1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Saltpeter mining broken?

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Aurelius, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

So maybe it's the RNG, but....

Since the last Publish, I've mined precisely zero saltpeter in the usual spots I work ('dungeon' areas in Trammel, mainly the passages to Lost Lands). I know you don't find much, but I could reliably expect for an hour or so of mining to get at least 1-2 saltpeter deposits, now though absolutely none seem to be showing up. In desperation I've tried all the settings possible on the pickaxe for ore, ore and stones, ore and gems - couple of hours on each setting made no difference, still no saltpeter. Tried varying the luck on my miner up to the mid 1400s, still nothing.He's 100 skill plus mining gloves, and never had any difficulty getting the stuff in the past.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm certainly not going to buy the stuff off the NPCs, who are currently asking 250 per 'unit', since 6 are needed to make a single black powder!

2. zamot

zamot Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I have tried this just now and have been unable to mine saltpeter also. something else that I have noticed is that I fail at smelting bronze ore and higher at a significant high rate. I do have 100 mining real skill. It seems that something is wrong . Luckily I have a stash of saltpeter. I just hope that it is fixed before I run out.

3. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Frarc checked earlier, he was able to mine saltpeter.
    I believe he got it in the abyss.

4. zamot

zamot Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I tried in despise, and the cave going to Dread horn. I burned thru 10 shovels and did not get a single niter deposit. What skills does Frarc have on his character? Is he using the mining gloves to get 105 skill? I am not using the gloves and am at 100
    How much luck? I have 1490 without the statue.

I do not have blacksmith on this character, does Frarc?

5. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

I was able to mine Saltpeter in the Abyss near Sutek the mage. I have a 1889 Luck Suit + 850 (2739) Luck from the statue. To mine Saltpeter, just dig 1 time . If no saltpeter comes up on first dig, move a few steps and try again. Saltpeter always comes up at first dig i their is any.

6. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

No gloves, no smithing . Just GM mining in a luck suit.

This Screenshot was taken at 15:43 CEST my time when Petra mentioned it to me and i went to check it out. Thats about 4,5 hours ago.

[​IMG]

#6 Frarc, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  7. zamot

zamot Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks for responding. I have been mining it that way. One dig and move on if no niter deposit shows up. I only went to check when I saw the thread about having issues.

8. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Wonder if they have just tweaked the 'dungeons' and passages to Lost Lands, then ... I'll try exploring other places and see what happens!

9. zamot

zamot Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Must be RNG. I went out to try again and dug a deposit up within 3 swings. Spirituality gate in Ilsh. Thanks for the help Frarc

Oh I did increase my luck to 1690, other than that nothing changed between trys

Also, I still am failing at smelting Bronze ore. I will admit that I have not been mining in a long time but dont remember failing his much at the lower level Ore's

#9 zamot, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  10. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I was able to get niter pretty quick with 1420 luck while boat mining.

11. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

I get niter all the time, with 0 luck, you're all high. :p

12. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

Aye, you don't need luck to get the nitter but the blocks you find ahve more chance to be massive ones. :)

13. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

After much mining, I think the issue may be a mixture of things ...

Still getting absolutely none in the 'tunnels' to the lost lans where I did most of my mining in the past, and I'm reasonably sure even the RNG does not hate me THAT much - whereas mining in Covetous has suddenly started producing lots of saltpeter (and ironically verite and valorite!) so that may be down to the RNG, and I'm guessing at some point in recent patches the status of the tunnel areas was changed from counting as 'dungeons' for mining.