1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ruminations after burnout...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by old gypsy, Jul 21, 2015.

1. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

I've played UO on and off for many years on the Chesapeake shard. I recently gave away my house and all my stuff and decided to quit playing. For a long time only role-play kept me going, but even that finally ceased to motivate me. I'm still on Stratics, of course, and plan to stay in touch with folks I've played with in recent years.

I'm not a typical gamer (if there is such a thing). I was old when I started and will be turning 70 later this year. I guess I'm now in the process of trying to analyze what has happened. I think part of my burnout is the result of an in-game "split-personality" resulting from dealing with seven different characters. I've never been able to see any character as "just a mule"... but wanting to role-play each one is/was (to me) downright wearying. Also, the fact that I don't like fighting (what some call challenge) is somewhat limiting. Even more limiting is the fact that my favorite character is primarily a chef -- an occupation that has little value in today's UO. It's difficult to role-play a chef and not feel basically useless in a world where food is simply not needed.

Anyway, I'm not actually complaining -- just analyzing, and wondering if anyone else can relate.

2. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Certainly can relate. As far as split personalities you should try playing 70+ characters across multiple shards... talk about a mind blower. I can't imagine only 7...

I also understand the sadness with leaving and the state of Role-play. Years ago you could role-play a cook well on GLs... since we had tavern nights relatively often. Today almost no one cares if you open a Tavern for Tavern Nights and Stories. You'd be hard pressed to get 3 people to show up. What gets me is many folk claim they don't RP but if you RP near them many of them can and will RP. Yet they won't do Tavern Night or come for Stories, but they will stand about at Luna Bank for hours on end, go figure.

I was in my 30's when I started playing... I'm now a Grandma and while you've got a few years on me I certainly do understand. I oddly enough could picture myself still playing into my 60's and 70's. Don't think I'd be too good at the PvP though.

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do. May you always find joy in life.

3. StealYourFace

StealYourFace Journeyman

I'm kinda burned out myself. Mostly it's because there's nothing intresting to do . I still log on and do some events , but that's about it. Other than that it's just become a big grind to get better gear for pvp or pvm. Or a grind to create new characters on other shards.

I took a break for about 3 years . When I came back the game was new again. I had to learn imbuing , reforging, high seas, and a bunch of other stuff. I had to replace all my gear and tweak all my characters. This kept me busy for about 2 years. During this time there was one thing that bothered me . My shard had died while I was gone. The big goals I had like getting a Luna house and a castle were no longer challenges. Pvp was against the same 8 or 10 people. There's nothing to spend gold on because everyone takes their stuff to atl. I really do think that there might be only about 40 active players total here. Some of those might be alt accounts tho.

I really do hope that the new expansion gets me interested again. Some people I've talked to say this is the dev's last chance to keep them playing . I think that's the same for me also.

BeaIank and OREOGL like this.
  4. callum_fitzhugh

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

What a great original post up there. It has set my mind to thinking.

I was 35 when I started in 2000ish.

I stopped playing properly when I was 43 or so in 2008.

I have often looked back and wondered why I got so into RP and why it meant so much to me at the time. I guess UO RP filled a gap in my life somewhere, which real life reclaimed when my last two daughters were born. I only played one character really, but he was very intense and hard work. I will think more on this as its a very interesting post.

5. Gamer_Goblin

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to do in this game. I'm new though... Just saying... there is a TON of content. Easily rivaling other MMOs. Some things I want to do that you may have not done...

Have an organized seed box of every type/color of plant.
    Rune Library I adventured to and marked myself.
    Fully Train the Deadliest Tamables myself.
    Max all skills and templates. (I've got a spreadsheet going and enough soulstones to have every skill maxed.)
    Craft a legit suit for all of my characters that has my name tagged on it with the Lord title.
    Write up some GameFaqs.com articles to spread interest.
    Find all crafting recipies.
    Create/join an active guild with events to keep me regularly interested and have people to play with regularly.
    Create a voice chat server where communication is easier to follow than the UO Interface.

This is on top of the obvious stuff like Champ Spawns and Bosses and High Seas content.

