1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Sadness...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by kelmo, Feb 28, 2013.

1. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

As many of us feared, general chat is getting just like many other shards. One more step toward the average...

Sadly, much of the trash talk comes from Siege regulars. So we will have one less difference to offer.

I am all for the population explosion. I am no longer going to hang out in general chat and see all the work so many of us that stayed and tryed to make Siege cool and different just destroyed. I will stay in help channel for now... That is my only real option. I could spend all my time paging on players that can not follow rules...

I spend enough of my time on that sort of thing... I had wished Siege general chat would remain different. I know now it will not.

I will be in help channel when I play. Or PM me on Stratics. I do not use ICQ.

2. Rumpy

Rumpy Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sounds like enjoyment!

3. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Sweet baby Jesus does anyone use that anymore?

4. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I would take a guess that at least 50% or more of stratics users do.

keel likes this.
  5. Ron Silverbeard

Ron Silverbeard Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I would even say icq is as epic as UO is....

DJAd likes this.
  6. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

The problem with gen chat is, you can only be in one chat at the time. Lets say it was possible to be in more than one chat and it had different keys and colors, We could make a PvP chat too, but the PvP'ers could be in gen chat too.
    That would also allow be to be in both gen and help chat.

Lyconis likes this.
  7. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni TnT/TnA

The chat moves too quickly now. Mostly with ridiculous BS. I stopped paying attention to it soon after I returned.

8. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I have that problem too, very hard to see if someone need a NEW leader when it goes so fast.

Hattori Hanzo likes this.
  9. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

I don't pay much attention to General Chat either when it starts scrolling up the screen on a topic I'm not interested in, particularly if it's a couple of pkers doing their standard chest thumping or making cheat accusations because they lost a fight. Only chat messages I normally read are in Guild or Alliance color.

10. Retlaw of Vesper

Retlaw of Vesper Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

When I started a month or so ago the only thing General Chat seemed to be used for was Help, which was a huge reason I started to play here. Everyone was VERY kind with new players asking questions, looking to buy things, trying to figure Siege out. I do think all these would be valid topics for the Help channel, leaving General for the trash talk.

The issue of course, as Freja stated, is having to choose which room to be in. With the current mechanics of the chat system General Chat is where most people will be to see your message, whatever the subject matter.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Kelmo, I definetly think the same (and I will page, even if it is just now and then that soemone is getting banned)!

12. chise2

chise2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Arrr & Yarr Pirates!

Yeah pretty much, I think there is still some good conversations and such that go on though. So its not all bad. Like Freja said what we really need is the ablity to be in more then one chat at a time. I am not surprised that general chat has become like this. To be honest its been heading this direction for awhile. I still think its not that bad though. Maybe thats because I have learned to ignore most of the trash talk/whining and so on or just laugh at it.

Hattori Hanzo likes this.
  13. Donal Mor

Donal Mor Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend LDH

Suggested change for Siege and Mugen. Get rid of the global chat function. One of the formerly great things about UO was that communication was localized. You wanted to talk to someone, you had to find common geographic ground. This gave taverns and player run towns a purpose. This gave territory meaning. It gave the 'game' experience a sense of place. Most players had a work around with ICQ and later on with things like Ventrilo, but for the most part players still felt the need to go places to talk to people. No more.

Tjalle, Retlaw of Vesper and Rumpy like this.
  14. Rumpy

Rumpy Slightly Crazed

Ohh look at you go! Bigman over here.

15. chise2

chise2 Sage

Agreed I mean sure I kinda like general chat it can be very useful. But it really killed the need for playertowns like you said and just the need to actually go out in the world and find people. Now you can just sit in your house all day and talk in general chat. If people had to actually go out in the world more it would make the shard seem much more lively too.

16. Hattori Hanzo

That is great to hear. I always have general chat on just to catch those kinds of discussions. But, when the chat is dominated with elementary school argument, I just tune out it all out.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of good conversation in General chat. I have met people, sold stuff, bought stuff, learned stuff, and taught stuff.

17. Hattori Hanzo

There is value in this suggestion.

Tiberius likes this.
  18. Mitzlplik_LS

Mitzlplik_LS Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I just get sick of the childish BS thats spewed out on GC. Its no different than prodo noobs waving their pixel peens. I don`t care who beat who or who thinks they can beat who OR who`s dad can beat who`s dad. Its stupid.

So since I never needed the input of these returning vets or the riff raff thats made its way to SP from other shards........ I simply block them from my viewing pleasure. I only see the same people who I`ve always seen in GC and am oblivious to the idiocy that seems to be the 1337 dude pvp norm.

Sooner than later,these same people will burn out again than repeat that Siege sucks and is fulla stealthers again and than abondon this great shard once again.

I love the influx of new players to Siege and hope ya`ll take the GC BS with a grain of salt and also the dry looting and the regular BS that comes from this crowd. Great players and community has brought players back to this great shard,unfortunately..... it also brought back the dark element too. People who just want to kill anyone anywhere and dry loot ya down the the pair of scissors you carry. You types of PVP`rs are laughable and disgusting at the same time, useless and serve no purpose.

