1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Richard Garriott Interview with MMORPG.com

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Coldren, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Just read an interview with Richard Garriott at MMORPG.com, and while most of it was standard fare for an RG interview, I thought fellow UO players might find this little tidbit interesting..

2. Selurnoraa

Selurnoraa Adventurer

is a mobile game, it won't be very good.

3. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I am always pleased to see there are so many prophets and visionaries on MMO forums. No one has seen what the game looks like, or how it plays, but they already know the end result. Just like EA did when they said "Play it ONLINE? No one will do that."

4. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

So it's MMO Dark, instead?

Oooohhhh. He meant MMO Lite. Iiii get it now.

5. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen a Facebook-type game with the ability of simultaneous multi-player, only turn-based or asynchronous, such as a word game or a social game where actions will replay upon a trigger. I think, until RG can breach that synchronous barrier, a mobile MMO will pretty much remain worthless for the casual, or especially hardcore, MMOer.

One thing I'm interested in though is how the mobile aspect of the "game" could help define the genre as a part of the "game." Imagine being able to sort out your raised garden in Ultima by use of a tablet, or to perform simple tasks like that within the game world but without being able to get the full immersion. Well, I would be interested to know how many gamers actually own tablets, but based on the direction of the console front I can assume the developers believe tablets, and certainly smart phones, represent a huge market.

6. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

.. Well, someone has to be first, right?

I think this would be interesting as well. WoW and Rift have already started things like this on a smaller scale. Things like guild chat, AH, and games that earn you rewards in the MMO proper.

Extend it beyond.

In the "Game" you have a blacksmith. Want to make a sword? It's a mini puzzle game, with the better the item, the more difficult the puzzle, with difficulty offset by your skill level. Want to be able to make swords when you're not at home so you can sell them when you get back into game? Fire up the ole smart phone. Got a warrior who uses swords? "Train" up your character by playing another mini game like Fruit Ninja while riding the train. Magery? What better way to prepare your mind to wield the twisted strands of the ethereal than a good Sudoku(sp) game while you're relaxing in bed.

All and all, we'll just have to see what is made, and then decide if it fits our paradigm. But I think, if done right, it could have a lot of potential.

7. NBG

NBG Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

guess he wants to point out that being on a mobile platform does not limit the ability to provide an equivalent sandbox when it comes to content?