1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Broadsword team is seeking alternative castle designs! Learn more and discuss here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Publish 97 is currently on TC1! They are currently focusing on the pet customization aspect of the pet revamp. Head to TC1 and send in your feedback or discuss here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Broadsword is hosting a 20th Anniversary Party for UO this September! Learn more here. Will you be there, Guest?
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A new State of Stratics is up. Check it out here!
    Dismiss Notice

Reforging - Redoing

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Mervyn, May 14, 2012.

1. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

It is unnecessary to now have the option to create runic pieces of armour/weapons by using the tool alone without reforging so can we get rid of this menu/option?

Also, why must we yet again have to visit an (inaccurate) external website to navigate our way through the reforging menu.

No wonder new players get confused and leave.....

sirion likes this.
  2. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Merv there are no new players. Or very very few, so few its not worth the effort to design stuff/web content for the few

3. Driven Insane

Agreed.

I always annoys me when information is not available within the game.

The Imbuing menu is straight forward. It tells you exactly what you need and what the results will be. The Reforging menu is crap, plain and simple.

sirion and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  4. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

little stuff like this is why we don't have new players, true story. It's lazy programming, "ah i can't be asked to code some text into the game, i'll just post in on stratics, jobs a gooden"

5. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

They like us to figure it out these things for ourself, its always been this way ever since i was a noob way back in 1999. I like the fact we have to share our findings with each other to find out what does what. The game is about discovery, it would be less fun if you were given all the facts by the devs

Rusko likes this.
  6. Driven Insane

What you call fun, I call frustrating.

Some discovery is ok, but when it comes to crafting complex multiple mod items. I want it spelled out exactly what I need to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Otherwise it becomes a long process of trial and error that only people with infinite time and resources can do. I personally don't/can't spend 3 hours on TC trying to figure out how to make a piece with the exact mods I need.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  7. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I agree with driven, there is enough to "discover", this just makes your brain melt through your nose.

8. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

As Merv pointed out, you dont have to spend hours figuring it out, others like myself will do the test center work and figure it out for you and post the details/results on a website. But to be fair, i only share my results over vent to my guild mates. But there are much nicer people out there who love to do the leg work and post their resutls here on stratic for you all you ponder over

9. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Stratics grew out of a need for information that was not provided in game. This was back in the 1990s and a few owners ago.

Like Winker said, it's always been this way.

10. Driven Insane

Imbuing's not that way, neither are most other crafting menus.

You click on the tool/use skill. The menu tells you exactly what you need to use to make the desired item.

Just saying.

11. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

I'm agreeing with you that it's bad design in-game, but there are so many things in-game that people have to research out-of-game.

Although I think Pinco has been adding information to his UI so that people have less reason to go out-of-game.

Mervyn likes this.
  12. LlamaOnDrugs

LlamaOnDrugs Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

New players will only have Pinco's UI of they look for it or are told about it. It is an incredibly good UI, no doubt, but EA should be doing this anyway!

Mervyn and Lord Frodo like this.
  13. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Lazy programmers? How about lazy posters who post messages full of bugs?

Alstadt likes this.
  14. NBG

NBG Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Um.... with ML recipies and val runics, you can still make high end weapons.....
    Even just using runic charges as normal making weapons, it is still a better solution than reforging and always chance to get higher intensity items than imbuing is able to offer.

The need is still there why change it?

G.v.P likes this.
  15. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

I think Pinco should be hired and his UI packaged with the EC.

16. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

People don't get paid to post messages. I know i should be, I'm working on it.

17. LlamaOnDrugs

LlamaOnDrugs Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Agreed.

18. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Sheesh, it was just a joke about Winker's page with the bug running around on it.

19. Sir Ophid of Yew

Sir Ophid of Yew Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

How do recipes help reforging?

20. Gorbs

Gorbs Sage
    Stratics Veteran

They don't. For example, you can make a leafblade of ease, but you cannot then reforge it.

21. Arrgh

Arrgh Sage
    Stratics Veteran

*Looks for a straw!*

22. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Hmm...I don't know. Generally speaking you're right, the gear heads will use 4-6 (or more) charges per base item then either enhance or imbue and then enhance rather than use those charges to make old armor. Then again, who really used low-end runics to the extent we do now? I mean, most of the base items are best used with low-end runics because high-end create too many mods, which makes imbuing impossible. If you want one or two mods, high-end runics are really better used the old way, IMO, so I don't know if they ought to lose that old functionality.

It sure is a grind, though. Everything is easier, which is nice, but there are more steps than ever. It's a constant collection process. Get the mini-spawn ingredients, get two-three powder of fort for each base item, create the right base items, use a spreadsheet to preplan mods, use a calculator to preplan intensities, re-forge base item, powder base item, enhance or imbue base item then enhance, dye item, insure item, repeat. I'm sure there are people who would rather just roll a barbed or val, especially since val can still make better weapons.