Any new ppl to Siege who have problems in keeping armor or weapons or anything due to being dry looted several times..... don`t despair.... or quit... PM me or holla for Carhartt ingame and I`ll do my best make ya whatever ya need to keep ya in armor/weapons and interested in Siege.

19. FrejaSP

Not really, in old days, we was using IRC, I was in my guilds IRC, Siege IRC and NEW IRC. Siege IRC was not much different than Gen chat, but you could be in other chats too and ignore Siege IRC if it got to heavy.

Lyconis and Hattori Hanzo like this.
  20. chise2

chise2 Sage

Also to any new people reading this please donlt think that every pk will dryloot you. Many will not.

21. Donal Mor

Donal Mor Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend LDH

Freja, some of the more hardcore PvP guilds used IRC (like UDL probably did but they are in a league of their own), but none of the great RP guilds did, to my knowledge. LDH never did. I certainly never did. I don't think IRCs use was particularly huge... not in the way ICQ was ubiquitous.

#21 Donal Mor, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  22. FrejaSP

The Battle Vortex guys was running a Siege IRC too. At that time IRC was easy to set up and I know there was also a anti PK chat, where people could call for help. I'm not sure why it died, maybe UOA map and voice chat took over.

23. Alekslandr

Alekslandr Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Riff Raff, is that a nice way to talk about people (like myself) who came to SP from other shards! I'm speechless (well not quite)!!!

24. Freelsy

Freelsy Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

"We need more players"

...gets more players!!!

"these players are talking to much"

...get rid of the new players!!!

legendsguy and GarthGrey like this.
  25. Tazar

Tazar Guest

I still think Siege General Chat is very nice and relaxing... but then - I compare it to Atlantic.

26. chise2

chise2 Sage

Thats a good point we may see more trash talk and stuff now then in the past but it is still better then some othershards. Really I think it was bound to happen with all the people we have been getting on Siege.

27. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

There are occasional louts & losers in every group of people. Most like being part of the group, a few like being a problem for the group. Such is life.

28. Hattori Hanzo

I don't mind when there is a couple minutes of talk following a battle or PK or theft, etc. It just gets monotonous when it goes on and on and is juvenile.

Also, I do not think this issue is caused by people new to SP.

kelmo likes this.
  29. HoldenCaulfield

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crimson Savages CLAN

I chuckle at a lot of it, it is quite funny. It is nice to be mature and sophisticated at times too, but my vendors have been selling more than ever, I see people on at all times and I look forward to playing again.

legendsguy likes this.
  30. chise2

chise2 Sage

Yeah I think Siege being way more active now is worth a little more trash talk in general chat. I would rather have more trash talk in general chat then go back to Siege being a "dead" shard.

legendsguy and HoldenCaulfield like this.
  31. HoldenCaulfield

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crimson Savages CLAN

Plus I think people can control their own experience by ignoring players if they are annoyed. General chat can be whatever you want it to be...

32. Mitzlplik_LS

Mitzlplik_LS Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

No I didn`t mean they all do or will. Theres great pvp`rs and great pk`rs......and than theres the bad apples who think its cool to dry loot sumone of things they will just throw away anyways.

And no I wasn`t referring to the general population or to anyone new to Siege in particular. I was referring to those my post is about. If you dry loot anything you see and talk like a 3 year old in GC than I guess it would refer to you.... if not,than... no :thumbup: Welcome to Siege!

I guess I got used to the civilized more mature GC that up till recently was very nice to see. But its very easy to filter these individuals out of my chat stream,so its all good. Like their not even there.

33. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

I've got two characters belonging to one player on my block list. If he's in a group discussion it can make my taking part a problem since I'm not seeing everything said. In his case, it's worth it though, his act has gotten way past old. <shrugs>

34. Hattori Hanzo

I agree in principle, support a balance that does not turn people off enough that they leave? Better yet, lets have conversations that don't cause people who stay to ignore general chat or turn it off?

35. chise2

chise2 Sage

Oh I definately agree ideally people would keep the crap out of general chat. I personally donlt talk trash or do very rarely. But from what I have heard our chat is still much better even with this increase in trash talking then many other shards.

#35 chise2, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  36. Lyconis

Lyconis Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I was hoping when the global chat feature was implemented it would be more like IRC or other MMRPG's like Anarchy Online. Having multiple chat rooms that you can be in at the same time for things like shopping, hunting, PVP, etc is a great feature.

It's a shame that general chat is used for everything and is overwhelmed by the "Gen-chat PVP" which generally makes the entire shard look like inbred numpties commonly found on:

37. Saul_Siege

Saul_Siege Adventurer

Seems its the same trash it's always been fouling things up.

Why is this a surprise to any here? Many old timers continually tolerate the worst offenders and excuse their behaviour as being needed for the server because "all types are needed."

While I agree to an extent I have started to report these worst ones.

We can try to continue to live under the illusion that the greifers are somehow good for the shard, or we can acknowledge that their anti social psychopathic behaviour is a direct reason for the turnover rate in a 15 year old game tht is not growing but rather declining.

Wake up. Report the people who aren't helpful and just move on. I'm guilty of falling into troll bait myself, I know it can be a challenge.

