1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

SA Client Q and A

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Supreem, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Supreem

Supreem Founder, Citadel Studios
    VIP Stratics Veteran

There's been a lot of buzz about the "SA Client" that was revealed along with the expansion announcement this weekend. This post will hopefully answer some of your questions about the plan for this client.

Q. Is the SA Client a completely new client?

Yes and No. It's built on top of the existing KR technology but there will be enough changes made to make look and feel significantly different.

Q. Do you have to use the SA Client to experience the new content?

NO. All of the expansion pack content will be available for play in both clients. (Assuming you have bought the expansion)

Q. Will there be new art?

Yes and No. We hope to have the UI completely reskinned to give it a more "Stygian" feel. We also hope to touch up some of the terrain textures used in the client. For world art, our current plan is to use a mix of 2d and KR artwork (basically pick the best of the best from each). The mobs will use the art from KR.

Q. What sort of things are you planning on improving?

Leurocian already talked a little about the map improvements we've made. We are also implementing a legacy targeting mode for those who don't like the KR system. We also have a laundry list of systems we want to improve including but not limited to: sound, chat, inventory, and targeting.

Q. That's all great but what about performance and bugs?

This is our major focus. We are doing lots of things to improve performance. We have already seen considerable improvements in performance over the KR client. As for bugs, we will be spending almost half of the time allocated to work on the client specifically fixing the bugs from KR. Our number one goal is to make the new client as solid and bug free as possible.

Q. What about UI mods?

At the very least it will use the same system for modding as KR. If we have time we have some great ideas for improving the system. Existing KR mods will need to be updated to work with the new client.

2. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Could you just clarify this a little bit for me? I took this as meaning that SA will be useable by both the 2D and 3D clients. Is that the case?

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

That is the case, yes.

4. Setnaffa

Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks! That does clear up a few questions from last week.

I was kind of hoping you guys were moving towards a Gamebryo rendered 3D environment, but I can work with the KR client.

5. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

You have no idea how happy that makes me.
    *does the happy dance*

6. Aboo

Aboo Guest

I'm slow today, couldn't post before the answer was already there!

Thanks Jeremy for the reply!

7. Zym Dragon

Zym Dragon Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I'm glad to see that the client will still be moddable! :D

Regarding the sound, is there going to be an option to use all of the original sound effects with the SA client? I feel that the different sound effects in KR are one of the big issues that make the KR client feel like a different game.

As for the art, will the item art and house tiles be cleaned up? Most of the item art looks like it's a low res render. The items that did appear to be finished look great.

8. Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Yes people, Stygian Abyss is playable in 3D!

Here's what to expect...

Note for those who don't get it: Stygian Abyss was the title of the first Ultima Underworld game, where the dungeon made up the entire game world. It still makes it onto random "top 100" game lists even today.

9. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Will the SA client require significantly higher specs than the KR client did?

My personal suggestion (feel free to skip) is that you let the new client become truly high-end, give up on having one client (it's just not going to work), let the legacy client continue to coast along, and market a genuinely higher-end, new client to newer players and those who are just into gaming generally, rather than into UO.

-Galen's player

10. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

So how is this a "new"(SA) client and not just KR tweaking renamed?

11. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Yay!
    Now give us modders beta access once it's ready for that so we can convert them in time for release :)

12. o2bavr6

o2bavr6 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

What about bugs that affect the 2d client?

What about PvP balance?

Why would you put resources into SA before balancing PvP?

13. LadyNico

LadyNico Always Present

Q: Will there be pink unicorns?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:hug:

14. Seismic

Seismic Guest

If this hasn't been suggested or mentioned already:

Please, please sharpen up the graphics that you end up choosing from KR. They seem to be really blurry! I'm sure you already knew this but it just bugs me so much!

15. These two alone are enough for me to want to give the 'new' client another chance! (even if it is hard for an old dog to learn new tricks :hahaha: )

16. lucitus

lucitus UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

That sounds nice, please take also a view about the "broken" animations (Crook, Testubo) in models.

Also take a look over the fantastic Skins are available for KR Client, for instance the BitterBlack. If you need help we are here ;)

And may I ask, when this especially "bugfixes" are planned to bring out? I know "SA" is launchend 2009, but i think the Client should be tested earlier or?

17. athos_uo

athos_uo Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I can't understand yet well. If we can play without SA client, only with 2D client or with KR, why is the SA client needed?

18. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Here's a Q: can you show us the redone Gargoyles already? Seeing as you already showed the townhall it shouldn't be a problem, yes?

Pretty sure the KR client will be upgraded into the SA client. That or he means a new version of the client that comes from buying the expansion for 2D and KR.

19. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

We all know what the new client really is ... hehe

[​IMG]

20. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Nice self portrait, Kojak. ^^

"hehe"

21. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I'll be happy to test these on my system.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2 (3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.070321-2337)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Model: P5K Premium
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Page File: 1619MB used, 18428MB available
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT

As it is, KR still lags my system after about 20 minutes.

22. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I thought the bluriness was because I play UO without my glasses on. Glad it's not just me.

You said it.

The SA client (at least in my understanding) is a revamp of the KR client. I guess you should think of it as a new version of the same thing. (Think Xbox 360 & Xbox 360 Elite versions) But again, this is just my thoughts. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.

23. Magnus

Magnus Journeyman

I am not quite sure how this works. SA is a addition to KR, therefore is the 'Kingdom Reborn' client going to disappear and become the 'Stygian Abyss' client. Will it remain free, or will it be only for SA - As in, if I don't buy SA will I be stuck with just 2D, or with the old KR client without any of the features from SA, and if I buy SA, will I be unable to use KR?

Pretty much what I'm asking is, what happens to KR? And.. When can we get some shots/the video from the townhall? :D

24. athos_uo

athos_uo Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Oh, thanks, Crysta and Black_Sun!

Then, KR will be substituted by SA. And we can play SA with SA client. And we can play SA also with 2D client as is. Is this the ultimate answer?

25. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Glad I could help.

As Jeremy pointed out back at the top of the thread SA will be playable in the 2D client as well as the SA client.

26. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable

That's a good question. Will the SA client be available only in the purchased expansion?

27. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

To be honest my biggest complaint with KR is targeting and the containers.

Targeting you guys understand but to me the Containers just take up too much of the screen. Movement is another point I don't like it seems too "floaty"

28. Ailish

Ailish Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Ugh, the containers are nasty looking and probably the #1 reason I used legacy artwork before my vid card had cardiac arrest and left me unable to use the client.

I wouldnt call the movement "floaty" ... I would call it SLIPPERY! I have literally skated past my destination numerous times because the movement is a bit TOOO smooth.

29. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Yes that's my complaint as well. The 2D client seems to move and handle much much better. It's annoying to be trying to move around in the current KR client only to overshoot a destination by 3-4 tiles causing you to have to backtrack.

30. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Dear Supreem,

My biggest concern is not which client is available although I am very excited about SA so thank you all! My concern is the same scenario repeating itself that happened with KR.

A great opportunity was missed on getting players to accept KR and though the bulk of it seemed to be able to actually run it, I feel the main reason was lack of time to perfect it. I'm glad to hear no release date has been set for SA...yet. I want it to be as successful as you developers envision. For the love of all goddesses, please do not let anyone rush this one out. Let the majority of players let you know when it's ready. We are the best advertisement of SA you'll get so don't put it on the shelf or internet when others interested can hop on the forums and read the smack down of how no one can run it or other tweaks that need to be done before it is ready.

I can't wait to be see what you have in store!

Hugs,
    Airmid

31. Experimental

Experimental Lore Keeper

At the Seattle Town Hall, when coloured pets were mentioned, there was an immediate and very loud "NO" from Jeremy and company...
    I don't think they like pink unis.

32. Gwendolynne

Gwendolynne Guest

Will you restore or fix the 2D artwork, i.e. roads, dungeon walls, etc., that was changed due to KR artwork patches?

33. Nystul

Nystul Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Is it going to look as terrible as KR in the sense of items being stretched/shrunk & blury? With terrian, players, the map, etc. all dull and running together with the only vibrant and 'specific' colors the spell effects?

KR performed better for me than 2d overall, but it was difficult to play because I couldnt recogonize players easily, hard to tell them apart etc. I don't have that problem with 2d...

34. Pickaxe Pete

Pickaxe Pete Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I think that the SA client will be 'packaged' and released with, or at the same time as, the SA expansion. Thus, even though it is just a client revision, it will be easiest for the playerbase to remember what it is by referring to it as the 'SA client.'

35. LadyNico

LadyNico Always Present

*whispers to Experimental:- Psst! The pink uni is Supreem.*

36. Experimental

Experimental Lore Keeper

Yeah, I know, but he wasn't there. Cal was though. :D

37. Probably because PVP has very little to do with the client. That's a server thing.

And the number of people affected by the client is a great deal higher than the ones who PVP.

38. Beefybone

Beefybone Visitor

Please please please fix the weapons that float out of my hands. Tetsubo, and some others.

39. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I bet he would, if he were an artist.

40. Gonna give the graphics back some kind of border so there's less fuzzy blur?

41. Vallend

Vallend Sage

That was my biggest problem with KR everything was way to blurry. I would look at common items I see everyday in 2D and wonder what in the world is that suppose to be. Throw in that how I loved my characters looked in 2D and then log into KR only to say "OMG the armor and the clothing looks completely stupid in KR."
    Plus I have spent close to 11 years using the same interface to play the game so I am set in my ways. I want a UI that mimics the one I am use to and a player can simply adjust to add the new things they want from the SA client.

42. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

What is a mob?

Can it use 2d packs and not the crappy ones in KR

43. Zym Dragon

Zym Dragon Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

"mob" is shorthand for Mobile. He's talking about the monsters, animals, etc.

