1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Reason UO is dying...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by MatrixCubed, Dec 28, 2008.

1. MatrixCubed

MatrixCubed Guest

...is simple...the game hasn't been advertised in...oh...10 years? I went to half a dozen software stores this holiday season. I chatted up store clerks and friendly shoppers. Some hard core gamers that were in diapers or just a 'twinkle' when UO came out and some, well, even older than me. Surprisingly few ever even heard of UO and a few heard but never played...and one "that still around?" pretty much told me the story. One clerk "vaguely remembers" the game coming into the store a few years back, "2-3 copies" sold by phone.
    Funny, I still saw WoW games and banners at every store. The problem with UO is there are an extrodinary few people who know about it. Hell, if it weren't for some of your kids playing, the population would be smaller still. Hey, EA, run one UO ad during the Super Bowl and see what happens...I've paid enough in the past 10 years, you can afford it.

2. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah thats a huge part of it.... if you they did advertise at the super bowl or some big event people would be suprised how many people would join in. But it's doubtful thats gona happen...

3. Hef

Hef Guest

Hopefully with SA coming out they promote the hell out of it. Its probably UO's last hope. :(

4. K'torr

K'torr Guest

Agreed. If SA isn't a reasonably big hit, financial wise, they care about nothing else, I think UO will be shutting down not too long after.

There is just too much competent competition out there.

Assuming of course SA actually gets released. Despite assurances, they have a track record of big promises and delivering crap.

5. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Other than the second age and UO:R there been an expansion that wasn't crap?

6. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

I don't think UO will shut down it really doesnt take much from them to run it... with all their other games going its not to much its just gona die off slowly or if the new expansion doesnt work they'll probably end up selling it to someone who hopefully does advertise and change it the way its suppose to be.

7. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

As for Superbowl advertisements remember this guy?

[​IMG]

8. MatrixCubed

MatrixCubed Guest

I do! See? It really does work!

9. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

I don't think Pets.com lasted a year after that commercial aired

10. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

Fixt...

11. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

Why does one post about a game that they no longer play? Maybe I should log on the Ford Message Board and tell them their trucks suck and they should all buy GMCs.

12. GoodGuy

GoodGuy Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

seriously, UO is like crack for some of us lets just admit it. Crackheads think if you gave everybody just ONE chance to try some crack then they WOULD love it as much as we do.

The simple fact is, THIS GAME SUCKS, nobody gives a damn except for the people who enjoyed the best parts of it. But honestly, its hard to come in nowadays na understand like most siege players what it means to enjoy UO.

There are such better games out there, people need to just let UO die.

13. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

Did you work for ford?If not, then that would be dumb,if so,why wouldnt you?

BTW your comparison was horrible...fail...

14. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

QFT...btw uo died years ago SP's population speaks VOLUMES...

15. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

To nobody in particular...

What makes you believe advertising would increase UO's player base. The CEO of Blizzard stated that less than 1% of their new subscribers were a result of Television, Magazine, Online advertisements, and less than 5% were a result of a store presence.

MMO success always was, and always will be based on word of mouth. But, the funniest part is that people really believe that Mythic is going to continue to invest money in to UO when Warhammer Online already has a larger player base in less than 3 months of existence.

UO players (and this is anecdotal not an insult) are like nursing home patients. The producers are just hoping you'll die off first before they actually have to pull the plug.

16. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

EA is a multi-billion dollar corporation in the electronic games business. They sure don't get everything right in their products, but they do know how to market a product when they choose to do so. I hardly watch TV or listen to the radio and even I know their slogans for their sports console games.

If UO were marketed to the current generation of gamers the likely outcome is they would have a surge of subscribers acting on the marketing, who would soon be angry former subscribers when they saw the state the game is in circa 2008.

-Skylark

17. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

And a Happy New Year to you too!:spider:

18. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Too be honest, I am glad Mythic is maintaining it, much less selling it.

Good Lord... What a fanbase we are, we few...

19. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

I agree 100%. It's not like EA needs more units of Tiger Woods or Madden sold which probably generate more income in one day than the entire subscription revenue for a month of UO.

Hell.. EA has so little interest in the development of UO, that it outsourced it to Mythic.

20. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Acquiring Mythic to manage their online games was one of the best things EA has done in years for UO. Perhaps the best thing they have done since acquiring the franchise in the first place. Were it not for EA, we likely would not have UO.

21. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I am not sure the KR thing is on Mythic's shoulders. I think that was in motion before.

22. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Fair enough. However, had more attention been paid in the right areas, people like myself would be going on our 10th year of playing.. 11th if you count beta. Took some exposure to other games to realize how ignored certain play styles such as PvP are UO. 2 years in some cases to fix a single issue? In the games I've played in the past two years, fixes that are bugged in PvP are addressed inside of 2 weeks; sometimes by the next day. And Class balancing? Every single game update in other games, has class balancing adjustments based on feedback. Game updates which last less than an hour, and occur 3-8 times a month.. again, next day if they are an issue that is effecting everyone.

Mythic has bigger fish to fry, old friend. Not knocking them in any manner. But, they have priorities.. and believe me, when WAR has some sort of game breaking issue they're on top of it. But, when there is a game breaking issue in UO.. what is you average "stand by" time for a fix? Have they gotten it under two years yet? ;)

23. K'torr

K'torr Guest

It may not cost much to run, but the bottom line is, Is their return worth their investment. Sooner or later, that answer will be No. Even if they continue to make a profit, when that profit drops to a point where it's not worth their time and money, the plug will be pulled.

They are not going to continue supporting a game just for the people who play it. Just look at the state of the game now. Bad Customer support, bugs going unfixed or ignored, incompetent EM staff, minimal Dev staffing. It seems to me they are just waiting for it to die enough to wipe their hands of UO.

And just who would be willing to buy a game this messed up.

24. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

While it is profitable, it would be insane to drop it. In today's economy, that would be more than silly.

25. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

True enough. But, these are just assumptions that UO is profitable. With the number of servers currently live vs. the estimated number of subscriptions and absolutely no other source of revenue; I find it hard to believe that there is a profit.

And, having worked for a brokerage firm myself, I as a licensed broker wouldn't call dumping UO "insane". I'd call it a tax write off, thus increasing net worth for the following quarter.

26. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Of course they have , just look at how quick they addressed our siege bless issue .... .hm, nevermind.

27. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

annnnd its terribly dated and maphazard in its design approach.

28. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

It's clear EA/Mythic refers to UO as a cash cow investment, aka steady income. The reasons why they are adding the new expansion to SA are beyond me.. they most likely won't advertise in stores.. this expansion is for current users only. While most current players are die hards that will pay for the expansion, they won't have a return on the long term investment, just a short term boost.

Granted if UO is advertised or store-shelved at all I will change my mind, but it doesn't seem like there is a long term strategy for UO aside from short-term spending. My thoughts on this are already stated in Sprago's UHall thread so I won't pollute this further.

There are so many threads like this it makes a man want to cry that EA/Mythic isn't listening. (I'm not crying, just content that a game that I played from day #1 is a game I will play till day #ending).