1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Role Playing in UO, which shard shall i chose?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by hirikawa, Dec 25, 2014.

1. hirikawa

hirikawa Journeyman

Hello everyone! Currently i'm playing on ATL. Year passed and i never found there people who would like to do some Role Play with me, so i'm thinking about transferring my char to other shard. Also time zone in ATL is a problem (i'm from Europe) so i couldn't participate in GM events which were in the middle of night for me. Lag also was a problem there. So question is which shard should i consider? Catskills, Europa? I hope i can find some people to play with in this different way - i mean oldschool Role Play. I got white Paladin which was made in old school manner. Thanks for help!

Captn Norrington likes this.
  2. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

If you are in Europa either Europa or Drachs I would say.

Flutter and Captn Norrington like this.
  3. THP

THP Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Its pretty obvoius trawling all the 27 shards [my world tour]...there are 5 groups of shards

1. highest populous... by a country mile is Atlantic...[housing market is still bouyant although slowing down and vendor shops/markets litter the land even malas is well well used]

2. above average populous...4 shards Great Lakes and Chessy in the west and Asuka and Yamato in the east... [castles are sought after and pay high...even placing a keep is hard, more likely to have to buy one in tram and lots of vendors/shops....even life in malas on these 4 shards!!]

3. average populous shards...Euro, Pacs, Cats, Lake superior, Siege[maybe], Napa in the west and Hokuto, Mizuho in the east...[castle are all taken/placed but some often come on the market but prices are fair and its easy to place a keep in tram/fel, the shopping are just ok but malas is looking bleak indeed.

4. below average populous... baja, legends, sonama,drachs and lake austin in the west and inzumo, wakaku, formosa and sakura in the east...[ these shards have a few castle spots free for placing at most times and castle sell really cheap if not, keeps are extremely easy to place even in trammel, less shops and vendors than the average populous shards and malas is pretty well green wastelands.

5. dying shards... [sorry] ...Origin in the west and in the east Airang ,Balahe, Mugden and Oceania...[loads of castle spots free, pretty well castle only and luna shards these- even spots in luna on some, not many shops and malas is simply empty]

4. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

If you want an American shard, Catskills or Chesapeake

If you want a European shard, Europa or Drachenfels like Djad said.

5. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I do role-play on GL's and have had folk from Europe do that with us but time is going to not be on your side with that. Mostly after hours or when your on not sure when that is in GL's time but you might look at Cats or Chessy is always begging RPers.

6. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It's best really to poke around on each shard's message board. RP on each shard seems to have its distinguishing characteristic(s). (I also must note: When people try and import those distinguishing characteristics from one shard to another things usually don't go all that well.)

-Galen's player

7. Inkboy the Wild

Inkboy the Wild Journeyman
    Governor

I personally believe you would enjoy Catskill's community, RP and otherwise. We'd love to have you.

Ludes likes this.
  8. Pandora_CoD

Pandora_CoD Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend CoD

Catskills has a very open, liberal role playing base. Its high fantasy, kinda anything goes type of shard. So you see a lot of creativity there that kinda colors outside the lines.

Europa is the complete opposite of that. They are very "true-to-the-times" and are very low fantasy. They get really creative, but almost always stay inside those lines of ... this is a midieval times world.

Having experienced both of these personally and occassionally like the Europa rule-sets, I am a full time Catskills player because I love the outlandish! Our guild is based on a book series by a hugely popular author and we come from Earth and we've had portals built to support that storyline in Umbra and so on and so forth. Like we "sneak" certain items, often not on purpose, from Earth here... which is how you explain Coffee Grinders, Clawfoot Bathtubs, or more creatively ink pens, cameras, and even a fully functional recording studio, etc. etc. :)

I cannot speak for the other shards, but I have visited both Great Lakes and Baja --- both have amazing RP communities but I don't know the exact details. :)

Ludes likes this.
  9. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

Lord Bytor likes this.
  10. Dag Nabbit

Dag Nabbit Seasoned Veteran

This is the reason why I wished I had a more 9 to 5 job so I can play prime time and interact with the others. Hard to find any one at eight in the morning.

11. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

At 8 in the morning I'm the walking dead.... I am having trouble finding folk who are up all night like me. 2am and all is dead...

12. Dag Nabbit

Dag Nabbit Seasoned Veteran

And it makes it near impossible to get a full focus at that time too. One thing I noticed on Catskills specifically is that when I say 'morning' in the rp chat channel, all I get are crickets. Not a couple of minutes later someone, that is more established in that community, says hi and gets two or three replies. That isn't a rant, just the way it is when I am rarely in game and relatively unknown.

13. hirikawa

hirikawa Journeyman

Thanks a lot for responses! It seems Catskills is really busy RP shard. The only problem might be time :/ It's almost 1:00am here and only sometimes i can stay so long. Most events will began in like 1h from now on. First i will temporary made a character there and see how it looks like (meet / talk to some people etc.) before i transfer. There is event tomorrow at 7pm so i might go check it out :)

I played UO for like 1 year, made some not bad character but all i saw was pure monster hunt or pvp work. That is boring without a background story (and makes me lose interest in UO lately) Thanks for helping me :)

Flutter likes this.
  14. MalagAste

I don't think I could play UO without having a character background. To just play and kill without reason .... not for me.

Ludes likes this.
  15. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Chessy for fun friendly role play on American shard.
    Drachenfels for a Europan shard only because I've not spent enough time on Europa to form an opinion.

16. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

You may take a look at Siege too, we do have some EU players too and we love roleplayers.

Now you can't transfer to Siege but with only a year of playing, it should not be that bad to regain the stuff you can't get with you. Siege is a little different as we do not have the Fel/Trammel split, all our facets are Felucca rules. That may sound bad but RP do work fine with the ruleset.

17. EM Emile Layne

EM Emile Layne UO Event Moderator
    UO Event Moderator Stratics Veteran

On Europa, prime-time is from around 7pm to 10pm CET. Events are mostly Sundays at 9pm CET. That is probably much more in line with your playtimes.

Of course, I am biased ;) But it seems to me Europa is the place to be for you!

18. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

But as you want to roleplay then you'll need other people to do it with, so Europa. Drach is like a graveyard. Dead

19. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Hmmmmm I beg to differ. I've been playing Europa for about a month now. Plenty of people to hunt with and I was surprised at the amount of PvP also. I'm not sure about Role play as it's not something I'm really into unless it's doctors and nurses style!

20. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Stratics Legend
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

CHESSY HAS A FULL GOBLIN COMUITEE. COME VISIT US

21. Matthias O'Hare

Matthias O'Hare Visitor

Really depends on how much drama you want to deal with besides just the hours question. Take a gander at the Catskills forum and you'll get an idea of the drama there. So I'd suggest Chessy or GL if you are basing it on numbers in the community. Beyond that, I'd say Europa is your best bet.