44. Devil_Woman

Devil_Woman Guest

45. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Gonna react to this a Q/A at a time:

At the end of the KR focus group and the end of constant KR patches, I had three possibilities running through my head. I didn't like to entertain any of them on these boards since I did not have 100% evidence on which one it was... those were:

1. That the Devs did not have a big enough team to work on KR after the move but would start doing periodical updates in the future.

2. That the Devs had taken the feedback from the KR forum, Focus Group and Bug Reports and would end up working on a 're-release' of KR as one huge update.

3. That the nay-sayers were right and that KR was left to die.

Looks like it's option #2. And while the NAME of the client will change from KR to SA, I'm ok with that. Even if people consider it ending the KR client in favor of a new client, if the new client is an improvement on what we have now, I'm more than willing to make the jump again.
    This still saddens me and I still believe it is a mistake because we STILL will not see what the full potential of the new client can be if the Legacy client has to be accounted for as well. So a bad mark on the Devs from me for this one.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE retain the terrain and foliage graphics from KR and swap to an upgraded version (think Saphireena's style) of the item artwork. The BIGGEST problem I had with artwork, aside from as Zym put it earlier in the thread, that being that much of it started out in a lower resolution than it should have been, is that the EQUIPMENT artwork was so radically different that you literally had to "relearn" what your weapons and armor looked like as items.

I look forward to seeing these.

Let's get as MANY bugs as possible and p3erformance as smooth as possible BEFORE it releases... PLEASE.

THANK YOU. We (myself and those I talk to and partner with on the Exchange) were aware that we would probably be affected by these changes and we are also willing to restart our work from square one to see what has changed, what we can take out, and where we should go with our various UI Mods.

I look forward to seeing the new client. I hope it blows us away.

46. Fluffi

Fluffi Slightly Crazed

Whilst not wishing to look like a naysayer concerning something none of us have seen yet, how about concentrating on the FUNCTIONALITY of the interface, rather than the pretty stuff.

Some time ago, Jeremy posted here asking us what we wanted from the KR interface. My response at the time was "at least ALL the functionality that I can get from 2D with Assist and UOAM."

As far as I am aware, that baseline still has not been met in UOKR, which is why I remain a 2D player. The same minimum requirement will apply to any new client.

Examples of where KR failed in this respect:

1) My tamer hunts with a pack of frenzies.. F1 = vet pet 1, F2 = vet pet 2, F3 = vet pet 3, etc.

2) Thief-proof backpacks. If I go to the effort of burying an item beneath a runebook in my pack, I don't want my protagonist to see that item just because they are using a client which has a "view packs as a grid" option.

3) Mapping was a disaster the last time I tried it. In 2D, I can currently:
    a) Pull the map to fullscreen on my second monitor.
    b) Actually tell the difference between walkable and non-walkable routes. (Try using the KR map in the Lost Lands)
    c) Track anyone who gives me permission (by logging onto a UOAM server), regardless of Guild.

There are a couple of riders I'd like to add to this post before the KR fans leap on me:

1) If all of these omissions have been fixed, please don't flame me. I read all the patch notes, and from what I have read, these issues haven't yet been addressed. (If they have, then I will apologise here and download and use the current UOKR client.)

2) Don't even think about the "UOAssist is a cheat program" argument.

47. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Here's your answer (and no, I don't flame (usually, depends on the attitude of the person I'm responding to))...

1. Yes, this is a problem and hopefully will be improved with the revamp.

2. To my knowledge, Snooping forces the container into a "freeform"/"legacy" view. The problem comes in that the item placement between 2d and KR isn't perfect, thus some things that were not visible in 2d can be visible in KR. If ANYONE has Snooping experience in KR and can show that the backpack view from snooping can be OTHER Than freeform, I'd like to see it and I'll concede the point.

3a. To be fair, this is with UOAM, not with the 2d client. With Dual Monitor in 2d with UOAM you can run one in wondowed on one screen and one on the other. In KR you can stretch the window across the 2 screens, but I do not recommend it from a performance standpoint.

3b. Check UOSkins.com. A fellow modder has released the legacy maps to replace the current KR maps. There are some zooming issues with them, but otherwise, they're legacy map goodness.

3c. Yes, this functionality is not yet in, legitimate issue.

3d. My own additions here, in the Default KR UI, the coordinates for inputting a waypoint are backwards. We have fixed this in our custom UIs as well as adding the sextant coordinates as a label underneath the radar map. Also, having Wandering Healers and Ress points as a waypoint and graphical markers of waypoints ingame are a BIG step ahead IMO from UOAM. We just need to get the rest of that program's function in KR.

There... no flames :)

48. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Does this mean the art (especially for items, especially for house decorations) will be more consistent in design between 2D and KR?

49. Sabbath

Sabbath Guest

Great news! This really makes my year...yeah, I don't get out much.

50. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

That is EXACTLY what I would have typed about KR. I tried KR many times and no matter how much I tried to adapt,I couldn`t do it.I don`t want to re-learn how to play a game I`m so familiar with. The amount of frustration it caused wasn`t worth the switch to me.