1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Returning player from the good ole days

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by morkani11, May 2, 2009.

1. morkani11

morkani11 Guest

I'm considering comming back after being away for (i'd guess 4 or 5 years), I never played on the siege realm, but after checking in the UO hall thread, it looks like this may be just the right realm for me :). I have a few questions though, i would appreciate any feedback (as there's a lot of things i don't quite remember)

1. in the sticky guide it appears to mention that player vendors aren't typically used? is this accurate, or did i read it incorrectly?

2. I have ALWAYS loved crafting professions, runescapers would call me a "skiller" i've checked several threads on the build for what we typically would call a "mule" character, but the problem is every thread i've found seems to talk about making a mule character for a traditional shard. I know i can only have one player on siege, but i think i will still enjoy this playstyle immensly. I'm trying to decide what "build" I should go for to be viable & make my fortunes with. I'm considering this....

blacksmithing
    tailoring
    mining
    alchemy
    i must be able to travel so i know i need mage, & from what i understand, i can't "recall" only gate travel & i don't remember the requirements for gate.
    tinkering (i must be able to make my own tools)
    the rest of the slots i don't quite recall

also, stats, it seems like i'm going to want at 100 str definately (i'm assuming it goes from 0-100 for each stat) and i don't recall if i want dex or int more. (i'm thinking intelligence is what i want for resource gathering & gating?)

any hints, tips advice will be GREATLY appreciated

thank you very much :)

2. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

with soul stones or fragments you can put some of the skills on stones when not in use. that way u can trade out skills when you want to.

you can use vet rewards to get the stones so my recomendation is to either re activate your old char or buy a char from another shard that has some age and some available vet rewards. Reason to buy one from another shard is they are much cheaper.

Lorddog

3. morkani11

morkani11 Guest

i could be wrong here, but i believe i may have deleted my characters when i left (so i wouldn't be tempted to come back, i was pretty upset about the price increase lol)

and if i recall, vet rewards are given out by the age of the character isn't it?

also, through my reading, it appears there's a new skill "imbue" comming out?, i'm guessing this is a skill i'll want on my mule?

also, you mentioned buying one from another shard which is "cheaper" i thought you couldn't transfer characters into the siege shard?

thanks again :)

4. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Good mule skills for siege to begin with imo

Cooking (apples and egg bombs)
    Alchemy
    tailoring
    Mining
    Magery (for transport and mage weaps for gathering hides early on)
    blacksmith ( best item for regular sell would probably be ninja stars)
    Poison ( for dping ninja stars ).
    Tinkering

That skill set would have you set up to make almost everything the pvp crowd needs.

5. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Player vendors are often used for low level items - just selling the normal consumable/craftable stuff. If you have a 30 mil gold warfork you want to sell, most people post on here to sell it because of the vendor fees.

However with vendor fees coming down recently, hopefully vendor activity will pick up. There are really only 2-3 good vendor malls in all of Siege that i can think of with a good regular supply of crafted items. If you made one I'm sure it'd do well. You would just need to find a spot near a moongate for those of us magically challenged.

Crafting can do very well here if you dedicate yourself to it. Many people have made riches beyond my wildest dreams by just crafting stuff and selling it. As for stats, just go 125 str, 25 dex, rest in int. No need for dex. Max str so you can carry stuff. Int for mana pool so you can gate around.

As for which skills, I'm just going to copy and paste a previous reply I made to someone elses thread:

No need to take any handouts if that is not what you want to do. As a crafter, here would be my suggestions:

To make gold, just pure gold while unskilled, do two things:
    1. Grab low level bods and sell them as others have mentioned.
    2. Shear sheep, makes bolts of cloth, sell bolts of cloth. Bolts of cloth sell for 350-400 gold each - just need to advertise here or in Luna. If you really worked at making cloth, you could easily make 400k in cloth in one week and buy your first home.

What skills to pick and their use:
    1. Tailoring. Leather armour sells well. I can see someone selling runic crafter armour making a killing, because I don't think anyone does it - except for as loot buy backs. Just need to get your own leather or cloth but that isn't hard.
    2. Mining. Useful, will need tinkering to make your own tools. Sell the ingots to other people, good market for that, especially the colored ingots.
    3. Blacksmith. Not very useful. Only real purpose of blacksmiths here are to acquire runic hammers (bronze or higher), use runic hammers, pray they make something good, sell that good item. You could of course sell the hammers as well.
    4. Alchemy. Very useful. Sells well, people use a lot of potions here.
    5. Lumberjack. Useful but not. Good wood sells ok (ash and bloodwood only). But it is so rare, it's almost pointless.
    6. Tinkering. If you're going at it solo, you'll need tinkering to supply all your crafted items above.
    7. Carpentry. Not useful. Only time I've ever used carpentry is once in a while a guildmate buys a new home and asks "Any carpenters on to make me X?"

If you want to see how a vendor mall should be set up and what does well, check out Molly Fydes which is just east of Moonglow gate. Gilfane vendors are also good (just a bit of a walk for me). Most of the vendors around Yew or Luna are for high end items, not your normal crafted stuff. There's also a good vendor mall East of Umbra.