Blaeke and kelmo like this.
  38. FrejaSP

Where is the dislike option? I sure dislike what you say here Saul
    Are you sure you are speaking about Siege and our gen chat?

chise2 likes this.
  39. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

I can think of several occasions where what he says has been true Freja. <shrugs> Such bull pops up in chat here now and then and gets chat turned off.

I imagine such bull has been one of the nails in the coffins of many closed accounts over the years. How many piles of dog droppings you have to walk around and step over can appear in the backyard before it gets tiresome enough you just stop walking in the backyard?

T'Challa likes this.
  40. chise2

chise2 Sage

Yeah it wouldn;t be so bad if people can be on different channels at the same time.

41. Saul_Siege

Saul_Siege Adventurer

Ok maybe I exaggerated a bit. I will say on my 2nd day back for there to be a huge peen waving contest for 30 minutes in general during primetime almost turned me off from even trying to return. It was the fact that there are still plenty of helpful people in the channel who like to chat that had me just blow off the pvp smack talk as not being a big deal for me personally.

42. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I titled this thread sadness. I meant it. I kinda got caught up in the myth that Siege players were more mature and not so prone to the waving of 'e-genitalia' as so many other general chats across the entire spectrum of gaming live chat. I am wrong. The so called civilized adult chat goes out the window at the drop of a helm, hat or corpse.

I will admit that I am by no means innocent, I have been a 'chat warrior' at times. Thinking back on it, I wonder why. Some say the pen is mightier than the sword... I suppose that might include a keyboard. *shrugs* I have thought on some of the "chat" I have been responsible for, and I am not proud.

Verbal sparring is often a match of intellectually challenged individuals trying to 'one up' one another. No one wins that match. No matter how you spin it, it comes down to the rubber>glue thing.

I have paged on many 'chat warriors' that I know have violated the newest terms of service EA has posted. Who knows what success rate. I have used ignore with some success... But seeing partial discussions is just silly.

I assure you all I am all for this population explosion and the return of many Siege Veterans. I still wish to help and converse with all that play this wonderful game on this shard that is like no other. To all the friends I have made out there, I am always on help chat when I am in game.

Oddly enough the silence of help chat is nice. I do miss so many of you folks. Some of you I miss not at all.

Rieley and Mitzlplik_LS like this.
  43. chise2

chise2 Sage

Yeah the general chat pvp and trash talk does get old. But to be honest it still is only a small part of general chat over all. Most of the time conversations are civil and nice.

Tanivar and Rumpy like this.
  44. Rumpy

Rumpy Slightly Crazed

Ive taken a step back from GC

45. FrejaSP

I agree, PvP smack talk can be annoying, maybe we need the guilds to set some intern rules for how their members act in the chat. You won't get rid of PvP speak in the chat and I would not want that.
    In the past, some of our large PvP guilds had rules for how to act vs their enemy ingame, that could work in chat too. It takes 2 to start a fight in the chat, if only one part try, it will die out very fast.

It may also sounds worse for new Siege players than for the old one, who know the story behind the dislike of some players.

I believe we all can do alot to keep the chat clean and this thread may help it.

One think more, instead of calling a GM, try to remind the ones who run wild in the chat, that not all wamt to listen to their trash talk, it may stop it. Today I just had to ask "did we get kids in the chat today" and both sides did stop. Many times the trash talkers just forget how annoying it is for others to listen to it, a little reminder may be enough if done with a smile.

#45 FrejaSP, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    Adrianas and Mitzlplik_LS like this.
  46. Saul_Siege

Saul_Siege Adventurer

Those are great suggestions Rumpy!!

I think ill do that for myself as well. It's easy to get lost in the moment.

47. Adrianas

Adrianas Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Gilfane

I've gotten quite good at either reading general chat or tuning it out - depending on the maturity of the chatter. Sometimes I read it because it's downright hilarious. Since Kelmo posted this general chat has calmed down a little. But I think that is not because of this post, but because some of it is actually a matter of good growing pains - as in: old guildies are getting back together, which is a high unto itself, and then they do battle and they're pumped up even more, and things start to runaway in general chat. But as these guilds get re-established, the chatter starts to die down again. It becomes a case of "enough talk - if you're that good/bad*** show me."

I still completely believe that Siege is the 'mature' shard - not always in speech or action, but the players here tend to be older. We do have a couple of true youngins' running around I know (Otto's kids), but they have said only a word or two in general chat. And that is something that might also help with cooling down after the heat of battle - while we are probably 95% over the age of 21 (shoot, sometimes I think it's over the age of 40) on this shard, we never know when there might be youngins' learning the game their dad/mom plays - and we do owe it to them to try and blow up in Vent with guildies rather than general chat - unless we want to encourage these young players to grow up and speak like the less mature players on this shard. And I don't think any of us want that!

#47 Adrianas, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  48. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

:thumbsup:

49. Alekslandr

Alekslandr Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

"Come back, Shane!" (A quote from an old movie with Alan Ladd, Jack Palance, Jean Arthur, and Brandon de Wilde...)

50. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*smiles* Siege general chat no longer needs the likes of me.