1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Richard Garriott: "Ultima Online" 2

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Darn, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Darn

Darn Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

2. Mistura

Mistura Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

No mention of UO from the Mythic chap in his round of up 2008? :-(

Definitely interesting comment from Lord British.

3. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

He can't make another Ultima. EA bought Origin, along with the rights to the Ultima series and Ultima Online. Richard Garriot left the employ of EA after his contract expired because he was pissed at EA for canceling UO 2 and Ultima X: Odyssey, which both were so close to release. EA's stated reason is that they did not wish to split the player base of Ultima Online. Ultima Online 2 looked very similar to Everquest, but was before Everquest came out. If UO 2 had released, EA would've kept it's monopoly on the market. There wouldn't of been much of a foothold for EQ to get.

Richard Garriot also just recently sold his newest MMORPG, Tabula Rasa.

4. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

5. Darn

Darn Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah, I know. That's why I put the title in " " " :) Just wanted to provoke a little. But you are right, wasnt that obvious.

6. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Perhaps cash strapped EA will be willing to part with Ultima and we can get this game going in the right direction again.

7. walter_mitty

walter_mitty Guest

sold tabula rasa ?

he left NCSOFT then the game bombed, tabula rasa died
    i had a tabua rasa account and i got an email from NCSOFT a couple of weeks ago saying the servers are free to play on now till they pull the plug.

8. Kayhynn

Kayhynn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Tabula Rasa was dying before he left...and it was NCSoft he left...not Funcom. Facts mate, facts.

9. Duskofdead

Duskofdead Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Personally I simply don't believe any MMO is going to have major success until people are fed up with WOW. I believe the market is pretty saturated at the moment. I do not think LOTRO or Tabula or similar attempts being relative flops was the fault of anyone per se, they're trying to break into what is today a very heavily competed-for market where one giant dominates.