1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Returning player after 8 years.. :)

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Kerkyon, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Kerkyon

Kerkyon Visitor

Hi old UO veterans,
    after infinite tries of finding another MMO giving me the same emotions or player-interactions of UO, I must face the reality and admit there is no alternatives yet, after 15 years.
    I tried all the Major MMO's on the last 4 years, but I really can't find love on all those themepark MMO's. Just a decent single Player game with a Chat Interface and instanced dungeons or raids for the so called "social activities".
    Camelot Unchained is not exactly behind the corner, and Shroud of the Avatar / Pathfinder Online will be probably not exactly what I'm looking for.
    Therefore I decided to come back. Yes, start from scratch everything (I still repent badly I sold my account 4 years a go...)

Just a few questions..

- Which is the most populated shard? I used to Play on Europa being EU-based, is still enough populated? I'm mainly interested in PvM, Rares collection, Champs Spawn.

- Will I still find the social interaction I used to? Now with the global Chat and vendor search function, isn't UO loosing some of the sandbox elements it used to have?

Thanks a lot!

Kerkyon

2. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The most populated shard it Atlantic and then ls and a couple others are about the same as for shards near you I am not sure europa? I would log in at the time you mostly will play and you can list the shards by population! and welcome back you have a lot of catching up to do and most shards have people who will help you out and of course here on stratics there is a lot of info and helpfull people!

3. Sauteed Onion

Global chat grows on you. Vendor search.. well, um.

Anyhow, welcome back to UO! Lots of people coming back and on Atlantic at least been running into people checking it out for the first time. I've noticed some Hispanic people starting too.

As far as servers, seems like several are talked about. If you want RP and social some people from Catskills are doing a vampire RP thing, there are multiple weekly auctions on Atlantic if that's your bag, and if you just want to kick back and relearn templates head over to the warriors forums and look up sampires.

@Captn Norrington @Alexander of ATL. just a couple of people running auctions on Atl

@Pandora_CoD @Bianca_CoD for the vampire RP on Catskills

@Assia Penryn Runs a nice little vendor and collects rares

@Frarc and @Petra Fyde for some European shard stuffs. Oh @Ron Silverbeard also.

Hmm. I'm still trying to get used to this @ stuff. Not a fan. Well, maybe that will get some people to show up and say hi.

4. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

5. Alexander of ATL.

Alexander of ATL. Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
    Stratics Veteran

6. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

Welcome back to the wonderful world of UO! :)

Acid Rain and Sauteed Onion like this.
  7. Gem

Gem Lore Keeper
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Welcome back! Great Lakes is pretty populated. If you decide to try it give FCB a call and we'll help you out.

8. Acid Rain

Acid Rain Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

We missed you. WB :)

PS. If your connection can take it.... Atlantic is #1 ! ;)

Captn Norrington likes this.
  9. Kerkyon

Kerkyon Visitor

awww thanks everyone, what a nice welcome back! I'm already happy about my decision already before logging in ;) ;) ;)
    I'll have a look around on the forums, check Server Population and then jump in again! For nostalgic reasons I'd like to back on Europa, but I'm also tempted for a very crowded and active shard like Atlantic or GL ^^

Storm likes this.
  10. Kerkyon

Kerkyon Visitor

more one question.. :) People are now using the enhanced Client or the classic Client is still the best?
    I remember the enhanced was pretty Buggy.. :)

11. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

About 60% of people use classic still, and the ones who play EC pretty much all use Pinco's UI to make it better.

pumpkin_escobar, Gem and Ludes like this.
  12. Arroth Thaiel

Arroth Thaiel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well........about 60% of respondents to polls on Stratics about client preference use the CC. That is a highly selective sample that may or may not be representative of the entire player base. :D

13. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I'm totally hooked on the EC now.. just the zoom feature got me. But PincosUI is a must.

14. Tamais

Tamais Lake Austin Reporter
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Editor

I use both clients depending on what I 'm doing. I love the list feature. I always seem to lose something in the containers. If I'm trying on armour or jewelry , I like being able to compare what I have on to what I'm thinking of changing to. For writing books I only use cc and also restocking vendors. Try both and see which you like better

Storm likes this.
  15. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I use the EC try them both out and see what you like or use them both!

16. Kerkyon

Kerkyon Visitor

Thanks again !;) Ok i've installed both of them, i'll try them out. I decided to play on Atlantic, I like the mess ;) My ping is 102ms so I should be able to play without excessive lag hopefully ;)

Tamais, Sauteed Onion, Ludes and 2 others like this.
  17. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

Welcome Home!

18. Pandora_CoD

Pandora_CoD Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend CoD

Welcome back to the game that basically created the MMO genre... there is no other game like it and probably will never be.

Having said that... the Catskills community is one of the closest, tightest, ones you'll find. The way we come together to help one of our own is unlike any other game I've played, and I've played quite a lot. Catskills is hands down one of the best shards to play on! I am partial of course... :p

Any one of us will be more than happy to set you up with some gold, starting suits, and basic guidance in reacquainting yourself with the game. :)

Captn Norrington and Storm like this.
  19. pumpkin_escobar

pumpkin_escobar Journeyman

Welcome back I play east coast Atl/cats Atlantic seems the most populated these days

20. a slave girl

Stratics Veteran

Welcome back!

21. Kerkyon

Kerkyon Visitor

I just logged in. I came back. And Magic happened already! And I'm almost in tears! :D
    A Tribute for you all ;)

WHY I love UO
    My welcome back, as a newbie stranger, was simply amazing.
    I reached the bank of Luna, and told to people around I just came back and I needed some infos.
    Such things happens only in this MMO. People gave me a warm welcome back, some people dropped on the floor equipment and stuff to help me starting again my journey.
    Other 2 people offered me to join their guild, and when I asked if there is a place to build a small home, a very kind girl showed me around for 15 minutes differents spots, helped me with the money, and marked a rune for me.
    All this in 5 minutes after loggin in. Thank you, UO community, for being (still) so amazing.

Riyana, Gem, Storm and 2 others like this.