a bit of a let down; especially since there are a few other people out there who collect(ed) these too.

I'm hoping this is not the case but, if it is, hopefully it'll be confirmed sooner rather than later :)

2. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

This is the danger of dealing in rare items, one day they could become more common. I have a couple Ilshenar treasure maps myself but don't mind them becoming worthless.

They are revamping the whole treasure hunting system and enabling it on all facets. It isn't like they added it as a quest reward item which no one will ever care about or a spawning item in Doom.

3. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Pretty much what JC said. Just because it's rare NOW doesn't mean that they won't bring it back later on (or change how things work entirely).

I also have a few original Ilsh maps, but if it makes for a better overall system, it doesn't bother me what happens to them.

4. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sorry the new random t maps now send you to Ish, malas, and points between soo those ish maps are moot. "They giving us 30 days to do maps we got or then after the 30 they got to be reread too. Welcome to T hunting 101, Oh and by the way.... unless you know UO land real well and know the # off the top of your head, the Map books are useless now.

5. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

6. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I forsee the fishing and Thunt forum getting really busy as people less familiar with the landscape post 'where is this map please?' :D

7. Yen Sid

Yen Sid Guest

All I can say is use the EC, it is much much much easier to read the maps and find them on the world atlas.

8. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Not exactly useless. We know where all those points are... so now we have a nice shortcut to locations. How many other players have runes to random spots throughout Britannia? Though this won't help you in Tokuno, Malas or Ter Mur and certainly not in Ilshenar it is very nice in Britannia.

I use those spots for other things sometimes.

9. I can see how this would insult a rare collector. Maybe ask the devs to make the "original" Ilshenar treasure maps "Artifact Level 1" or "An ancient treasure map".

People can treasure hunt in Ilshenar, and you get to keep your rare item.

:pint:

10. Voluptuous

Voluptuous Seasoned Veteran

try owning a covered chair, tray and moulding board now...totally worth nothing .

11. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Oh I'm not saying the books are worthless period, I too use the books for general poping in for other reasons. But the unfermiliar t mapper who just worked up a new char will be utterly lost as to what book rune to use.
    We old timers who t hunt know the land very well and can even quote the book rune # by heart to fav places to go.
    And you cant mark runes in Ish. I hope this changes as its moot these days. There are areas they can make non markable but for the general being the rune marking should be open so hunting parties for the maps can all not have ot march the length of Ish to do one map.
    I do have a hunting book in the library for Tokuno so that should help give general recalling help.
    The mining caves book for Malas should prove well for Malas.
    I did start a Book set for Ter Mur on all the land hunting points so again that should help too.
    I do welcome the changes but I am concerned the guardians might be hard on the single thunter who goes it alone..... might want to call up a few friends on the trial digs.

12. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

The whole "rare items" thing is inherently unfair to someone. But that's life.

13. Trevelyan

Trevelyan Guest

*clicks "Like"*

14. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I guess I am not at all saddened by the the addition.

The boon to Treasure Hunting to me is worth the loss.

I have a few rares and all but I guess I don't measure my fun in game by how much old junk I have or my supposed worth.

I enjoy the content.

Is that bad?

Personally though I know I would be upset over losing say one of my homes or something like that but a few maps going from rare to new again and useful isn't going to make me cry.

15. Bobar

Bobar Babbling Loonie

In essence I agree with you and many things within the game end up being unfair to someone, just like R/L really.

The point here is it seems that people working on the game seem to know very little about the items in it. These issues could so easily be avoided by just a little familiarity with the game.

The devaluing of old 'rares' was avoided with the addition of 'replica' when a lot of items were reintroduced. A similar action could so easily be taken with T/Maps. All it takes is a little knowledge of the history of UO and everyone could be satisfied.

I happen to have 3 of the old Ilshenar maps and while I would not be best pleased if they lost their value, it isn't the worth I value them for but their rarity.

16. Aran

WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR GODDAMNED PIXELS BEING MULTIPLIED, YOU DON'T OWN THEM AND THEY DON'T MATTER.

Gah.

17. Bobar

Bobar Babbling Loonie

Well whilst you are as entitled to your opinion the same as everone else there is no need to be quite so rude about it.

I think it probable that a lot of people care. One of the main attractions of UO has always been that it enables everyone to enjoy the game in their own way.

A lot of players enjoy collecting and exhibiting rares - setting up museums etc - I think these people in particular care very much. They will have spent considerable time and effort within the game obtaining the cash to buy 'rare' items such as this.

18. Aran

Just because they enjoy something doesn't make them entitled to it being there forever just how they like it.

19. Bobar

Bobar Babbling Loonie

I think if you read the thread you will find nobody is arguing that they are entitled to things remaining the same forever.

What they are entitled to however is some thought being given to their playstyle when changes are made within the game. In particular when the changes could be made in a way which does not affect anyone.

20. Aran

No they're not.

21. slaveone

slaveone Guest

"Rares" in UO are a dime a dozen almost ALL of them and are IMHO pretty much a waste of money. It's been known for sometime now that the T-map system was getting a redo they didn't specifiy the specifics but common sense would have told most not to invest in Ilshenar maps before a major redo of T-map systems. Apparently your common sense is a little lacking. Just wait till they come out with some item that is easily obtainable that shoots out flamestrikes when double clicked in your bag. I bet you'll see some really funny whining posts then....

22. Mesanna

Mesanna UO Producer | Dark OverLady
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Hello everyone,

I need somone to message me that has an Ilshenar map please that I can look at please.

Mesanna

23. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable

An old rare map or the one of the new ones?

24. magicmule

magicmule Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Please change the cards in some way or remove them all together:|

25. Trevelyan

Trevelyan Guest

Wrong thread