Driven Insane likes this.
  23. Driven Insane

Yeah I agree 100%.

It is nice that we can now make those perfect pieces/suits. But man is it a multi step process that can take hours, not even including collecting the resources.

24. Obsidian

Obsidian Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Supporter

I think it is us, the players, that bring complicated crafting upon ourselves. We chose to make the highest power items possible. Thus we find all of the tricks and methods to maximize every piece. If we had the "good enough" mindset then the process would be much simpler. But few want "good enough" equipment.

25. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Yes and no, it's a relationship. You can't overlook the Origin store, for example. Ever since they started to sell the item that makes enhancing 100% they've been pushing new content intended to attract those looking for an easier way to get things done through enhancements. I used over 300 runic charges to make one suit because of enhance fails. I could have paid a few bucks for an easier suit but I chose to do it the old fashioned way.

They could have easily added re-forging mods to imbuing to keep with the simple, ingredient based method, but they instead chose to improve BODs, which hold their own weight in grind requirements. Now the best method requires both the grind of BODs and the grind of imbuing. Previously you could choose one or the other, BODs or imbuing, and now, for the best stuff, you need to do both. Yes, that's where the "good enough" comes in, but that's generally how PvP and high-level PvM works. Too hard to pass up new mods like the eaters, splintering, and the new ranges, like -15 mage.

Speaking of -15 mage, that's a pretty interesting situation. It's not completely better than the bugged sword because you can't have the hit spell on a clean base version, but it saves you a talisman slot. It's incredibly hard--seemingly--to get a -15 clean. I'll probably never grind heartwood enough to get one so I guess I'm glad I have what I have, or in other words, that's my "good enough" moment--for now. :)

26. Gorbs

Gorbs Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I'm probably overlooking something, but is it correct to assume you are wanting a -15mw bokuto? If all you are wanting is a -15mw sword, couldn't you use copper runics and create 1-h metal swords?

G.v.P likes this.
  27. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Nope you're right on the money, good point. *buys some powder ;)*

I think I was locked onto thinking about a previous post by Obsidian which made me think about bokutos too much, lol.

But still seems rare to get a -15. I could be testing it wrong on TC1 though. I did get Self Repair 6 :eek: lol.

28. Obsidian

Obsidian Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Supporter

It takes a lot of real luck to get a clean -15 MW. I wanted a Bokuto but I have more runic hammers than runic saws so I actually gave up on the bokuto and just went with a -15 MW kryss. Maybe someday I'll re-do it but it is "good enough" for now. :)

29. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I still don't really understand how reforging works. At first i though you could add to weapons armor that you find/have but from what i can tell, you can only reforge items that have no mods on them (except normal bonuses) and you can only add 2-3 mods before it goes all cursed/brittle/irreparable

30. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

The target item has to be GM made and it can't be made with special materials like barbed leather or valorite ingots (dragon armor, unfortunately, won't work). Unlike imbuing, some results of re-forging are random. However, you get to choose, to an extent, whether the item is cursed/brittle/irreparable.

As an example, to turn an item into a -15 Mage Weapon you need a GM crafted weapon made with iron ingots or normal wood. Then you take a decent runic tool and apply Powerful Re-Forging as well as Grand Artifice, then Inspired Artifice, which will allow you to pick the mod "Exquisite / of Quality." Just those three options. If you choose Structural or some of the other ones before Grand Artifice, you'll end up with better mods but a few disadvantages as well.

The better the runic tool, the better your chances of higher mods like -15 Mage (original tables were -29 to -20). Most of the time you'll end up getting Self Repair, or Durability increase, and sometimes you'll get mods that have nothing to do with Exquisite / of Quality, which is the real annoying part. Some re-forge jobs seem easier, for example, applying an Eater value onto armor (Powerful, Grand/Inspired -> Mighty / of Vitality).

Once you have your re-forged item, you can then enhance, imbue, or imbue and then enhance. For the sake of a -15 mage weapon, you really don't have to enhance unless you use wood, in which case, most are using Bloodwood after they imbue in order to add HPR 2 and HLL (and if they aren't using the Origin store tool for 100% chance I'd be surprised). Using ore-based enhancements will not give you anything close to as beneficial.

Re-forging is rather flexible albeit random. You could take a basic item and apply Exquisite / of Quality just for extra resists. You could end up with a metal item, for example, that has over 20 fire resist, which you can then enhance with Valorite (4/0/3/3/3--doesn't add fire). There's a lot of interesting things you can do with re-forging.

31. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Oh wait, so you can imbue after reforging?

*Runs off to check this out*

32. Driven Insane

Yep!

I Reforge to get the mods I want, then enhance, then Imbue. Others Reforge, Imbue and then Enhance using those overpriced enhancing tools that guaruntee 100% chance when enhancing.

33. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I can see how those enhancing tools could be totally worth it. I can't imagine reforging and imbuing the exact mods i want on an item only to lose everything while enhancing. Now so much more makes sense.