Ferrut, Miri of Sonoma and Zosimus like this.
  6. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Stratics Legend
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

WEES MISSES OLD GYSIE BERR MUCHES . BUT WEES KEEP IN TOUGH.
    HER TOON ICKY ROEBLOSSOM WAS AN GOBLIN, AND VERY WELLED RPED HERZ.
    SHE COOKED, DID GARDENING. IT ALL GOT BORING AFTER A WHILE. FOR HER
    WISH THEY WOULD BRING HAVEING TO EAT BACK.
    *HUGS OLD GYPSIE*

7. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Ah I can still smell the newbiness scent after all these years. :) In GW2 we love newbies. They are so cute and fun to work with when they ask questions on a map and such :) I like your enthusiasms and wish you well on your write ups.

old gypsy been around for a while playing for years. Pretty safe to speak for old gypsy and say "been there done that. "

8. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

For me....sometimes I just need a break from the game. I've left & returned so many times I've lost count. But I always come back and there is always something that piques my interest.

Gamer_Goblin likes this.
  9. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

It's good to see others' thoughts on this. I think we all have moments when we question why we continue to play (or continue to feel so attached after we leave for a time). It's true that UO has tremendous content and almost endless possibilities. Some players can happily explore all of it and never experience burnout. Others, like myself, may find that trying to be Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief (so to speak) eventually becomes more of a stress than a pleasure. Even now, I think about whether or not I might be able to come back at some point; but I suspect that's merely wishful thinking. I'll do a "Scarlett O'Hara" for the present and possibly think about it tomorrow... next month... next year... although I might be wise to try not to think about it at all. :confused:

Gamer_Goblin likes this.
  10. Spock's Beard

I just got a couple friends of mine back into the game and we're having a blast. Have a little guild going where we recruit mostly returning veterans and help them get re-acclimated. Been farming the Abyss and blowing up merchant ships in Tokuno mostly.

11. Gamer_Goblin

I look forward to the day you come back. I remember during RTB farming up a recipe in a dungeon with you all on Chesapeake and having ice cream on Goblin island. Good times.

old gypsy likes this.
  12. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

My days with the Pitmuck goblins were the best of all. However, as someone much wiser then I once observed, "To every thing there is a season..." :grouphug:

13. Philly

Philly Journeyman
    The Valorian Knights

I understand completely what you have said Gypsy although I never had the pleasure of playing with you, I have played 17 1/2 years and wasn't a young thing when I started. There are days when I say to my self "self why are you logging on today?" There is housework cooking family all kinds of things instead of sitting down to another night of UO. even though we may not know everyone that plays this game we all have a common bond. the love of this game. I wish you the very very best Gypsy *bows*

Lord Frodo likes this.
  14. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

@old gypsy a lot of us can relate to how you are doing especially those of us in our golden years. I have been here for 17+ years and like you started late in life playing UO and it was a great time consumer, maybe too great as I did spend a lot of time with UO. Last year I forced to take a break real life needs, family always comes first. I have returned to the game but have scaled back a lot and really play for the fun of it. Mainly all I do is crafting and fishing with a few EM events thrown in and most of my chars are just collecting dust. I still have everything but did cut back to two accounts so it was not so over whelming. Take a vacation and when, not if but when you come back remember why you started and your first chars and try not to play all of them but just play a few of them.

15. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

I started playing UO in 2000 when I was 13. I turned 29 this year.

My accounts are still open mostly because they've been there so long, not so much that I still even play. I hop on every now and then for a bit, but there are so many other games that take up my leisure time (Like ArcheAge, and ArcheAge, sometimes ArcheAge or ArcheAge...) that I don't even know why I bother with UO anymore.

But I continue because I started and kept going.

16. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

ArcheAge should have been awesome. Shame they messed it up so badly.

Seelendolch likes this.
  17. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

UO gets in your blood, most always wander back. I've learned to bank and beetle all I can when I decide to 'quit this silly *bleep!* game and never come back... :rant2: :rolleyes:

You give it all away that first time, then never again. :p

Lord Frodo likes this.
  18. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

I have a few months away every 8-12 months typically. But nearly every time I do I let my houses go IDOC and loose everything! I'll never learn. Lost my castle last year by about 4 days :)