1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to UO after 8 years away

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by Jonser, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Jonser

Jonser Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Hi

After 8 years away from the game, I decided to download the trial version last weekend and have been playing for a week now.

I have a ton of questions and I dont even know where to start!

First, I chose one of the Asian shards (Formosa) because connection was pretty good. However, the shard is like a ghost town, only once in a great while will I see anyone in Britain but otherwise completely empty and I log in during the shards' prime time. So my question is, is Britain still a main city that players hang out in or is there another city that is more popular these days?

I am asking this because I cannot find any player vendors on my shard so I dont even know how I can get my chars some of the stuff that can be only player made/crafted (Runebooks/Spell Scrolls/GM Armor and Weapons etc.).

Here is a list of quick questions that I would be grateful if someone can help me answer:

1. Is a GM blacksmith still useful? Because it seems like it is not very useful anymore.
    2. How do you become a citizen of a town and what is it for?
    3. What is a good starting type of character? I've made a Samurai but I dont think I'm doing it correctly because I am unsure what kind of skills I need for it in order to be able to do beginner level dungeons. I went into Shame with my newb char (with 76 swordsman) and promptly got my ass handed to me on a platter.
    4. I have read I should have Necromancy for my warrior so should I pick this up and drop Bushido? What about healing and Anatomy?
    5. I know the armor and weapons rating has completely been changed and redone but where would a guy like me go hunt to pick up decent weapons and armor? I am obviously not ready for primetime as far as dungeons go, and killing trolls and ettins by the Brit X-Roads doesn't get my too many drops.
    6. What is the best PVE template these days? When I left, I had a GM bard and Mage and that was pretty much the way to go if you wanted to do high end dungeons and it seems Tamer is still the way to go but if I am not interested in being an animal tamer, what other skills should I combine with Magery?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Jonser

P.S. Is it possible to get my old account back? I have sent several emails asking about it but I didnt not get any responses (other than the auto reply).

2. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Where are ya playing from?

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I have very few answers... I can say if ya want, ya can have a lot of fun. Even trying to relearn it all. Yes you likely can get yer old accounts back if you can remember all the hoops to jump though and navigate the new account system.

4. Leira of Asrai

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

1. Blacksmith is still useful at GM, but having higher skill allows for greater success chances. Also you can use crafting talismans that give you a bonus to success and exceptional chances. They are usually sold cheap on player vendors, or you can do mini quests in the Elven city Heartwood for a chance to get a talisman as a reward. Heartwood entrance is near Yew.

2. You can identify the city you claim through your character gump. I think you can gain loyalty as you kill stuff. I think the reward is getting cheaper prices at city shops. (If I'm wrong, someone please reply. I don't use city loyalty)

3. Melee characters are good for starting out at low levels. Fencing is fast, but doesn't do a lot of damage. Macing does decent damage, but is slow. Swords I find is a great combination of speed and damage, and has good weapons with special moves.

4. You are referring to a Samurai in Vampire form using the Necromancy skill. Shortened to, and referred to as a Sampire. The Vampire form allows you to leech health back every time you do damage. The formula is Damage x Leech % x 30%. So 100 damage with a 50% Life Leech weapon x 30% =15 health leeched each hit.

A starting template would include:
    Swords
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Parrying
    Necromancy
    Chivalry

The final skill is up to you. Some players choose Healing for obvious reasons. Some choose Bushido; using honor on an opponent allows you to gain extra damage up to an additional 100%. This greatly compliments the life leech from Vampire form. Some choose Resist Spells. Or you can drop parrying for both bushido and healing, but I would suggest keeping parrying. Play around with different combinations and see what works best for your play style.

5. Shame level 1 Earth Elements and Mud Elementals near the entrance are not too hard and should be an easy match for you at 76 swords. They have a decent chance to drop gear with the newer mods. I'm sure if you asked over general chat, somebody would be willing to help you out with getting a basic set of imbued gear and a decent weapon for cheap, if not free. It does depend on the shard. If you play on Pacific, give me a shout out on chat and I'll hook you up.

6. Most templates work okay PVE, as long as you know how to play them. Tamers now have a powerful pet, the Greater Dragon. It's a great tank pet and does pretty good damage. Bard Mages are always welcome in my hunting party. It makes mobs a lot easier. I personally love my Sampire Archer. I can solo almost anything in game, including many of the Fel Champ spawns, Mini Champs, and Peerless bosses. Find yourself an active guild to join and hunt in a group. Even one more character makes hunting a lot easier. Again, if you end up on Pacific, look me up. My guild/alliance is very active and helpful to new/returning players.

It's just great to see players returning to the game. Good luck in your adventures.