One thing my post failed to mention is you will want arms lore for tailoring and blacksmith. It adds 8 resistance to armour pieces, and 8 damage increase to weapons at GM.

6. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

First off make sure you have the latest expansions if beginning UO from 4-5 yrs. absense.

Next if you did delete the existing chrs. that you had you will have to make a new chr. on a regular shard. You as a *young* with young player status if making entirely new acct. and chr. will NOT see Siege on your shard list till you make the newbie on some other shard then renounce your *young status* there...once that new acct. young player status is renounced by you, elsewhere, you will then see Siege on the shards list. :)

Crafting is as good and profitable as any of us makes it. You can even be in far flung locations, and if they know you have a shop somewhere and perhaps due to being far off, if your prices on resources are less due to inconvenient location, they will find you if it is something they want or use or need. As the saying goes...build it they will come.

You can gate with gate scrolls and low magery, just you will fail and fizzle a lot. You can up magery with a mage wand in your hand..it will lower your low skill further, you cast off some scroll or spell above your magery..you WILL FAIL but you will gain magery skill and with the wand in hand no regs used..per say. If you can get your magery up to over 50 then over 60 as cheaply as possible you will gate with gate scrolls..till or if you up your magery higher to gate without gate scrolls.

Pick crafter skills that are mutually useful. If you want a scribe or alchemist make BOTH then add some cooking for making bombs and magical fruits etc.

Mining lumberjacking carpentry tailoring tinkering...you need many skills to be a carpenter..and you need arms lore WITH tailoring if you are wanting to become a tailor. Resources DO sell and when really new here shearing sheep for their wool to sell the cloth ..they will buy it RIGHT HERE from this forum just post it when you get lots of cloth bolts made up to sell.

DO add tinkering to make whatever tools cuz tools cost waste your gold when you can merely mine up ore make ingots and with tinkering make whatever tools you may need lots cheaper.

DO consider joining NEW guild when you do get over here. It is temporary for a month or a bit more for unskilled new arrivals here on Siege. NEW guild will have a guild house for you to hang your hat while you up skills, you will get to know others whom may have come to make a chr. here also new here, or returnees with new or low skills yet. Information regarding NEW guild is in one of the sticky threads above. The guildmistress is Shalimar and there are others whom are co gms with her to help get folks new here onto the NEW guildstone.

Imbueing whatever... hehe is coming with the next expansion I THINK. I have not paid much attention regarding it yet...just not into GARGOYLE characters nor SA expansion yet so I been ignoring all that till it is LIVE whenever ! :)

7. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Welcome to Siege! I would type more, but the dishes are piling up...

8. morkani11

morkani11 Guest

tyvm bruin, very informative post....i'm downloading the client as we speak (couldn't believe it's taking as long as it has hehe)

I think i'm sold on comming to siege, very active forums here as well is a good indicator this is a shard i'll enjoy. :)

couple things still though, i remember having a runebook for each and every colored ore, i though i read somewhere today that colored ores now change places?, so the runebooks would be moot it seems?, so you just gotta strip mine a mountain?

2. traveling around, i can't recall correct?, i have to gate? (and what magery will i need to gate without the stress of farting 5 or 6 times each gate?)

3.and if i'm going to be using magery to gate, should that go into consideration for intelligence?

4. you went into great descriptions on the skills, i appreciate that, i think i'll go with,

tailoring
    mining
    alchemy
    tinkering
    magery (what level?)

blacksmith (you didn't recomend it, but i was wondering, isn't blacksmith where you get pretty much all melee weapons from?, and on a pvp server, isn't this needed? I would use a runic hammer on axes/krysses or whatever else is selling well (or do these weapons not sell well anymore?) plus the occasional gm set.

also, i heard something about a new skill called imbue or something?, is this something i should consider saving space for?

I wouldn't really even consider carpentry at all, house add-on's even in UO's hayday, never really sold well. & thus i also wouldn't consider lumberjacking (unless i was gonna use it for pvp)

i WOULD however consider poisoning & or cooking if i could get a little more info on these? (viable sources of income?)

ps, one other thing, i no longer have access to the email address i used to use with UO back in the day, if i can find my key i got with the game, can the dev's/mod's pull up my account normally? or is that pretty much lost & i'll just start over (would be nice to have the vet rewards, i'm not really interested in having my characters back (i like building toons)

9. well come back, well i hope you come back that is.

10. Nabber

Nabber Guest

Without an email address you will need to call EA support (maybe several times) until you get a helpful service rep to locate your old account, they can do this with your name, an old phone number, an old credit card number, an old account name.

It takes a little bit of tenacity to retreive an old account without knowing the account name, but it can be done.

Good Luck and definitely consider joining NEW, great source of information and a way to build up a social network.

11. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

so the runebooks would be moot it seems?,
    Yep !

so you just gotta strip mine a mountain?

Yep !

12. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Enough has not been said about cooking! Train cooking to make magic apples, you can start making them at 60 cooking and not fail at 80 I think.
    these items fly off vendors because they counter all necro curses not to mention mage curse as well. You can also use cooking to make egg bombs which can be used to instantly hide ninja chars while they are in combat, these also sell extremely well, but you will need to gm the skill and get a good talisman for the best profit margin.

