1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Real skill vs Jeweled skill question.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by startle, Jul 27, 2012.

1. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

I know that there are some skills (such as the Bard Masteries) where your REAL skill level is checked. I am currently training a new spellcaster that will have both Magery and Mysticism and I have 120 Power Scrolls for both, which he has eaten. Do either of these skills require REAL skill beyond GM or can I get them to 100 and use jewels for the rest?

Also, are there any OTHER skills (besides the Bard Masteries) where REAL skill level is checked?

2. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

The answer to your question on Magery and Mysticism is no. There is no difference whether you use real skill or modified skill for these two.

That said, where did you hear that real skill mattered for Bard Masteries? I don't recall hearing that and it will certainly affect my template and suit plan for my budding disco-mystic-mage. Thx!

-OBSIDIAN-

3. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

I believe the mastery songs receive a bonus if there are additional bard skills above 100 real skill.

4. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

From the UOWiki:

5. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

The way I read that is that 100 real skill is what matters. Do you have any additional bonus with 120 real bard skill(s)?

6. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Also, are there any OTHER skills (besides the Bard Masteries) where REAL skill level is checked?
    tactics - your real skill level is checked for special moves
    necromancy - if you use +skill items in order to cast a form, you'll lose the benefit once you remove the +skill items

7. Mr. Smither1

Mr. Smither1 Seasoned Veteran

I heard that 120 real ninja gives you more regen in dog/cat form but I am not sure of that. I know you have to have a min amount of skill in stealth, a friend had a char with that 20 cloak/10 robe/30 on jewelry/20 on shadow dancer legs and he couldn't stealth till he had like 20 or 30 real skill.

8. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

When the masteries were introduced, I remember statements that only real skill would matter. My Tamer/Bard's suit would have been VERY different had that not been the case (not to mention the amount of real skill).

And it's both real weapon skill and real tactics that are checked by weapon special moves (UBWS allows you to use a different weapon skill for the check, but Mage weapon doesn't count).

#8 Basara, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  9. Mr. Smither1

Mr. Smither1 Seasoned Veteran

I get a message that I don't have enough skill on my sampire when I try to use some of the bushido spells when I am holding a ubws leafblade weapon on my swords sampire.

10. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

Bushido, but only with respect to using the lesser hiryu's.

and yes, bard masteries you need real skill to get the 'omphhh' out of them.
    otherwise they dont hit for very hard.... so you just get the base mods.
    but the normal bard skills you can jewel up for.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran Gilfane

In addition to tactics, the weaponskill you are using also needs to be real skill 70/90 for the weapon special to work.

12. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I tried using bard masteries and it wont let me until i gain the real skill first. I wonder if it matters for taming though.

#12 Redxpanda, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  13. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

It doesn't matter for taming. There are more than a few tamers that have both ring and bracelet that are +15's to taming and lore.

14. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

i think there are more then just a few twink tamers out there.

there was a time when 99% of the tamers out in the field where twink tamers.
    eat a skill token, slap on a +15 ring and watch with a taming talisman and your ready to hit the field and play.

15. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Theres taming talismans? I really need to start paying attention