1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Renowned mobs should no longer spawn in Ilshenar

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Old Man of UO, May 22, 2010.

1. This is a bug fix in the upcoming patch. To be honest, I haven't seen a Renowned mob in Ilshenar. But instead of preventing these from spawning, I would like to see some form of the Renowned in ALL the dungeons! I especially would like to have Renowned mobs in my favorite dungeon, Shame.

All of these older dungeons need a remake, and it seems to me this would be a great way to do that. The special drops would need to change, but I think this concept was one of the best new ideas when the Abyss was introduced.

2. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

There are renowned drakes near skeletal dragon.

3. Exactly what is lame? The idea, removing Renowned from Ilshenar, R Traveler's name?

4. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Removing the Renowned. It made the place slightly interesting again. Not like it even dropped artifacts.
    And 1 in 20 spawned as a Paragon, then it really gets fun :D
    Probably died about 20 times the first time I fought one of those, I think I left in disgust since it kept regenerating all its HP.

Anyway, while we're at it, can we remove all the other interesting monsters from Ilshenar? Champ spawn, Ancient Wyrms, Balrons and such.
    I love fighting mediocre and dull opponents!

Seriously though, why does each expansion's monsters have to be contained within the expansion's new areas?
    The older places could use some love too! :(

5. I spent 2-1/2 hours in the Lost Lands yesterday looking for two new swamp dragons to train. After that I walked around north to south, went into the Brit sewers south of Papua. During that time I didn't see a single other player.

Then I went to Shame just for a bit of reminiscing. From top to bottom there wasn't another single person.

Then I made my daily rounds through the Ilshenar Champ spawns, specifically the one west of Valor, to see who was working the spawns, and maybe find the perfect greater dragon. Again, not a single person was around.

Other than a person occasionally training skills, I rarely ever see anyone else in the old lands. Why bother, when as you point out that the new lands get interesting creatures to hunt, but the old lands and dungeons have mediocre and dull opponents. The code is already available to create the mini-spawns and Renowned, so why not make more uses of this?

If the Developers aren't going to add new and interesting PERMANENT content to the old lands and dungeons, save the server costs and just get rid of them.

6. Easy to answer that:

If the uber monsters spawn just any old where, then players can get the uber items just any old where, and they have no reason to purchase the new expansion.

Like I said before A+B=C gaming... rolleyes:

7. Heh... I see what you mean.

But, what I am asking for are NEW Renowned, basically renowned versions of the Earth Elementals, Renowned Blood and Poison Elementals for Shame, and such for each of the old dungeons. They don't have to spawn uber items, but perhaps some of the better artifacts and rarer set pieces that are already available.

After all, it's been what, 13 years since any new monsters were added to these dungeons. The Virtue items sparked interest for a month or two, but we need new interest else all that space is wasted.

8. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Dev Team to Players: "All your renowned are belong to us!"

9. Dryzzid of Atlantic

Dryzzid of Atlantic Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Gonna have to agree with the OP here... although I'd like the overhaul of the old lands to be on a much larger scale.

As the OP said, you can most likely walk around 90% of Trammel (and 99% of Fel) without seeing a single person. No one in the dungeons, no one in the towns.

Now, I'm not saying I have an answer to how to bring life back into the old lands. Ideally, it would be nice to see an expansion geared toward breathing new life into the old lands (and finishing long uncompleted ideas and systems, such as the Virtue system). However, I know that is most likely not going to happen as each new expansion has to introduce new things.

However, its just my personal opinion that if we see too many more facets, there will only be 5 people per facet.

My worthless two cents :)

10. Invalid

Invalid Guest

The Renown Skele Drag in the rat cave in Ilsh did drop artys. I got my Void Infused Kilt there.

11. AzSel

AzSel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I hunted there for a few days, got 8 demon bridle rings, 8 void kilts, 5 axe of abandons and 2 blade of battle. + tons of gems (whitepearl, fire gems etc)

12. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Right, i forgot to account for the fact that 1 in 50 drop rate is standard and i probably only killed 40 there. <---- for clarification that's not meant sarcastically.

13. Konge

Konge Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

But... Wouldn't that benefit buying the new expansion?

I mean, SA items require SA entitlement to use, don't they? So, if you get an SA item that's da ubah leet, but you don't have the expansion, wouldn't you be more inclined to get it since you already have the item just waiting for you to shill out 30 bucks? People spend more for less -_-

14. eekamouse

eekamouse Guest

The Renowned's in Islh do spawn the new artifacts.

A friend and I farmed the Skeletal Dragon for about an hour and it dropped two arties.

We did also fight a Renowned Paragon. Fun stuff.

15. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Yep, went out and killed 105 of them, got 4 artifacts. One of each of the ones Azsel mentioned. Seems those are the only 4 that drop. Too bad I don't need any of them.

the Paragons definitely keep you on your toes. 60 damage hits, all the magery *and* necro spells, 60 damage fire breath, reanimating the other dead ones as skeletal dragons, and to top it off they move at mounted speed.

... makes them rather tricky :D

16. Personally I'd LOVE to see them add things to the old lands...especially the Anti-Virtue dungeons. Yes, the Anti-Virtue artifacts were nice, but everyone has those already...and they weren't that good to begin with.

What I would do:

Since people are always complaining about not being about to get Spring Cleaning items...like the Sorcerer's Suit, the Scout Suit, etc...and imbuing has greatly reduced the value of those things, add Renowned and Paragon monsters to the original dungeons...preferably new versions of the old monsters...not the new monsters, that drop those things. You'd see those dungeons fill right up. Also, go ahead and just turn on ToT all the time...with all of the arties from both events.

Keeping this stuff 'rare' is not accomplishing anything, especially since ToT arties, like the Horselord or Stormgrip, are nothing compared to imbued items these days.

But that's just my opinion. I'd love to see a Paragon Renowned Ancient Wyrm in the bottom of Destard :thumbup1:

17. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

This reply says it all about the current UO players state of mind, and reminded me of a cartoon caption I saw in Playboy once when I was reading the articles. It showed two old men, sitting beside a fire in a large mansion. The walls were adorned with every 4 legged animal types mounted head. (deer/elk etc) The quote from one read "I remember when there used to be a lot of animals around here to hunt"...

Not sure of the relativity here, just made me think of it....carry on.

18. I understand the relavence of it...and well played :)

19. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Well to be honest that really wont solve much. People will get the artifacts, then move on. Consumables and resources are good because they have a continual use.
    But really? I just want some challenging fights. Take the Ophidian Swarms in T2A for instance, they're lots of fun, if 1 in 20 had some odd semi-rare ingredient they'd have purpose again. Or they could just put in some use for the snake skins and rations that are still spawning.

Sanctuary, for example is challenging, slightly rewarding too with the strongbox quest.
    Perhaps if the Abcess Tail quest gave a strongbox instead of a regular loot bag it'd be worth doing, same with that one that takes 10 hydra scales and a thrasher tail, or the coil fang quest could give a large loot bag.

Shadow Wyrms are fun, but they only spawn in one location. Maybe toss them into another area to make things interesting? Wisp dungeon perhaps, along side the Shadow Wisps?

... and maybe we could have some of the Tokuno spawn migrate? So hard to get Tokuno loot items since there are only a couple good Tokuno spawns and only Tokuno-only creatures have them. Not even Travesty dungeon ninjas have anything, or the demons/balrons residing in tokuno.

oh well, at least i can dream.

20. Jandruz

Jandruz Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Haha! Classic!