1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Resisting Spells.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lord GOD(GOD), Nov 30, 2008.

1. Resisting Spells does very little now compared with pre pub 16. It is no longer viable to change it back to that way as the game has changed too much and it would also be further unbalancing in PvP.

However I think that low level magic monsters should stand very little chance of doing damage/poison to characters with Resisting Spells much higher than their Magery/Eval.

I would like to propose that Resisting Spells scales damage/curses/poisons from monsters, if equal Mage/Eval vs Resisting Spells doing half, dropping to 0 for huge differences (i.e 70 Mage/Eval vs 120 Resistng Spells - thinking undead spawn)

This is in regards to monsters vs players only.

*Not particularly looking for responses just putting it out there. But feel free to say w/e*

2. what ever. (you told me to)

3. It's ok, I fully expected it. :)

4. Dragkiris

Dragkiris Visitor

Actually the way resist worked was changed with the launch of AOS, not publish 16.

5. laurlo

laurlo Guest

I agree it needs beefed up with monsters... a mage with legendary resist shouldnt get poisoned by a monster with adept magery.

6. 120 resist = 60 in all resist!!! lol hehe MUHAHAH!!!!

7. "120 resist = 60 in all resist!!! lol hehe MUHAHAH!!!!"

I read this somewhere else and think it's a terrible idea. (Though you're probably jk)

8. Salty Pete

Salty Pete Guest

I think resisting spells should NOT give any +s to resists (armour) and instead only should give a % chance to evade spells based on the skill of the player. In other words, it should be parry for magic. Just like parry the chance to resist should be tied to a stat. In this case it would be int. 80 Int just like 80 dex for parry.

The chances to "resist" magic attacks should be the exact same %s as parry.

It would be a much more logical approach to the skill.

If that feels too gimpy (super tank characters) in order to balance the skill against parry, you could also introduce an item into the game used by the shield hand in order to keep players from having parry and magic resist on the same character. Give that item similar properties to what you can get on a shield for further character balance.

9. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

Wel for me i am curently droppping resist on my bard/mage ill let ya know how it comes out!

The main reason I keep it is the mana drain doesnt take as much from me and it ends much faster. Now i know when i get repeated drained by monsters I will likly have to run as opposed to standing my ground. This may even destroy all the barding work ive done. IE: discord/provoke.

That and paralize. The poisons are simple stupid for a high resist char i agree but we can not negate an entire spell can we? Oh right paralize.
    I think ill take up scribery!

10. Indeed thus the lol and MUHAHAH!!!!

11. Salty Pete: I agree. The resists it gives really aren't important imo but I agree it should be like parry for spells.

5% Luck: I am also 6x120 Discord/Prov/Mage but I opted to not have Eval instead, I have tried no resist but always find it irritating. Though I guess it will highly depend on where you use the character.

12. Jhym

Jhym Guest

I like the current "base resists" addition mages have. It's not overpowering, and if you need all 70's you still have to build an expensive suit (assuming you use lrc/lmc.)

I do like adjusting it to work a bit like parry, but this affect should turn on only if you equip a spellbook. OR, change magic reflect so that it activates a parry effect instead of the resist increase it does now.

I do think having high resist should definitely scale attacks from lower level casters. If you are 50 resist skill or more above the caster their spell should have no effect on you (including "buff" effects.) This, of course, also means no more standing in a cloud of low level casters to gain resist, but who does that :loser:

Effectively even resist/eval (1/1) should give you a 50/50 on resist, 3/2 should give you a 75% of resist and 25% diffusion, 2/1 should give you 100% resist and 100% diffusion. But people would complain it was overpowered, of course.

13. Xalan Dementia

Xalan Dementia Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Not sure if this offers any insight, but i recently took my 120 magic resist off of my pally archer to try and add another damage increasing skill. the main difference ive seen is the ethereal warriors in moonglow invasion spawn, with 120 resist i was never paralyzed by them, now i am almost every 30 seconds. i get hit by all debuffs and dmg spells hurt about 5-8 points more. since im a pally i can handle removing curses easily but for someone without apples or chiv, id say magic resist is worthwhile

14. Ozymandies

Ozymandies Guest

I agree with the OP, particularly with respect to poison. I think it is silly that my GM resist char gets poisoned by something that can be cured by a lesser cure pot (lvl 1 poison). He resists it a lot, but when it gets through, it only requires a lesser cure. I don't bother with orange petals anymore, just buy 20 lc pots and go into action. If I actually have to fight a poison creature, then I get out the petals.

Otherwise, resist is good for preserving your mana supply.

I also think you should need resist AND parry to dodge any spell damage.

OZ

15. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

I kept Resist Spells just long enough to realize that in no way did it feel like I was resisting anything anyway, so I dropped it.

16. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I agree with everything but the first sentence. I think resist should do something similar to reflect only without the -phys penalty. Something like add +1 to all resists but physical per 20 points of skill. And actually have it stack with armor. As it is now I have it on my archer to counter para so he won't get pinned down (he has poor phys resist).

But anything to beef up the skill would be greatly apreciated. Especially since the concept of stone form in the expansion would completly negate the need for resist. One spell replacing an entire skill is not right.

17. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

One spell replacing an entire skill is not right.

Telekinesis?

18. Kaleb

Kaleb Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

the way it should be is @ 120 resist it does what it does now with debuffs/curses but with a chance that damaging spells do like 50% less damage.

19. Fink

Fink Guest

Create Food :(

20. Good comments. It seems everyone is roughly in agreement that it should be doing more than it does now.

21. Turdnugget

Turdnugget Guest

If Magic Resist were like parry and you needed 80 int for it to be at all useful, where would that leave dexers?

How many normal dexers do you know that run 80+ int and still have enough str/hp to survive a combo and enough dex/stamina to swing fast enough to be of any use?

I can see it more as a passive skill to evade spells or absorb the damage, but not based on int. It would still screw over dexers.

They need to give us back Reflect Magic spell too. I'd rather be able to have someone's spell reflect back on them than to adjust my resists.

22. Salty Pete

Salty Pete Guest

Just curious then, were you ok with the 80 dex penalty with parry?

23. mr.blackmage

mr.blackmage Guest

It's a lot easier for a dexer to get 80 int than it is for a mage to get 80 dex.

24. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I would like for it to do more.

However I doubt I could get by without it, even as it is now.

-Galen's player

25. Turdnugget: The 80 int req comment was posted by someone other than me but I just wanted to point out that the discussion in general (at least from me) was about PvM only. So combos from monsters aren't usually an issue.

GalenKnighthawke: I also don't play without it on any character that fights anything.

26. Turdnugget

Turdnugget Guest

I don't think parry is on the same level as magic resist. If you'd need MR in order to reflect spells/have it actually be useful, you'd see more people running with MR on their template no matter what kind of template.

Now parry, that's a complimentary skill in my opinion. MR on the other hand before the major eff up, was on just about anyone's template because if you didn't have it, you were screwed. Before item resists.

So why put a int requirement on a skill that people would HAVE to run with in order to stay alive vs. a mage? Parry is pretty much a choice whereas Resist is more of a necessity on a template. So why penalize someone who HAS to have it as opposed to a skill that is a choice to have to compliment your template to make you more defensive?

I just think it'd be silly to require someone to have X amount of int to use a what would be, required skill for PvP/PvM.

Even without parry, a mage with -mage weapon + max DCI is a pain in the arse to hit, and added with parry even more so. So if a dexer is missing 3/4 of their hits, the mage has plenty of time and defense to combo that dexer to death.

It'd be nice if paralyze special actually paralyzed people with Resist as well. Sucks to waste that mana and they're instantly free.