One last thing, get yourself an lrc suit to train magery; almost anyone here will probbaly hook you up with one. You also will probbaly find people willing to give you crafting talismen as well ( I will let someone else explain those).

13. Dopa Mine

Dopa Mine Guest

I did not read some of the long winded replies, but are not vet rewards based on the age of the account, not the toon?

14. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Don't forget arms lore to go along with tailoring.

Tibs - as for cooking, yes apples are very useful, but you can make smoke bombs with alchemy - so I just don't see the point of 80 cooking just to make apples. Plus with faction bandages, apples are only really useful anymore for non-faction pvp'ers.

Magery - you really don't need it as a crafter. You could literally if you wanted to, get a +15 mage ring, +15 mage bracelet, +15 mage spellbook, and probably succeed 50% of the time with scrolls.

15. morkani11

morkani11 Guest

OKAY, i downloaded the client & performed the LONG patch updates, I called EA and they WERE able to pull up my old account & reinstate, & he even gave me 30days free on it :) (AWSOME!)

i found all my old toons on lake superior (minus my house & any items/gold because i dropped my house and gave my stuff away) but my toons are still there, showing a 20 month account. i guess i didn't play it as much as i thought i did lol.

i also see a toon i apparently made but did not play on siege (ahh, found luna, now to find NEW guild :)) he's got no skills or nething i do see he's got maximum stats of 230, how does he go about getting his "rewards".

also, this new interface is REALLY difficult for me to get used too, i definately like the old one with simple graphics :)

stop by & say hello, would be glad to see some people hehe :)

16. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Yea I make smoke bombs rather than egg bombs myself. but I also have 80 cooking just for the apples. Actually all the craft skills cept alchemy have been stoned and replaced with music, discord, chiv, med, and mage; Instead of buying my faction gear back I spend money made off spawning on crafted wares and have more time to...PVP:). Most of us in factions do use apples rather than burn silver on the bandages. I think they cost like 500 silver per so it is nowhere near as cost effective. I know we routinely clean leaf's vendors out of the things.

You can get by with no magery using the items you mentioned but it sure is nice to whip on a mage weap elemental slayer bow and combo up mind blasts to take it out and get it's ore if I am mining. It is also nice to be able to farm your own leather with mage weapons for someone just getting started without having to devote any points into a weapon skill.

17. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

If you have any rewards, Save them for soulstones. You will not need them anytime soon but you will. You should get a reward gump that pops on your screen when you log on, but I must reiterate; save the rewards for soustones. You can use them to store skills so you can learn alot more than just 6 to 7 skills on a char. I also took a 4-5 year break from UO and this has got to be one of the coolest things they ever put into the game imo.

18. morkani11

morkani11 Guest

whelp, i got in and played around some, i didn't get a reward gump pop up, it did mention that i got +5 to my attributes, i wonder if it has to do with the client i downloaded....i downloaded the one that gives a 14day free trial, but an ea employee was able to find my old acct, i'm searching my old characters on LS to see if i got a soulstone on one of those characters (entirely likely) i found a personal bless deed on my fisherman on LS,

the client i downloaded also doesn't have the option for 2d or 3d, i'm almost 100% certain i won't want to play with 3d, i HATE the backpack design, i think it'll be easier for me to step into a 2d environment than the 3d one.

i may have to uninstall, and reinstall my old cd if i can find it so i have the option.

19. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

har eeb need mur runtees

20. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Oldbie from LS? Ever hang out in Ocllo?

21. morkani11

morkani11 Guest

Ocollo doesn't ring a bell, I used to run vendor's at the 3 musketeer's mall, & i ran the twin towers mall.

i'm having a little difficulty finding the NEW guild. i posted my app on their forums, but haven't heard anything yet & can't post on the forum's, i went to where they said their keep is (due north of east brit bank) but i'm not finding it unfortunately, hmmm...it seems maybe some of the directions are old, or i just can't find it lol.

22. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

yes- save room for imbue, or buy a stone to put it on.

23. morkani11

morkani11 Guest

okey dokey, il'm moving back in swimmingly :), got in contact with NEW & everything's starting to feel familiar again :), really happy about that.

however, i think my initial plans might need adjusted, i can mine/smith/alchy fine, but i think i'm going to have a gold problem & a problem gathering leather for my tailor.

I have always prefered to be semi "self sufficient" & i think this is gonna be a major flaw in the template i choose. (if i'm wrong plz let me know :) )

so i'm rethinking a whole new template, how about tamer/animal lore/vet (and here's where i get stuck)

my old template had magery/music/provo, but i'm being told provo isn't as 1337 as it used to be. i've been advised to pick up discord.

BUT, i'm wondering, i may just do a pure tamer, is it possible to be a tamer (i'm mostly a PvM, occasional pvp but rarely) AND pick up tailor & still be viable? if so, can you suggest some templates?, would it be tame/animal lore/vet/tailor/(arms lore???) (and do i have room for mage?) i prolly don't have room for any kind of music, but i'd appreciate any advice :), thanks